iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Space Shuttle

Started by dnalley, November 20, 2008, 06:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

Just watched the space shuttle pass over...around 6:12 PM here at my place!  Maybe doesn't seem like much to some but kinda thrilled this old man to watch it.  Very clear skies, it looked like a bright star...just thought about those folks trucking along faster than a rifle shot 190 miles above the earth!!  Wonder where those expensive tools are??? 8)

zopi

trackin' that sucker on radar is cool too!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

The weather man used to give us a heads up as to when it was passing by. Maybe it's too far south to see up here. I wouldn't be able to tell it from some jet up there anyway. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Justin L

Have to brag- my cousin may have been flying that! He's a commander on the shuttle, we even got to see him on the NASA channel when he was up there last year.

One time he flew up to my Dads birthday party, in his NASA flight suit. Pretty cool...

I think he went a bit further in school than I did... :-\
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

beenthere

Quote from: Justin L on November 20, 2008, 07:55:23 PM
Have to brag- my cousin may have been flying that! He's a commander on the shuttle, we even got to see him on the NASA channel when he was up there last year.

One time he flew up to my Dads birthday party, in his NASA flight suit. Pretty cool...

I think he went a bit further in school than I did... :-\

Is he Chris Furguson?  Chris is Shuttle Commander on this mission. Been interesting to watch the procedure for changing bearings in the solar panel pivot. Apparently a grease gun exploded, making a mess, and causing the gal space walker to let go of her bag of tools. Floated off into space.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

I'll be wearing my logging cap for a while.  Misplaced tools have a habit of finding me  :-\
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Gary_C

Quote from: OneWithWood on November 21, 2008, 01:05:53 PM
I'll be wearing my logging cap for a while.  Misplaced tools have a habit of finding me  :-\

I have a bunch of missing wrenches, like 1 1/8, 1 1/16, and 1 1/4.  Let me know if you come across them.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

If your like my father, when it comes to tools, they are sitting right there where you were fixing a piece of equipment.  :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_S.

There was a time when shuttle launches were broadcast live on TV. Now, I'll bet most people (me included) don't even know there is currently a shuttle in orbit.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

beenthere

They are on the cable network channel for NASA.

Lots of continuous vids of the spacewalks, and doing things around the space station.

Can get very captivating to watch and consume a lot of time. Especially the live broadcasting.

That is, if you have a dish or cable.  ::) ::)

Now in the 109th orbit of Endeavor mission, and getting a news confernce live with the 10 astraunauts on the space station.

But alas, not on regular TV (that has gone to the dogs, IMO).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on November 21, 2008, 03:01:54 PM

Yup, about 15 years ago. Never been worth turning on since. Except I do watch about 5 PBS programs during the week.

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 21, 2008, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: beenthere on November 21, 2008, 03:01:54 PM

Yup, about 15 years ago. Never been worth turning on since. Except I do watch about 5 PBS programs during the week.

I hope you're sending some Canadian funds in when their having a support drive. :D ;D

SwampDonkey

::) Nope, I've been negligent.  I can't help it if the signal bounces off Mars Hill onto my screen. :-X

low_48

It went over Peoria, IL tonight at 5:39. Very cool. Couldn't help but think of two things, I bet they have a better view than I did, I bet my Dad did the same thing when Sputnik went over. I have a good story about my Dad and lost tools as well. I think he asked for "crescent" wrenches and pliers for 20 years in a row for Christmas. He would crawl under machinery in the field, work on it laying in corn stalks etc..., then loose one of more of those every year. It became a real hoot after a while. He's been gone for 23 years now, DanG. :(

Warbird

I used to have a terrible habit of leaving tools all over the place.  Still sort of bad about it but what helped cure me a bit was when, in high school shop class, the shop teacher said (and I'm quoting loosely by leaving out some colorful words...), "GOOD GRIEF, BOY!  It's a good thing God gave you a sack to put your (marbles) in, otherwise you'd lose those, too!"

I didn't live that one down for the whole year.  :D  I miss that shop teacher.  Tom Murphy.  He lives in Idaho on a farm now, I think.  Truly a good guy.

Ianab

Two thoughts come to mind...

If we drop a tool we have to fossick about in the sawdust and/or weeds to find it.

If they drop a tool it lands 200 miles away at 15,000 mph.

And

If you have ever had a grease gun spring a leak in your tool bag you might be inclined to toss the whole mess overboard rather than bringing it home and tracking grease all over the carpet.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

Watched it go over Marengo last night at 6:40.  Neat stuff.  When camping along the Green river last year in Utah could see about 20 or 30 satellites zip across the sky.  The one last night was much more impressive though.  I like my money going into space.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SPIKER

I guess I have been pretty luck when it comes to the shuttle too, I remember setting in class watching the first teacher go up into space in the 80's, she didn't make it and it was a vary sad day,  :'(   after graduating, I went into USAF, I have seen it land 3 or 4 times @ Edwards AFB when I was on active duty.   Even a very rare NIGHT landing. :) 8)   I was on South Base out there to watch it come in most times as I was stationed there.   I would like to see it launch once, went to FLA to do so back in the early 90's but it was postponed and I had a round trip ticket :(  Dangit anyhow.   I might have caught a glimpse of it going by the other day too, I saw something brilliant in sky moving right along but I was driving so I couldn't pay much attention.   I have also seen it through a "elcheapo" telescope & binoculars as well in the past.

Soon they are going to stop using them..   very old tech to be sending people into space and trusting they come back.  Anything that is either a (success or total failure) when lives are at stake can get looked at very closely...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

metalspinner

We are trying to coordinate our vacation time in the spring to line up with one of the shuttle launches.  To see a shuttle launch is on my short list of things I really, really want to see.   :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

srt

I remember, just like Spiker, setting in class (Navy class) and seeing the shuttle explode.

Just a couple years before that, I remember watching the shuttle launch while in school in Orlando. 

Then a while after the explosion, my sub just happened to be tied up at Port Canaveral while we were down there doing some testing.  The mini nuclear sub NR-1 was tied up behind us.  I knew a couple guys on NR-1's crew, and got the word.  They were retrieving the remains of the shuttle crew. 

It was a very somber, and respectful few minutes when the remains of the shutle crew were transfered off the mini sub to a waiting vehicle.  No one was allowed topside (no gawkers), and all business halted for a few minutes.  I never saw anything, only knew what was taking place - the way it should be.

SwampDonkey

I was in class to, and we had a TV set up in the room to watch. It was pretty sobering when she blew.  :( I've been down to Cape Canaveral in the command centre of the early space flights and over around the assembly building and out near the launch sites. Was there on bus tour, not for a launch. February 1984 was when we were down.

sawdust

Family went to Florida when I was in jr high just happened to glance up and saw the 747 with the Enterprise  piggy backed being brought to the cape. I don't think it ever actually flew except as a glider. 1979 I think. Florida was a neat place, swim suits in march! and a wonderful smell of orange blossoms.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SPIKER

it is quite a sight to see that 747 taking off with the shuttle on it's back too :D  I forgot to mention that part, I've also seen the astronauts departing the shuttle but alas only form a hundred+ yards out.   The would usually come to a stop right out near our access ramp when un-loading and getting onto AF bus.   
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Justin L

Rick Sturkow is my cousins name. He was wearing a ball cap on the last mission- I need to send him an "Old School Lumber Co " hat to get some free advertising!

He toured my shop when he was here, and took a picture of me in front of my sign, and I didn't think to get a pic of him in his NASA suit. Maybe next time...
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Sprucegum

An amateur astronomer made the news tonight - he got a 4 second video of the toolbag orbiting past  8)  8)

Thank You Sponsors!