iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wimpy EZ

Started by EZ, July 07, 2003, 02:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Back in 1976 I went to Montana for 11 months, to trap and hunt. I killed alot of different kinds of animals, for their hide or bounty, some for food. All the Elk that I seen were to far for a shot. When I came back to Ohio I always told myself and others that I will go Elk hunting again, and I have'nt yet.
My wife and I was on vacation last week and stop at this place called Noels lost ark, they were taking care of animals that people didnt want any more. They had 3 elk and one was so tame he wood lick your hand. What a wonderful animal, I watch it for I know an hour. I think I'm going to hang up the 308 for good. What a wimp I am. :-[ ;D
EZ

Tom

I don't think that's being a wimp.   I only shoot what I'm going to eat or what will hurt me.  That's the problem I'm having with my Porch Coon.  There was a time when he'd have just been in the way but now I see that I live in his front yard.  I might develop a taste for Coon though. :D

Mark M

Tom's right EZ, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm like Tom and don't shoot anything unless I'm going to eat it or it's going to eat me. Nothing has threatened to eat me lately and I haven't been that hungry for wild game lately so my guns have been in the safe for about 10 years. I have more fun taking pictures but someday I might hunt again.

Mark

Tom

Mark,
I hear that an attitude like that will cause you to grow a big belly and facial hair.  :D

Mark M

Haytrader

Isn't it ironic that we see things differently than we used to. I am among those who used to live to hunt. We have lots of quail, pheasant, turkey and way to many whitetail and muley deer here in south west Kansas. I have more guns than most, and they are rarely used, just looked at........ :)
   I like to watch wild game and we see deer in our yard regurally. What I think changed me was my time in S E Asia. Once you have hunted man and have been hunted, all is different.
Haytrader

Brian_Bailey

I'm not much for killing animals unless there is a need to.

Last fall I shot a dog that I thought was going to try an eat me. Well it didn't actually eat me but it sure put a hurtin on me.  

I was charged with a misdemeanor, indicted with a felony,  plead guilty to disorderly conduct, paid $4000 restitution for the dog and have to do 75 hrs community service.  All because I was trying to protect myself and a flock of wild turkeys from what I believed to be an aggressive dog on my property.

I quess, I should of grabbed my video camera instead of the shotgun and filmed just what that dog was doing to those turkeys.  Maybe someone else would of been in the hot seat instead of me!
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

EZ, I too feel the same way.  Just a few days ago I was driving the Gator to the mill from the house, about 200 years with a great deal of lage timber ad brush between the two.  The road is a well graveled drive and all.  Suddenly on a Friday morning I saw a large critter appearing from bushes coming from my left and the pond area.  I criept real slow a there appeared a Couger within 40 yards right in the middle of the gravel road.  He stopped, turned his head in my direction and continues prancing across the road and up a raven into heavy timber.  I cought my breath and went on.
   the next moring about the same time coming down the hill. from whence the Couger had gone up the day before,  was another cat.  This time is was a Bobcat. They both had been going and comeing from my pond for water.  What can I say.  About the only thing I have not actually seen here is a bear.   But I have seen the bears work on trees and their scat.
Frank Pender

Noble_Ma

The only thing I hunt is little orange round clay disks every Thursday night ;D  They're even biodegradable.  

shopteacher

It's seems (for most folk)  the older you get the more appreciative you become of life and develope less desire to destroy it.  I haven't hunted for close to ten year now and really used to enjoy it.  Today I just hate to see all the game killed along the road, what a waste.  Civilization has cleared so much habitat it's almost impossible for the animal population to live to be a ripe old age. ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bud Man

If it walks, crawls, slithers , or flys I have killed it n et it but now a days I'd rather njoy a plate of properly prepared veggies with a little korn bread than just about anything else.   Ditto you HayTrader - but I'll still take a turkey or duck now n then and I'll go out of my way to squash most bugs specially roaches.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Norm

I don't hunt with a gun nearly as much as I used to. Now I use my bow and enjoy just sitting out in the woods as much as actually shooting anything. I am not above getting rid of pests around the farm, we shot coons skunks coyotes' and such. Mainly to keep them from eating our farm animals.

In Iowa if someones dog or cat is on your property harrassing your animals you are allowed to shot it without repercussions. I had a scum bag neighbor learn that the hard way.

My one rule that I raised my sons with is don't shoot it unless your going to eat it.

Furby

Even the dogs and cats??? You COULD get in trouble for that, though! ;D

biziedizie

I gotta cross bow with a scope mounted to it but I've never killed anything but deer with it. As I don't like the fact that I wasn't useing every part of the deer I now buy the meat in the store.

Steve

Ed_K

You got to be careful of them porch coon's, we had two that came to the birdfeeder once in a while. One night we heard a little noise so we went to the back door, couldn't see anything, so moma pushed me out to see better. Well there's moma bear and three cubs  :o. I was back inside instantly! mom stood in the doorway and yelled at it, till she left. Which wasn't soon enought for me.
 I don't mind seein them when I'm in the wood cutting, but not in my back yard  ;D. I hunted for yrs, till the boy's grew up and moved away, now it just not fun anymore.

Ed K
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!