iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MULE LOGGING!!

Started by Tom, November 18, 2008, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Tonight is going to be a good night to watch the Discovery Channel, but especially after Dirty Jobs. 

After Dirty Jobs, at 10:00 pm e/p (I think that means Eastern and Pacific) is an Extreme Logging show on Mule Logging.

I've just got to see that. ;D

Don K

Been thinking about it since last Tues.  ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

zopi

I love those guys...wanna talk about green?

Most mules are smarter than most people I know...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JV

I'll have to watch that.  Probably 50 years ago, we had a logger come in with a mule and

a big white horse.  They stabled the team in our barn and bought corn and hay from us.

The first day, the mule had a real appetite and the horse just stood in the corner.  Day two,

same thing.  They watched closely the next day, going up grades the mule was pawing and

snorting, putting on a real show.  It was just that, the collar on the horse was dug in, but on

the mule it was just tight enough to look convincing.  After an attitude adjustment, the

horse had a real appetite and the mule was the one standing in the corner.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Radar67

I've got it set to record since I won't get to watch it. The wife wants a couple of donkeys, told her they had to earn their keep as loggers if she got them.  ;D She didn't look very happy with that.  ::)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

timberfaller390

It's going to be a good'un
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Lanier_Lurker

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom.

Got it set to record.  Should be interesting.

Banjo picker

Yep , I want to see it too... Got a mule name Reuben.....Shoud put a tv out in the barn and let him watch it.. :) :) Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

low_48

Best loggin' show yet. Very imformative and just plain fun to watch. I enjoyed the way he described the personality of each mule, and my could they pull :o Saw that truck on dirty jobs, that's a disaster waiting to happen. Must not have much for weight limits around there either. There were some huge loads for a single axle. That was a DanG fun hour of TV.

timberfaller390

Quote from: low_48 on November 18, 2008, 11:04:52 PM
Best loggin' show yet. Very imformative and just plain fun to watch. I enjoyed the way he described the personality of each mule, and my could they pull :o Saw that truck on dirty jobs, that's a disaster waiting to happen. Must not have much for weight limits around there either. There were some huge loads for a single axle. That was a DanG fun hour of TV.
Actually the truck on Dirty jobs was a Ford this one was a Chevy. Those side loaders are pretty common around here, fact is they are the only kind of self loader you'll find down here. As for weight, if your far enough back in the hills the DOT don't bother you to much. I noticed they didn't show a preview of another episode. Was it only a 2 episode series?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom

I sure did enjoy it.  It was the more real of any real-TV that I've watched.   I loved the Mules and I thought it was really cool that a "Greenhorn" was accepted and not made to feel bad at every turn.

If there was one thing I would wish for, it would be for them to show more than just the beginning of an action.  Some of it had a Norm's Yankee Workshop feel.  For example cranking the chainsaw, touching it to the log, cutting about 1 inch deep and then changing scenes to the log being in two pieces.  Heck, those that run chainsaws enjoy seeing them cut.   I know that time is limited on a show like that, but I can wish, can't I?

Then there are the "new" photograpic editors who think that a scene must be changed every 1/2 to 2 seconds.  It leaves my eyes and head hurting and me wondering what happened.  This show wasn't too bad, but even a hint of that kind of stuff makes my anxious. 

All in All, I want more.  I liked the woods, the animals and the Gentlmanly acting loggers who are laid back enough that they don't  question someone for not showing up for work.  I know the guy had to be ticked off, but he kept his cool and there was another day.  :)

Don K

There should be one next week on helicopter logging. Best I can tell it is a 3 show series. I would like to find one of those side loaders for my personal use.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Banjo picker

One of the better shows  I have seen in a while..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

metalspinner

I liked it , too. Those mules were beautiful animals.

My favorate part was the end when thet were in the yard log for the sale.  Those two women were all business. And it was very clear there would be no "Negotiating on the price." ;)  That old walnut with the heart rot running up it still brought $1BF.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

stonebroke

What do mule loggers have against picker trucks? Other than cost they would be much safer and more efficent.

Stonebroke

SeeSaw

Tom,

Thanks for the heads up I would have missed it.  I sure do enjoy watching mules and horses pull a load out of the woods.  They sure do work hard and I'm always impressed at how it almost looks as if they just can't wait to get hitched up and pull the load. It's almost like they're showing off...  I think it's really neat and it sure is easier on the woods than big equipment.

SeeSaw 
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

timberfaller390

Quote from: stonebroke on November 19, 2008, 08:09:18 AM
What do mule loggers have against picker trucks? Other than cost they would be much safer and more efficent.

Stonebroke
Side loaders are common down here (even though they are death traps) because they are cheaper than a KB loader and don't add the wait of a KB to the truck. So you can get by with a shorter truck and haul heavier loads.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pineywoods

Side loaders and mules were the accepted way of logging when I was young. That show brought back a lot of memories. The mules were phased out for 8N ford tractors. Most of the side loaders around here were home-made. Look closely, 4 inch pipe and angle iron. The winch that powers it is made from the rear axle off a car, driven off a pto on the truck tranny. I didn't work in the woods, had a job working in the local repair (fabricating ) shop. Loggers can break ANYTHING. Ditto what someone said about the DOT. Only place you ever saw them was on the major highways. I didn't even see a tag on the truck ::). When the dot started cracking down on over-loaded single axle trucks, most operators just hung a tag axle under the back end. There's still a few of them locally.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

timberfaller390

Quote from: pineywoods on November 19, 2008, 09:35:15 AM
Most of the side loaders around here were home-made. Look closely, 4 inch pipe and angle iron. The winch that powers it is made from the rear axle off a car, driven off a pto on the truck tranny.
That's the other thing about side loaders. Guy's working around here with single axle trucks are doing everything as cheap as they can, and that's one way to cut a pretty good cost. I was very proud to see the chaps and hard hats though, most of the small time guys down here just wear boots and a ball cap. Any of our boys from Tennessee know or recognize them muleskinners?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

I don't recognize them personally...but I sure know the type...those ol' hill folks can do ANYTHING..usually with almost nothing...can't wait to get back to God's Country..Go Big Orange!

My dad got out of hte Army at Ft Campbell Ky. in 1969..needed a job for a month or so, and went to work for a fellow named Opal Holland..worked for one of the big consortiums down in TN..anyway,
The old man who ran the company called Opal in one day and told him that he was going to pass on soon, and that his son would fire Opal..saw him as a threat I guess..Well, the old man died a week later and come to find out, he had left opal 20 grand..The kid fired him and he went home, sat there looking at the check..wondering what the hell to do..His wife said.."Buy a sawmill, stupid..it's all you know." So he did. He bought an old circle mill, set it up and started sawing contract and shares,
made a little money, and for 40 years, every time a piece of land in western Ky came up for sale that had so much as a stick growing on it, the old man bought it..He is still running that same circle mill today, they log his property, and probably hasn't cut a live tree that wasn't third growth in 20 years..he says he drives around after a storm and cuts out the leaners and blowdowns...has no logging equipment but an old JD tractor and a chainsaw..couple log wagons maybe..god only knows how much money he's worth...There is not a square inch of sheetrock in his 2500 square foot house..and it is every board native hardwood or cedar..he doesn't like pine and won't plant it.

Daddy took me up and introduced me to him in 2001 just before he passed..all in all it was one of the better days of my life..we cut a Christmas tree out at Opal's place that day  and hauled it in together..Opal showed me the mill and what could be done with it...and mentioned something he had just become interested in..something called a band mill...he planted the seed in me and after a few years it grew up and I bought my Woodmizer..here I am wanting to upgrade to something a little heftier...He taught me a lesson in pulling up by the bootstraps too..I think I'll call him after awhile...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

Good on you, Zopi.  Those oldtimers are a goldmine, not only in informtion, but in self satisfaction too.  You can make a fellow like that mighty happy by spending some time with him. I've found that my time with them is as memorable to me as when I met them as a kid and admired them as idols.  Lots of those fellows aren't given the time of day by younger folks and they get mighty lonely. :)

timberfaller390

Quote from: zopi on November 19, 2008, 11:36:30 AM
I don't recognize them personally...but I sure know the type...those ol' hill folks can do ANYTHING..usually with almost nothing
You ain't kidding. I wish I could get my grandpaw on the forum to tell a few stories. The way he raised me has made me sure a man can make a living with just hard work and common sense.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

SamB

Good story Zopi! :) Brings back memories of my younger days and the older folks who influenced my perspectives on life. I was the last of 8 siblings 22 years between the eldest and the youngest. The 4 oldest grew up in the great depression era. I've seen pictures and heard the stories about the family mule that helped them make it through hard times. Makes one appreciate what we have to work with today. :)

Tom

Those 'family' mules were actually a part of the family.  I've got a picture of my Grandmother, her mother, father, sisters and brother standing in front of the farm house and the brother is holding the mule.  They'd never have left him out of the picture.  I 'spect he'd have eaten at the dinner table if they'd let him sit in a chair. :D

zopi

someone in another thread mentioned the Foxfire books...if you like the old ways and stories run out and get a set...lotta good knowledge in them, and the way things are going that knowledge might be
useful...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

wi woodcutter

My mother has a riding mule-seeing that show just makes me think!
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

loggjamm

Hi, new to this forum. Usually stick to sawing and milling. I saw ( :D )that show on mule logging, it was great. I have a question for you guys; how exactly does that side loader work? What engages that thing to lift, and then stop at the top and then lower back down? I've done some crazy things but that just looks dangerous.
    Thanks, loggjamm.....
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

Mooseherder

Welcome loggjamm :) (great name)
Even with all the warnings I managed to miss the Mule episode. :(
I hope there will be some reruns. :D

thecfarm

Did I see one of the Butt brothers on there?  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

I thought I heard him say one of them long ears name was Roxie?????
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

pineywoods

Loggjam, that side loader is usually a home-made rube-goldberg contraption that operates with pulleys and cables hooked to a winch (probably home-made)  mounted right behind the cab. The winch runs off a pto on the truck transmission. Hand operated clutch to engage or dis-engage the winch.  I've worked on a few in my younger years.  Can supply lots of details if'n you want to build your own  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

zopi

I was surfing around reading about mule and ox logging...saw some comments by Jason Rutledge...apparently DISC approached him about doing it but they decided he wasn't thrilling enough...he may get some time on one of the "green" shows though..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thedeeredude

Saw that too zopi.  Over on RH forum.  Cfarm, I believe it was the Butt brothers again from their first appearance on Dirty Jobs.  I didn't see the show and could really care less knowing who was on it. :)  Just my humble opinion.

zopi

I kind of dig the forecart arches...like a logrite arch with a seat on top..make the drag easier on the animals..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

timberfaller390

Quote from: zopi on November 23, 2008, 12:47:00 AM
I kind of dig the forecart arches...like a logrite arch with a seat on top..make the drag easier on the animals..
Yeah those are pretty cool. Brandt Einsworth who writes the horse and ox logging coloumn in Rural Heritage magazine, has one with a diesel engine and winch. Oh yeah  his team of oxen are named Timber and Jack.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

loggjamm

Hey, Pineywoods, thanks for the offer, but my loggin' days are over. ( I hope!) I'll stick to millin' thank you very much. p.s. this forestry forum is the best!!!
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

timberfaller390

hey pineywoods, some technical details on a side loader would be great
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dale Hatfield

They must have bought all new PPE for the show. LOL  They all looked brand new .
They stunt they pulled when they cut the tree the felled one was hung into.
He should have yelled in in best uneducated Jeff foxworthy voice HEY Yall come watch this.
A poor shot at drama and another Black eye for loggers
Chainsaw Carver

timberfaller390

Quote from: Dale Hatfield on November 24, 2008, 08:51:38 PM
They must have bought all new PPE for the show. LOL  They all looked brand new .
They stunt they pulled when they cut the tree the felled one was hung into.
He should have yelled in in best uneducated Jeff foxworthy voice HEY Yall come watch this.
A poor shot at drama and another Black eye for loggers
I will agree about them cutting the hanger out.
Whether the PPE was new or not doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad to see guy's running a small operation in Appalachia wear anything but boots and ball caps. Most don't give PPE a thought.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Corley5

The house infection owners next door had their 10 acres high graded a couple weeks ago and the guy doing the falling was completely bald.  I know that because he didn't have any kind of a hat on  ::) let alone chaps or eye protection.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dale Hatfield

I guess  my point being is. Its new and not used and I doubt that it gets used again.
If they were really worried about safety they would have pulled down the hanger  and moved on. But thats not how it was handled.  That was a complete disregard for safety .
Chainsaw Carver

pineywoods

Quote from: timberfaller390 on November 23, 2008, 08:05:15 PM
hey pineywoods, some technical details on a side loader would be great

Here's how the sidewinder loader was usually constructed. All I ever saw were home-made out of whatever materials were available. Two of these mounted about 7 or 8 feet apart. The winch cable off both loader arms go to the same winch drum.

Very few had factory built winches. Usually like this..Mounted across the frame rails right behind the cab. The actuator lever and master cylinder usually mounted close by, wherever was convienent.

With this setup, crank truck, engage pto, and leave the truck idleing, the drive mechanism runs continuously. The winch drum side will apply just enough tension to keep the slack out of the cables, and the operator side will spin freely. Locking the free-spinning drum causes differential action to apply full torque to the winch drum. There is NO BRAKE available.
Release the lever and the whole works will fall..
Looks dangerous, but I never heard of anybody getting hurt with one.

Later edit.   Probably would work well with an electric winch

zopi

Log chuckin'...I'll stick with the slow stuff...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ronnie tucker

there is a shop in savannah tn that makes side loaders i have used their loaders i like them best when they started making them it was named the loggers pal i hire my hauling now with the mules i only have the saw motor to worry with ronnie tucker tn logger   the one used in the show was a savannah loader

Banjo picker

Quote from: ronnie tucker on March 08, 2009, 11:57:55 PM
there is a shop in savannah tn that makes side loaders i have used their loaders i like them best when they started making them it was named the loggers pal i hire my hauling now with the mules i only have the saw motor to worry with ronnie tucker tn logger   the one used in the show was a savannah loader

Welcome to the forum Ronnie ,  Where bouts it Tn. are you from?  I live just across the line in Ms. over about Iuka.  Tim

ronnie tucker

i am located at paris tn ronnie tucker

fishpharmer

I really enjoyed the mule logging shows. 

Welcome to ForestryForum   Ronnie Tucker  its a great place.

8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

Quote from: ronnie tucker on March 10, 2009, 12:47:00 AM
i am located at paris tn ronnie tucker

Ronnie my wifes sister and her hubby live in Paris.  R. Parker is him name he worked at the hospital till he retired a few years ago.  Tim

Thank You Sponsors!