iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman/Parks planer

Started by scgargoyle, November 13, 2008, 04:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

Thanks to craigslist, I'm now the owner of a neat little Craftsman/Parks 12" planer. It's in decent working condition for $100- didn't seem like a bad deal. It has a huge old motor, yet doesn't seem to have much power, so I'll probably re-power it. Anyone know anything about these? Any recommendations on what size motor I should put on it? I'm thinking about milling/drying/planing my own timber for flooring- is it possible with a machine like this? I probably wouldn't go any wider than about 8". I did find a source for parts, believe it or not. Since I'm an idiot that way, I'll probably go through it and rebuild everything.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Brad_S.

I have the 20" Craftsman/Parks planer and love it. Very nice finish. Mine is 10 hp, 3ph, has plenty of power, lots of steel and a huge footprint. You can find free operator manuals on line but I don't remember if it has hp limitation suggestions. I forgot where, but search engines should find it easily.
As far as making flooring, any planer will work fine for that including this one, but the Parks is not a moulder, you can't do T&G on it by running it verticaly like a Woodmaster if that is what you were asking.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woodhick

check out owwm.org for a forum if you have any questions.  You can also go to owwm.com and probably find a copy  of the manual for it.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

scgargoyle

No- I wasn't planning to do T&G- I have a shaper for that. Thanks for the info on OWWM. Looks like my kinda place!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Ironwood

If it has the oil bath gear box on the side (a true Parks) then it is a nice unit. I had one for years, 5HP is about all you need. One speed, but does a good job. Enjoy your new Arn!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

John Woodworth

I have a 12" parks with the oil bath gear box on the side and all it has ever had since it was new in 1958 is a 2 horse motor.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!