iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logger Malone

Started by DouginUtah, July 10, 2003, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I'm not much of a sports fan but the big news today in Utah is Karl Malone announcing his intention to sign with the LA Lakers.
He is not in state today, he is in Arkansas running his *logging business*. There's probably only 10,000 logging businesses in AR but I was just wondering if the Arkansawyer has heard anything of Logger Malone's adventures.

Here in Northern Utah is was 102° and 5% RH today. The warm spell is expected to continue. Is this hard on my stash of hardwoods and causing permanent damage? Should I spray it down with the hose?  :D

And as long as I'm mixing it up here, has anyone come up with a simple way to apply a light texture to a drywall ceiling? I can do a pretty good job of taping and mudding but haven't mastered the texturing part. The simpler the better.

-Doug
P.S. Send rain if you've got extra!   ;D  We're in our fifth year of drought.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

Doug,
You're getting awful close to that 130 degree temperature that is supposed to kill bugs.  That could be a good thing if you have some air conditioning to go sit in until it cools off some. :D  We used to use paper fans with the thin wooden handles in Church.  The fans had bible scenes printed on them and were always in the book rack on the back of the pew in front of you.  The ladies used them, the men seldom did.  The kids got swatted if they tried to use one.  I guess the old folks thought we were playing.  If it was real hot, Grandmamma would fan our face for us for a minute. :D

We had a cold front come through a couple of days ago and it's only been about 93 degrees.  The humidity is 99 though and the air is so heavy you can't breathe it. :)

I'm not much of one for painting or mudding but my wife likes it.  She uses a product that is nothing more than a thin dry-wall mud.  She buys it in 5 gal containers at HD.  When she applies it with a long-nap roller it leaves a textured wall or ceiling with little curls of the stuff, occasionally, that looks kinda like the top of a Dairy Queen Ice Cream cone.

Speaking of ice cream....  I think I have some in the ice box. :D

Don P

My book says EMC is 1.2%  :o
We're running an EMC here in VA of about 18% right now and I am real tempted to slide the power planer up the back door...come next winter I'll be cussing tho! My thermometer/ hygrometer has been reading alternately HI ( guess its a friendly thing) and - - in the morning when I check it.
You gave the extreme reading for the day though, not the average...so it probably isn't quite so bad  :P

I did our house with a tool we nicknamed "The Bugger Flinger"
Most of the tool catalogs seem to prefer "Texture Gun". I've seen them at our local Lowes building supply also. Mixed up a batch of about heavy pancake batter consistency and shot it on, the effect is often called "orange peel".

EZ

Doug, I hung and finish drywall for 25 yrs. For textured ceilings I wood take a 5 gal bucket of drywall compound and pour about 1/3 of a gal of paint(water base) in it stir it well. Then roll it on with a paint roller, if you want to get fansy you can get a shoe brush and make your own design.
EZ

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I was half grown when my family quit using an 'ice box'  and it took a long time to get the term out of our vocabulary.  I still slip up once in a while as I assume you did.  You may have to explain to JeffB what that is even :D  He doesn't seem to know what a 'puncher' or a 'hooker' are ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Noble,
I think we should bring "Ice Box" back.  It's an endearing term and much more comfortable than spouting an advertisement like "Frigidaire" or something that is as difficult to say as it is to spell like "refrigerator".  :P

Some may argue that we don't keep ice in a box anymore but I think it is all relative to how you observe the act.  Once, ice was brought to the house and you had to have a box to keep it in.  Today we have a box that makes ice and we keep it in there too. :-/ :)  So, why can't we still call it an ice box?  I like it. :D

Now, as far as puncher and hooker are concerned.  That's relative too. Foreman wasn't as much of a puncher as Ali but he had a heck of round-house to go with it. Mike's just a punk.  Marciano didn't know what punching was either. He was a slugger. (not to be confused with a baseball bat) :)

Having spent time in the Navy, Hooker means something different to me.  Not ever having been intimately involved with the profession, I still know of its existence.  Of course, fisherman can be hookers and riggers can be hookers and my little old Aunt Mattie was a hooker because she crocheted ;D  (God help me if she heard that, she would come back and haunt me.)

Thank You Sponsors!