iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husk deck hight

Started by bandmiller2, November 20, 2008, 05:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Quickee question,is the wood deck over your husk the same hight as the top of the knees or a little lower.Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

Its lower.  Your husk has the mandrel and mandrel bearing that sits on top of that.  Your knees have to clear the top of your saw nut and maybe your collar, which stick out beyond your saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Ron,my mill has a round "colter"type board splitter with a 4" roller behind it [on the same shaft].I'am mounting the splitter about an inch behind the saw with that roller same hight as the top of the knees with the boards a little lower.It looks as though the roller was designed to support the board as it peels off.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday Frank and Ron

Frank with the deck and splitter id keep them both at the same finish hight which is for me slightly below (about 1/2 to 1" ) the hight of the collars in the saw shaft as You wont want somthing like a branch stub or butt flare  clearing the collars then catching on the splitter Its hard to judge without being there as you want them close but not to close the same thing goes for the saw guides not to high not to low   each mills different mate ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron Wenrich

But, that board splitter sits on top of the husk.  I know of that type of board splitter.  I've seen them on a lot of Fricks.  The roller should set about the same or just a little higher than the mandrel bearing.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

york

Hi all,
back when i decked my sawbox or Husk-in order to get it the way i wanted it-first thing i did was to remove the round board splitter that turns,did not like that thing,was not tall enough,-each and every line,board had to be pulled off,was not safe,board would flop up against the saw,sometimes i would saw alone....

I replaced the round splitter with a tall single blade type what i got from Lions eqp.  and that thing was much better,safer-then was able to deck out the Husk about half inch lower than the head block bases-i feel that the husk deck is very important,should not be a cob job and should be able to remove it easy,for your maintenance...just my 5 cents...Bert
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!