iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

this old house

Started by Greg, November 14, 2008, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Hey all,

Just stumbled on a current season episode of This Old House last night.

Apparently they are mid way through a Ted Benson timberframe project. I think somewhere in NH.

Awesome looking so far. Seriously high end project.

Combination of a reclaimed douglas fir frame, lots of interior studded walls, and pre fab building components dropped in by crane, all in one project. What they can do with pre fab is remarkable, higher quality, cheaper to build. Seems like the wave of the future.

I assume they'll be using SIPs as the outside skin, but I'll have to keep watching to find out :)

Greg

LeeB

I watched part of that last night and slept through part of it. I'm curious as to how the drop ins will look with the timber frame. Sems like it will cover up a lot of the beauty of the frame work.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jim_Rogers

I recently heard Ted Benson speak at the TFG conference and he said that the filmed 16 episodes of this house project.

He was there when they set the copula on top and someone screwed up their lines and they had to do it again. And then someone else screwed up something else and they had to do it again, and again, and again. He said it took them 11 takes to get everything right...... so the crane lifted the copula up and down each time.......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

I've been really impressed with everything but the cabinets so far...the third episode airs today at 12:30...right after that Norm guy. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lanier_Lurker

Is this the same project that included a trip to the shipyard to salvage a monstrous timber to trim down into a beam?

That was one massive log.

bigshow

regarding the SIP questions...well, they are kinda using SIPS.  Looks like Benson is doing their own.  2x6 stud panels filled with expanding foam, then 2" rigid foam applied to the outside.  Pretty nifty actually.  If one could rent the doo-dad used to fill the cavities with foam.....possibilities....
I never try anything, I just do it.

Brad_bb

So this last Saturday I happened to catch the TOH episode where they installed the cupola.  I can't believe they flew it up there 11 times!  I would rather see them do it once, and so what if it's not perfect and their lines are not perfect.  Do they always need scripted lines?  Let's see how it didn't fit right when they flew it up the first time (if that were the case) rather than a perfect fit every time.  That's not reality.  Would you rather it be more realistic and less scripted, or keep the scripting and every thing fits each time?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bigshow

This Old House isnt so much instructional...more informational.  For instructional - cant beat Holmes on Homes.  They aren't afraid to show when they themselves screw up and how to fix it.   
I never try anything, I just do it.

Thank You Sponsors!