iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill is done for the season

Started by Chuck White, November 11, 2008, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Well, we really gave our sawmill a good workout for it's first year with us.

When we got the mill on 3 May 08, it had 487 engine hours on it and now it has 873.9 hours.

We sawed out 70,403.9 board feet, mobile.

Now it's time to give the mill a good cleaning and check for parts that need to be replaced or adjusted.

I guess I'll get a chance to do a little deer hunting next weekend.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodmills1

nice first year

fluff and buff it but don't put it away unless you don't do cold at all

sell stuff you cut already planed at big $ but be ready for a recut or winter saw job
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Chuck White

Thanks for your comments guys!

I don't plan on any winter saw jobs, but I haven't ruled it out either. ;)
Sometimes we get a good break in the weather here during the winter season.
If that happens, I will probably hook onto the mill and take on a job or two. ;D
I have quite a few jobs lined up for next season, but most are smaller than the majority we had this season.
We had that big wind storm after the sawing season started and in some instances, it trippled the job size.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

yeah..I was a little disappointed with the hurricane forecasters this year..storms mean logs..<GRIN>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Chuck White

The storm sure gave me some extra sawing this year and I still have a couple of customers lined up who said wait till spring.
They have hemlock and it's up off the ground, so it'll be ok till next season.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Chuck White on November 11, 2008, 08:21:24 PM

That's a pretty exact number.  You must be a better bookkeeper than I ;D.  Sounds like a productive first year!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Chuck White

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on November 13, 2008, 11:16:18 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on November 11, 2008, 08:21:24 PM

That's a pretty exact number.  You must be a better bookkeeper than I ;D.  Sounds like a productive first year!

Ya, it's exactly what we sawed.
We keep a written tally of each customers lumber sawed on our mill.

Looking forward to checking the mill over once we get it inside for the winter.

Dan_Shade

how do you keep track of the boards coming off?  board by board?

I used to do that, but i gave up on it, i started scaling the logs (international) and charging based on that.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 14, 2008, 09:27:17 AM
how do you keep track of the boards coming off?  board by board?

I used to do that, but i gave up on it, i started scaling the logs (international) and charging based on that.

We stack the customers lumber in individual piles, ie:  1x8x8 in one pile, 1x8x10 in one pile, and so on, and so on!
Then at the end of the day, we count the boards in each pile and note them on our tally sheet. 
Next, we do the math and know the exact board feet sawn that day!

woodmills1

I also do exact board feet, I keep a slip in my back pocket and a pencil behind my ear(from the old teacher days) and tally every board.  It is easy with a mizer, I start with the cant...........8 2x6x10 then just carry the edgeded boards in my head till it gets confusing..3 2x6x10 .1 2x6x 10  3 1x5x10 etc  I also write the cut list on the back of the customers slip as well as total bd  ft and price per, since I charge hourly this gives them a bd ft price and they like it.  It also keeps my records straight as I have to file bd ft of species cut with the state
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

arj

I also do a exact bd.ft. count as I charge for what I`ve cut, If I charged for
what the log scaled, would be $$$$ left on the table.
                          arj

Tom

Quote from: woodmills1 on November 15, 2008, 08:52:10 PM
I have to file bd ft of species cut with the state

Why does your state need to know how many Board Feet of what species you cut?

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Chuck White on November 14, 2008, 05:45:59 PM
We stack the customers lumber in individual piles, ie:  1x8x8 in one pile, 1x8x10 in one pile, and so on, and so on!
Then at the end of the day, we count the boards in each pile and note them on our tally sheet. 
Next, we do the math and know the exact board feet sawn that day!
I find using this method with a tally at the end of the day or even adding a second tally at lunch is the easiest way to keep track of board footage. Trying to keep track of the wood as cut can be a problem in wet weather, takes the concentration off the milling process, and is easy to loose track of what has and has not been tallied. From a safety standpoint, when the saw is running it is time to focus on the milling process not how much money you are making.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

Sawmills, whether stationary or portable, in NH are required to be permitted/licensed.  It is only $20 per year, but along with the small fee at application or renual you agree to file an amount of cut at years end.  We also have timber taxation, so that I pay for every cord and board foot I remove from my own land that is not for personal use.  It is not a lot of money, but is set at the rate of 105 of state establishe(low) value of cordwood and timber.  Just two of the many ways a state with no income tax or sales tax raises revenue.

Thank You Sponsors!