iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first real turning injury

Started by tyb525, November 16, 2008, 08:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I was turning a bowl earlier this evening. While I was working on the outside, the tool caught and my pinky finger somehow managed to be squeezed down between the toolrest and the bowl :o...I think. It happened so fast I didn't realize what had happened at first.

Anyways, I now have an ice pack on it. I'm starting to get feeling back in it - ouch!  :( Several layers of skin got pulled loose so it is bleeding a little, but no blood under the fingernail yet.

I don't think it is serious enough for a hospital visit, it's just a pinched finger - Mostly the side, it didn't really get the nail.

Just goes to show you - Be careful!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Left Coast Chris

tby--

I feel you pain........ two weeks ago I had a skew chissel catch on a thin portion of the bottom of the outside of the bowl and the chissel somehow was drawn forward forcing my middle finger into the bowl where the finger nail caught in wood grain facing towards the rotation of the bowl.   It drove a good sized chunk of the silver maple under the finger nail.   Blood everywhere.   I ran into the house and got it under water.  Things were o.k. for about 20 minuites when the nerve damage started to be felt.    Now I know why torturers used to drive bamboo under finger nails.  :o :o

Im o.k. now but I did go into a small amount of shock (sickness, weak etc).  A few days ago I got a 1/4" wide piece of wood out of it.

I now wear tight fitting lether gloves while turning.  :o ::)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

metalspinner

That happens often.  Sometimes its the side of the pinky, sometimes the meaty side of the hand under the pinky.  I've dodged the bullet thus far.

I don't think the glove makes things any safer.  It only increase the size of your hand and limits the ability to feel how close you really are to the spinning work.  You may lose some dexterity with it, too.

Sorry to hear about your accident, tyb525.  It's going to be tender tomorrow. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

I've debated about whether or not to wear gloves. I usually do, but the fingers in the gloves I have have holes in them. Maybe that's better, as it still protects your hand from hot shavings, but you still have the dexterity of your fingertips.

It's kinda inconvenient typing with one hand. At least it was on my left hand (I'm right handed).
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Safety rules I've heard say Do Not wear gloves, or shirts with sleeves, or other loose clothing.
For one source:

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/woodwork/lathe_w.html

To each their own risks tho.

I was helping around a table saw once, where the safety guru's had the saw operator wearing gloves because of a previous wood splinter in a finger. This time, the leather glove caught in the saw blade, dragged his whole hand into the blade, and lost fingers and a lot of time away from work in surgery and reconstruction. Hard call, sometimes.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lud

Despite what people who write safety books say I wear yellow fuzzies in the unheated barn my shop is in.  I  remove them if I sense a risk.such as around the drill press.  My lathe will stop if there's a catch and that was a major reason i went with DVR XP.  I wear the faceshield when roughing out.   Risks go with the territory.

I try to be careful but dings happen fairly regularly for those  who make stuff.  I'm somewhat a conosewer of bandaids. ;) ;)

Hang in there..  May all your dings be small.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!