time for my winter rant

Started by woodmills1, November 19, 2008, 07:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

getting cold so don't let your mizer get frozen in

move it

put wood blocks under the support posts

raise the loader arms every day when you are done

tighen up the fan belt and check the choke cause you need it to start inna winter

HD40 1993 still havin at it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

timberfaller390

Hey this looks like a good place to tell everybody how much I hate winter and how much I miss summer already.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

yeah...movin' the mill this afternoon..'bout froze my skinny little butt off..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ohsoloco

I love winter  :)  I'd rather take layers off to keep at a comfortable temp. when working outside rather than sweating my butt off in 80 degree weather.  Seeing/smelling the smoke rising from the chimney, splitting wood when it's in the teens, walking with the dog through the snow....good stuff!  :)  :)  :)

I don't get tired of this cold weather until the end of February.

cptbob06

There is nothing like a groomed snowmobile trail with a couple inches of fresh snow hanging on the pines. Add in some good friends and family and it's like a little piece of heaven.

timberfaller390

Quote from: cptbob06 on November 19, 2008, 09:23:38 PM
There is nothing like a groomed snowmobile trail with a couple inches of fresh snow hanging on the pines. Add in some good friends and family and it's like a little piece of heaven.
I would agree if it ever snowed here anymore, but because of the way we are situated(sp) between two long mountains (Lookout Mtn. and Taylor's Ridge) all the snow seems to get pushed around us.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bull

will have the mill allset for winter tommorow, regraded and hand raked, will reset legs on blocks in the am... ground will be pretty solid by then. never got above 25 degrees today. frost will be setting in fast without a warm up in the next day or so and that doesn't look likely..

DanG

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 19, 2008, 09:17:03 PM
rather than sweating my butt off in 80 degree weather. 

:D :D :D :D :D :D  Now dat's funny!  Ohso, you otter go on Letterman or Leno with that stuff.  You'd lay'em in the aisles! :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I find the cold difficult.  Makes my bones hurt.  Harder to work in the shop.  Definitely makes quality air drying of sawn lumber a challenge.  But, we are products of what we are used to.  Some people cannot take the heat; I do pretty well.  Some cannot take the cold (us Southerners  :)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okie

It has'nt even got sure nuff cold here and I'm already sick of it. Give 100 over 40 degrees any day. If I didnt love the area I'm from so much I'd talk my wife into moving further south, probably Texas somewhere, I like south east Texas real well. Oh well, 4 more months and it'll be getting nice again. It was in the 70's today 8) but with the weather being what it has lately it could well be 40 for a high tomorrow >:( .
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

JimMoore

I like winter 8) and I love  snow 8)

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JimMoore on November 20, 2008, 01:40:22 AM
I like winter 8) and I love  snow 8)
And all I get is rain all fall, winter, and spring.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mike_van

Was out all day yesterday on my last 'dirt' project of the year, 30 ft of 18" pipe across the driveway where there was an old layed up stone culvert. 33F, nice 20 mph wind from our friends in Canada - There were no stinking mousquitos!  :D  The dirt I left from the day before had froze 2" overnight.   I'll take winter over the heat, humidity, bugs, and sweat of summer. By mid Feb. when the sap starts running, I am tired of the boots, coveralls, etc though.  If it didn't change 4 times a year, I'd probably move to where it did.  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

bandmiller2

We all love a clean mill site but a little sawdust around the foundation keeps the frost from going too deep.A good hard freeze lets you move over the soft spots and mud holes.Its easier to keep warm than keep cool,but some days its just too cold to mess with machinery.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I won't be sawing through the winter, so I'll use the time (lots of boring time in winter) to do a thorough check of the mill.
Get worn parts replaced and make sure that the mill is all squared up for next season.
I will also pull the alternator and the starter and have them checked by the auto-electric guy.  This will assure that they are in good shape for the first saw-job in the spring.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sparks

ALL I CAN SAY IS 121 DAYS TILL SPRING. 8) 8) 8) 8)
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

ladylake

It's a nice balmy 20* this morning, switched to diesel for lube.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

okie

Sure as shootin, it was 70 something yeserday and it is 42 right now.  :-\
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ohsoloco

The cold sure does make a little ding to the fingers hurt like the dickens, but it's a trade off I'm willing to live with.  Nothing like coming inside after a nice work in the cold....face, body, and hands all cold....and standing next to the wood stove  :)

Another nice thing about this weather is the reduction of the ticks I'm finding on the dog and myself  ;)  Didn't find any on the dog all summer long, but as soon as the cold weather came in, I was finding 4-5 crawling on the dog every time we came in, plus a few later than got 'hold.  Higher percentage of deer ticks to dog ticks this year as well  :(  Hasn't been warmer than the low 30's for the past week, and only found one tick. 

Tom

I can't stand cold weather.  I do pretty good in the 60's.   I can stand the 50's.  I'll put up with the 40's, but when it dips into the 30's or lower, I have to take my trousers slap off or I get them wet.

woodmills1

3 days outside all day never got abovr 32.   NICE :o  NOT :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Winter is my time. Time in the shop, trekking the woodlot and vacation time. I like where I'm at, pretty Dang good spot. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

It's 7* above right now, 3* to cold to saw. I think some of the southerners have something fried by all that heat.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ohsoloco

Too cold for you or the mill  ???  :D  I started a day of Saturday sawing a few years ago when it was a few degrees below zero.  I was really surprised the 'ol Honda on the Norwood fired up.

Thank You Sponsors!