iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have issues with their Stihl MS-250

Started by weimedog, November 16, 2008, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

How reliable has yours been...those of you who have ACTUAL real time experience on these little saws..please!

How about those "Easy Start" versions?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

eamassey

I have a MS-210.  This is a second saw, used mainly for fencerow work.  This saw cuts beyond my expectations- especially if the chain is really sharp.  I would think that one should for sure choose the MS-250 if it is to be an only saw. I have cut up to 20" red oak.  I really like the "Eazy-Start".  If you have even the slightest hint of joint pain, etc., or, are in the over 60 age group--- this thing can be valuable.  My saw is only a couple of months old.  I must tell you that I am a bit skeptical of the performance of the EZY-start system, and the quick adjust chain tensioning system----over the very long run of time.   However, today, with maybe 10 hours on the saw, I am well pleased with the saw, to include EZY-start and chain tensioning.

My other saw is a Dolmar 116, about 20 years old.  If it ever gives any trouble, I will go to a 460 or 372.

sawcollector

This saw started life as the 1123 series back in 1990, then sold as as a 021, 025. Since then it has evolved into the MS 210, MS 230, MS 250. It is a modular engine design, as I explained in another post, which is fine for homeowner / occasional user use. It is not designed to be used as a logging saw for several hours a day.
The nice thing about a design that has been around a long time is that any problems have been sorted out and dealt with. The Easy2Start feature works well and has been trouble free. The only complaint I have heard is that it may be easier to flood the saw on a cold start since you may not hear it "pop" on the second spin and know to open the choke before the next pull.
The QCA (Quick Chain Adjuster) works great but seems to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing. The only thing that needs to be done is take the bar and chain off and clear it out often, but I do that after I am through cutting so I have never had a problem with it.

rebocardo

I like my MS-250 just fine. Very nice for limbing and smaller stuff, revs fast from a stand still compared to other 33-45 cc saws. I would not cut 16+" oak all the time with it though.

> I have heard is that it may be easier to flood the saw on a cold start

Actually, where I have flooded it is on warm starts after refilling. I think because I use to leave it laying on its side before and after filling while I did other things. I have learned not to choke it on restart.

I like the saw, I might actually keep this saw for over two years.

Polly

:) i got a 250 and i was watching ty a greenhorn was trying to start the saw reminded me of myself i wish my wife had bought one with easy start option  :D :D 8)

MartyParsons

We carry one in the truck to all the shows this summer. Works great.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

amberwood

I have one as a second saw, great for quick docking and trimming around the mill. I have used it as a delimbing saw for harvesting and with a sharp chain works well. No probs with starting hot ot cold. Standard starter.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

park ranger

I bought mine new to thin 40 acres about 15 years ago. I love the saw, it's small and just the right size for cutting up small stuff and packing up the trail.  I have cut a lot of fire wood with it but you have to bend over too much.  I have had a bad cage on a crank bearing, it was plastic and broke into chunks.  I have done the bearings, a ring at the same time, a carb kit, and the rest is routine maintenance.  I have a ton of hours of use for the money I've put into it.

isawlogs

I have an 025 that has been around for a while and gets used often . This saw is on the bike and will do all chores that is required from the bike saw .  ;)  It is light and has some balls for a saw that size , now it aint no 036 and I aint trying to saye it is , but for its size and weight I really like it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cut4fun

My brother loves his 025-250. But be  warned if you ever have to tear it down to work on it, you will kick yourself. Plastic case with clamshell crank design. Fine while they are running. But dig into one and they are POS. I gave away a 029 super that looks like new after tear down to keep from having to put a piston in it and putting it back together. Thats how bad they are to work on  >:(.

Engineer

I've had mine for ten years plus, and like it, my father and brother also have them. 

If it dies, I will replace it with a pro saw, probably a Dolmar 5100 or Stihl MS260.

SawTroll

I don't like those saws, lots of soft plastic and way too much vibration.
Hard to work on as well.
Information collector.

isawlogs

Quote from: SawTroll on November 22, 2008, 01:45:29 PM
I hate those saws, higly vibrating plasitc POS.....

I think you have never used one to state something like that about one . I think you dont know how to appreciate a good home owner saw if you saw one .  ;)
This is my opinion.

One does not need  only to have  pro saws . there are good less expensive saws out there , you should get out more and look into it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SawTroll

Quote from: isawlogs on November 22, 2008, 02:09:26 PM
Hard to work on as well.

I think you have never used one to state something like that about one . I think you dont know how to appreciate a good home owner saw if you saw one .  ;)
This is my opinion.

One does not need  only to have  pro saws . there are good less expensive saws out there , you should get out more and look into it .

I have used and worked on some of them, owned by friends.

The Husky counterparts are much nicer saws, specially the 350. :)
Information collector.

Rocky_J

The Stihl 025 is one of the best homeowner saws around. It's been a solid performer with very few updates for the past 15-20 years. Stihl makes some crappy homeowner saws but this is not one of them.

I'm not fond of the new 'easy start' gizmo, just another example of Stihl fixing a non-existent problem (like those infernal gas caps). I suspect most who buy it have no idea how it works and will take the saw to the dealer for routine maintenance and servicing. People who can change their own spark plug and sharpen their own chain wouldn't bother with some dumb 'easy start'.

Engineer

My dad, who's approaching 70 and has some pretty bad arthritis in his hands and arms, would benefit greatly from the easy-start feature.  He has an MS250 without it, and I am going to approach the dealer and see if his saw can be retrofitted with it.  If not, I'm going to help him sell his saw and get a new one with the easy-start.  He has a very hard time (i.e. painful) starting his saw.  The feature may not be for the younger folks, but it sure benefits the older people who sometimes stop cutting wood altogether due to physical ailments.

SawTroll

Quote from: isawlogs on November 22, 2008, 02:09:26 PM
Hard to work on as well.

This is my opinion.

Opinions vary, it would be no fun otherwise!    :) ;)

Btw, I changed the post you quoted........
Information collector.

isawlogs

Yes they do  ;) , now had it been posted as such, the response would not have been the same . I realy hate it when something that aint all that bad , such as the 025/250 gets knocked down to a POS. I know it aint the best feeling saw out there , not the less vibration free , but you must give it what it has going for it being a low cost homeowner saw . I think most saws are good , good if used for the purpouse they where built for.
There are a lot of people out there that just dont have the 600$/800$ or more to buy a prosaw, they need to be able to fall back on the less expensive owner saws , now if all we do is jab them as POS how in the world will they be able to make a sound decision on what to get .
   I aint saying that the 025/250 is the end of the line for small inexpensive saws ... It has being around long enough to have some proof of reliability to some extent .

Oh ... sometimes opinions are expressed from emotions too ... :-\ ;)

Marcel

rebocardo

I know a guy in his 50s that likes the easy starting due to a shoulder injury where he can't pull that hard with his right hand though he can easily hold the saw.

I like the new gas/fuel caps too.   :D

Red 93 L1 #3383

Quote from: rebocardo on November 24, 2008, 10:09:40 AM

I like the new gas/fuel caps too.   :D

Same here, I wish my 064's & my 020T had them. 
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Cut4fun

Quote from: isawlogs on November 24, 2008, 09:27:38 AM

Yes they do  ;) , now had it been posted as such, the response would not have been the same . I realy hate it when something that aint all that bad , such as the 025/250 gets knocked down to a POS. I know it aint the best feeling saw out there , not the less vibration free , but you must give it what it has going for it being a low cost homeowner saw . I think most saws are good , good if used for the purpouse they where built for.
There are a lot of people out there that just dont have the 600$/800$ or more to buy a prosaw, they need to be able to fall back on the less expensive owner saws , now if all we do is jab them as POS how in the world will they be able to make a sound decision on what to get .
   I aint saying that the 025/250 is the end of the line for small inexpensive saws ... It has being around long enough to have some proof of reliability to some extent .

Oh ... sometimes opinions are expressed from emotions too ... :-\ ;)

+1 great post. This sight dont need that BIASED crap that ruined the other place.

I like the old stihl caps myself. Had a 361 with the new caps and they just feel chinsey and like they would break at any moment.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MartyParsons

We realy like the Easy Start. My father is in his upper 70's and he has a choice of a MS 361 20", 036 16". He uses the Big saws for felling trees but sawing fire wood and slab cutting he is always using the MS 250. He told me yesterday he would trade he 036 for the MS 250 because he liked the easy start. I guess when you get up there in age it is hard to get that extra pull to start the chain saws. He would start the saw like a yoyo give the saw a pitch grab the starter handle as it went by and grabed the running saw when it came back. I am sure you have seen this before. Saftey First?  :o
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Engineer

Safety never.   :o  Although, I am not one to speak out against drop starting - that's all I do.  One hand on the handle, one hand on the starter cord.   I have tried the "approved" methods of starting a saw, and I have to say, neither works for me.  The one that required you to put your boot on the saw and pull up is a pain in the back, and if the ground is covered in mud or snow, I don't want to put my saw down in it.  Also a really good chance of driving the bar tip into the ground if your foot slips. 

The other one, which requires you to hold the saw handle between your legs while the bar sticks straight out away from you, Well, let's just say that one slip with that was one time too many. :-[ :o :D

I had no problem drop starting my Stihl 066 when I had it, of course that had a compression release too.  I find it's much easier to start my MS390 than my 025.  Must be something about that little saw that makes them a really hard starter.  Once they're warm though - one pull, every time.

isawlogs

Engineer
Have you tried putting an the Stihl elastostart handle on the saws that have an extra quick in um when you start them . I have a few saws with them on and what a difference it makes.

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!