iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of knife do you use?

Started by pappy19, November 17, 2008, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

:) my grandpaw was a blacksmith he would take metal from old hand saws and use it to fabricate butcher knives i think i got a couple grandmaw gave me i kinda miss the old man 8)

OneWithWood

I have a Cutco hunting knife for deer and other game.  It has a serated edge, holds the edge well and is very sharp.
For fishing I have a Cutco filleting knife and a few others.  The Cutco is the knife of choice.

In the kitchen we have a full set of Cutco and some fancy German-made knives.  We use the Cutco knives constantly and the high end German knives stay in the drawer.  I was very hesitant to try the Cutco (my sister was a distributor) but I am glad I did. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Larry

Pigman, you thought that was a turkey? ???  Its just an old propane tank. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pigman

Larry, after looking again I think you are correct. I guess the tank laying on it's side fooled me. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ADAMINMO

3 blade Buck that my wife got me for Christmas in my pocket, Leatherman Charge on my side , Leatherman Micra scissors in my pocket , and a Lenox folding utlity knife in my pocket. Should be able to cut about anything. The only one I carry that hardly gets used is my Buck my wife bought. To easy to pull out the razor knife or the Leathermans.

I got alot of other knives also. The Beautiful Case knife that I recieved at Moultrie is probably one of the most special knives I will own. Thanks Tom!!!
Adam

timberfaller390

Case trapper in my pocket everywhere I go and A marbles "Bison" for hunting.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ely

dan g  i had one of those about 15 years or maybe 20 yeears ago, i was using it to cut black poly under a slab pour on the job. my spanish speaking helpers borrowed it from me, and promptly lost it. under the plastic. when i noticed it was missing they had already flew in the rebar mats. :-\
those rats never did buy me another. nor did they borrow any tools.

DWM II

Everyday in the pocket is a Case Sodbuster. I use Gerber knives to clean game and have some Cutco and Chicago knives we use in the kitchen. Really just a hodge-podge of good quality stuff. If I buy new I try and buy American or German but I'm not against Japanese either.
Stewardship Counts!

Elevendy

I have an Opinel No. 8 which was a present from my grandfather. The blade needs a lot of attention but it's like a memento for me. Don't have anything for hunting yet, not really interested in it.

beenthere

Pics of knives I use, or just have around.

My favorite pocket knife.  Victorinox Electrician

My Buck Selector field dressing combo, one blade 42801 for starting the cut, and the straight blade 42805 without sharp point for finishing.

Butchering knives, but my favorite is the long Chicago Cutlery one. No. 78-4 with 7½" blade. The other is a worn-out butchers knife, just sharpened a lot.

These two are in the collection. One is a Buck 619 and the other a Silver Falcon folding knife.   

This is a special field dressing combo that I find intimidating to use. Have not mastered it, so don't use it. Two sharp edges near slippery hand and fingers...makes me nervous. But understand they can be real quick when field dressing a deer. 

Last, but not least, are two special gifts from FF sponsors. Thanks to Eggimann and Baker.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

Very nice collection there beenthere. I should get some pics of some of mine. May do that this evening after processing my deer.

Mooseherder

Bottom one is my daily carry.  Above it tags along when I'm in da woods. ;)
The next one is my 6 inch butcher boning knife that has been in my drawer for 16 years without a sharpening stone.  I just touch up the edges with the Steel every time before using.  It has cut alot of meat. ;D
I can always tell if someone else has used abused it.

stonebroke

I use a hawkeye style for cutting round bale twine, Doesn't slip off the twine as easy.

Stonebroke

stonebroke

Maineloggerkid

I have more knives then I can put together right now, but my big 2 are-

Hunting- old wood handled buck knife.

Everyday- plain old leatherman that used to be my dads. I even carried that evryday of school since 8th grade. Up here they don't care if we have knives or leave or hunting rifles in the truck during school. I'm not in school now, though.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

timberfaller390

fortunatley it is still the same way here. All through school the teachers would ask to borrow my knife. They also didn't mind you having the appropriate gun in your truck for whatever was in season as long as it was locked up. If I had to go back to school without my rifle hanging in my back window and my case in my pocket I'd be Nekkid.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Blake22

For the last 3 days I've used an oyster knife more than any other. Like most of you I have many different knives, some are really nice like DU guide series and Dale Earnhardt edition, a bucklite, a case peanut that's still in the wrapper but I carry a yellow handle case on my person. I keep it sharp enough to shave too.  To me having a dull blade in your pocket is like having a weak hand shake. I made a couple of knives out of old lawnmower baldes and they turned out pretty good IMO.
Blake

Polly

old hand saw blades has good steel in them also     :) 8)

Weekend_Sawyer

My current favorite hunting knife is a straight edged Ka-Bar. A great knife that gets used to gut, skin and quarter deer. After that I have a set of Vitronix fillet knives for deboneing.
my daily carry is a letatherman wave.

I had a buddy of mine make me a great sheath for the Ka-Bar. It has a pouch on the front to fit the Leatherman and a loop on the side to slide in a small maglite. Love it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!