iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

one man saw vs. two man saw and a few questions

Started by rebocardo, July 11, 2003, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I think that's the common dress code in that area because of the heat.
Even the tree guys work in shorts.
I know how bad it gets up here in the tree tops when it hits 80oF I can only imagine what they go through down that way.

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, we wear the same outfit for all occasions. Same outfit for diving, shopping, church, funerals, etc. If not, it's a lead-pipe cinch that yer a "tourista".  :D :D :D :D  Specially if ya got them "lily White" stems, stickin outta them short chaps.  :D :D :D :D
  In the dead of winter, we wear Corduroy Chaps and MAYBE even,  :o Socks :o   ;D ;D
  I sweat so bad, that leather boots will rot in 6 months. The climate is NOT conducive to good drying conditions. ::)
  There was only 1 chunk of log where I went down. We keep the area around the mill cleaned up really well, ALL the time. I HATE to step over stuff and stumble around in a work area. I regularly use a rake to knock down the sawdust pile, even.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin

Hey Dead; We know you're safe, we're just pulling your pontoon.  :D
Nobody could stay alive this long doing what you're doing without having at least one eye open.

Fla._Deadheader

I know DAT :D :D :D :D
That's anudder reason why I got these stinkin glasses. Tired of trying to figger out which side of the traffic to pass on??? ??? ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

chet

Hey deadheader,
 If Kev & I wore dat outfit up here in da dead of winter, our lily white legs would be popcicle sticks.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

Chet, when do you hang up the hooks for the season?

chet

Don't hang them up. Started in the business in '74 and have not been off since, we work all year long. Winters can be tough, but then again dar ain't no bugs. Actually I prefer working in winter, I'm not a real fan of working in heat.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

I wouldn't think there would be enough customer demand to keep you busy through the winter months.

chet

My sideline work slows way down in winter. But my day job subcontrating to the electric utilities is a 52 week a year job.

Kevin

How's the competition in your area?
I think we have about three tree services here that advertise.

Kevin

chet

Yup, dats the differance 'tween you and me Kev  ;)  You can hang from dem communication lines, but dar ain't no way I am going to hang from or touch high voltage 'lectric wires.   :o

Kevin

I have Buckinghams Pro Series saddle which allows me to switch over to the bosun for that type of work.
Those flat sole boots I bought just for footlocking.

Mark M

Ski-use my ig-no-rance, but what da heck is footlocking?

Mark

chet

Footlocking is a method of asending up a rope using your feet to hold your position while you regrip to pull yurself further up.

It's kinda like doing one arm pull-ups with 50#  tied to yer ankles.  :'(

Kevin

Mark;
In my case I take a single wrap of the rope around my left foot and lock the rope on top of my left boot with the right foot.
The rope gets locked between the top of the left foot and the bottom of the right.
You stand up on the rope , grasp the rope, release the footlock , let the slack drop and footlock the rope again advancing up the rope.

rebocardo

I ended up getting a Husky 365 and a 28 inch bar from Baileys along with low kickback 72v chains. It works okay except the oil adjustment screw broke and fell out of the housing on the Husky. I do not think it is lubing the chain anymore (or enough) so I have to return the Husky or get it fixed. It looks like the aluminum housing cracked and fell away <sigh>.

That tree, once I got the weigh off ended up being over 44+ inches wide at the ground when it lifted itself out of the ground and settled back on its ball. The bad news is it got hit by lightening, the center got burned out and near the ground the tree is like glass in some of the lower trunk and immediately dulls the chain. Tree had buried itself two feet+ into the GA clay when it keeled over.

My contract called for 12-18 inches above ground, now because it is so much larger than expected and so tough to cut I have to remove the whole thing now since it is doubtful I can move it like I was expecting and having it pop back into the hole. All the roots are broken/cut down, just it probably weighes a two tons and my winch and 4x4 can't really move it much more to flip it up.

I think next time I am going to get the tools to do a core sample (since the tree looked perfectly healthy) and charge a lot more for hit trees.

Fla._Deadheader

Any way you can split it into at least 2 pieces and drag it out???  Got any pics???
   These guys are great at rigging and might give ya some different angles to look at.
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

Well, my boss's diesel 4x4 dually Ram was not able to move the stump at all and we stopped because I thought the 3/8 chain was going to snap. I am going to knock the dirt off the ball and try to grind it if I have to. I do have pictures the owner took.

Interesting thing was I was using a shovel to clean out the middle of the stump near the dirt so I would not wreck my blade and I found an old green bottle inside the trunk. Says 4/5 quart, Duraglas, and the cork was still inside the bottle. Cool.

rebocardo

Well, I measured the trunk at ground level and it came to 54 inches across, not counting the roots, instead of the 48 further along up the trunk. Here are a couple of pictures:

The tree was 180 degrees flat on the ground. I was ready for the tree to move upwards, backwards, forwards, etc. when I started to cut the trunk in 1/2. I never expected it that it had weighted so much it had buried itself 24 inches into the ground.

https://forestryforum.com/images/04_01_03/index.php
https://forestryforum.com/images/04_01_03/index.php

rebocardo

Here are some pictures after it lifted itself off the ground once I cut the trunk in 1/2.

One more picture:

The piece in the background on the ground was 31 inches diameter. Somewhere I have a picture of those pieces in my 1971 F-100. There is no replacement for displacement, that 390 was working hard.

Thank You Sponsors!