iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newest tool

Started by pineywoods, November 11, 2008, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Ran across this toy tool at a good price. Sure beats trying to use a router 8)
3 hp single phase motor, 1/2 and 3/4 inch mandrels, 1/4 and 1/2 inch chucks.

Already run a batch of 4 inch tongue and groove flooring..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

Cool , one of those is on the wish list .  ;) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

low_48

That must be from the generation of Chinese equipment before they started trying to put "American" names on their tools. You can use a router bit in those machines, but the rpms are too slow to get a good finish. Not enough tip speed. Great tool for shaper cutters though. Congrats!

Larry

Piney, since ya already know how to make knives for your Belsaw make sure you get one of those shaper heads that takes tooling.  Not hard at all to whip out a special cutter.

Make sure you think safety when using the machine...would hate to start calling ya nine fingers. ;)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

HOOF-ER

Nice toy Piney. I wish it were at my place. Have alot of lumber that would make nice flooring.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

pineywoods

Quote from: Larry on November 12, 2008, 01:15:12 PM
Piney, since ya already know how to make knives for your Belsaw make sure you get one of those shaper heads that takes tooling.  Not hard at all to whip out a special cutter.

Make sure you think safety when using the machine...would hate to start calling ya nine fingers. ;)

Hey I already have one of them shaper heads. and a bunch of knives for it. Only thing it has a 5/8 hole to fit a table saw arbor. I never could rake up courage enough to try it on a table saw. I'm gonna stick it on the lathe and bore out the hole to 3/4.

I think this thing is actually Tiawanese. It's a big hunk of cast iron, weighs about 250 lbs.
I got it for $300 bucks, with all new bearings.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

pineywoods

MY new-to-me shaper broke. Ran a bunch of oak tongue and groove flooring, on the last board, the spindle seized. Bad, bearing, the big old 3 hp motor kept on turning, toasted the drive belt. Surprise, surprise, the name says chung iron works, but all the fasterners and dimensions were in inches. The bearings were well known brand, SKF. Grease in the bearings was hard as concrete. I changed out both of them while I had it apart. Local bearing supply had bearings and belt. $20 and I'm back in business. :) DanG thing is built like a tank. The motor probably weighs 100 pounds.

logwalker

Piney, did that bearing give you any warning? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

pineywoods

Quote from: logwalker on February 13, 2009, 12:03:02 PM
Piney, did that bearing give you any warning? Joe

Not much warning. I pried off the seal to see what happened. Sheet metal cage that holds the balls came apart, probably from heat buildup. The grease was so dry and hard it might as well not been there. No idea how old this thing is. I had run it hard for at least 2 hours before it took an enforced break... :)

DanG

It broke?  Well DanG! >:(  Tell ya what, I'll give ya fitty bucks for it, sight unseen.  Meet me in Mobile with it at noon tomorrow, and I'll have the cash. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

DanG if you had made me that offer while I was lying on my back in the sawdust and shavings, trying to rassle that 100 pound motor back in place, I probably would have taken you up on it. Too late now, I got it all back together, thanks to a line-backer sized neighbor ;D

Thank You Sponsors!