iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working deck around headsaw

Started by bandmiller2, November 16, 2008, 07:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

You guys that run circular mills do you have boards between the ways[under where the carrage travels].I'am planning to board in around the husk to make it easier and safer to file the headsaw I've seen mills boath ways open and closed just want your opinions thanks.I also like to board over top of the husk to knee level with a step up to store boards that need edging.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sprucegum

Mine is still wide open but I plan on boarding it in around the husk for sure. Since I'm a one-man operation I want to be able to walk straight over to free up a stuck slab or whatever.
Under the ways is more complicated - I need to figure a way to hook up the sawdust blower first.

beenthere

Quote from: Sprucegum on November 16, 2008, 10:24:17 PM
Mine is still wide open but I plan on boarding it in around the husk for sure. Since I'm a one-man operation I want to be able to walk straight over to free up a stuck slab or whatever.
Under the ways is more complicated - I need to figure a way to hook up the sawdust blower first.

Saw a guy with a circular rig walk the husk a couple times with the blade still turning. I though it was a bit risky, to say the least. Do you plan to have the blade shut down when you "walk the plank" ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I have a few boards near my head saw.  I don't have any in the loading or unloading area.  That allows for a lot of the dirt to fall through.  It is also one less thing for anything to hang up on.  I'm running a vertical edger, so I get edging strips that fall in at the carriage on occasion.  Our mill is set 5' above the floor.

If I have any problems with something hung up on the saw, like a small piece of wood, the saw is shut down, and stopped before I mess around with it.  The only moving saw operation that I do is setting saw guides.  Anything else is just an invitation for disaster. 

Back when the handset mills were the normal things, you could always figure out which guy was the head sawyer.  He had less fingers than anyone else. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

One man operation of a circular mill is problematic,and requires much commuting from one side to the outher.The easiest mill is a belsaw all the machinery is on the backside of the mill.Most mills the engine and belts are in the way.I plan on building a live table on the offbearer side that I can jog from the sawyers box.When I have a collection of slab ,unedged boards, and finished boards I'll travel around the horn sorting things out.Unedged boards will be set on the shelf over the husk,slabs in the cutting cradle,boards on the trailer.I have a remote clutch and throttle so I won't work around a spinning blade.Every mill is set up different but i suppose you could build a bridge with railings to get to the outher side of the husk,but walking around would probibly be easier.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Ron, thats what I'm planning just boards around the husk to aid saw maintenance,no need loading or unloading area.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Sprucegum,you may want to give some thought to a sawdust conveyer insted of blower.Blowers are dandy but draw alot of horse power right off the top and are noisy.I you have a big honken diesel, power is no problem but if power is short ,a conveyer will put the power to the bits.I have used a legnth of 4" fire hose around a drum running under the mill up and around an auto rim.Dust is carried out on the bottom of the belt after it builds up its own chute and dumps in a pile.Frank C.

woody1

I have 5 2x8's across the top of my husk. The one against the blade is hidged to get to the guides and I can lift it a little if a piece gets stuck against the blade. I dont have the section between the tracks covered.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

york

Frank C,

yes.my center track way was decked out,with 1 by 6-open deck,so stuff could rattle down-the sawbox also was decked out and hinged....Bert
Albert

woody1

Here are a couple pictures of mine.

Ron Wenrich

We used to build a guard to put over top of the belts.  It was a safety thing, but it would double as a place to put boards when I was edging on the headsaw.  They were built pretty similar to your boards across the husk. 

At the husk, it wasn't uncommon to have them split at the arbor.  But, most guys didn't have sense to put a hinge on it, me included.   :D  It also let it sit just a little bit lower.

Blowers are OK if you really need them.  I used a dust drag made from corn picker chain and paddles.  I had one that was run off of an old Model T rear, and others that I ran off of a small hydraulic motor.  I ran them out to a pole.  You can really put a good pile out, and you won't get anything clogged.  We use a blower now because we load right onto the trailer.

Mooseherder

The Lane I purchased and dis-assembled had these planks over the Husk. There is a sawdust conveyor for placement under the HeadSaw.  I did notice when we took it apart there wasn't a great place to stand for sharpening or working around the Saw.  This was a six man operation and will also be problematic for me as a single sawyer.  I'll have to build a few bridges to get to the resaw, edger and chipper which all run off the Main Power unit thru a series of belts and pulleys.  I had thought of building some bridges to get to the other sides along with a log turner, Saw Cab and better green chain along with other ideas learned before install. 

woody1

It didn't take me long to figure out that you have to cut them long knots off before starting to saw. It's a bugger when they hit the husk cover.  :o :'( :'(

Ron Wenrich

I don't stand to sharpen my saw.  I've always got behind the saw to sharpen.  For a long time I used a 6x6 block to sit on.  It gets you up above the board splitter.  Those longer board splitters make it a little harder.

sawguyver

here are a few photos of husk and sawdust conveyor.

Sprucegum

I was thinking of a blower because one came with the saw but all my thinkin still hasn't come up with an easy way to hook it up. Its a big heavy thing that don't quite fit anywhere.
I could run a small drag chain off the carriage drum - it would only drag when the carriage is moving. Would that work?

BTW if I walk past the running saw I will definately want a hand rail set up.

bandmiller2

Sprucegum,if you run it off the cable drum you will remove it slowly then bring it back three times faster when you gig back.If you have electric no problem use a small gearmotor.Usally conveyers are driven off the arbor with a belt.I have seen belts run right on the arbor,it takes little horsepower,you would have to run the blower off the arbor or anouther pulley at the engine shaft.Frank C.

Sprucegum

:D  ::)  :D   never thought of the forward-reverse aspect! Sometimes quick thinking aint all its cracked up to be  :)

bandmiller2

Sprucegum, most of the blowers i have seen were mounted under and driven by the arbor with "V" belts.Usally a trough was built under the leading side of the saw with as short as practical connection to the center of the blower.Pipe on the output side of the blower can be quite long ,the fewer elbows the better.The blower needs to be bolted down well.the guy that had my mill had it lagged to a half burried rail road tie.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I will be using 10"x2"x16' boards 3 wide to walk on on the meadows as the 3 wide will fit nicely between the tracks .Im still tossing up between a blower and a hyd powerd 8"wide rubber flat belt mounted in a 27' length of Channel section steel Ive always found that belts have given me alot less dramas over the years as once you get a small chunck in the wrong place in the blower systm :( it can turn into a real pain in the backside with pulling pipes and getting in to the blower  >:( and ive had that happen a fair few times over the years  ;) :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!