iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw belt drive to drive shaft conversion

Started by Joe Lallande, November 11, 2008, 06:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lallande

I have a Belsaw M-14 driven by a Waukesha diesel with a worn drive drum and very old belt.  Any ideas on how to convert this system to a drive shaft? Thanks, Joe at Howling Wolf Saw Mill located in Alpena, MI.

Kansasaw

Joe,     I have an M-14 powered by an IH power unit on a 40' flatbed gooseneck trailer.  I made a 90° drive out of an old GM car rear end and used a GM drive shaft to couple the PU to the right angle drive that's coupled to the mandrel with a love-joy coupling.  The rear end was an open differential, so I removed one axle, shortedned the remaining axle/housing, and fused the pinion assembly which cuts the ratio in half, resulting in the speed reduction I needed to run the PU at it's governed speed, and the saw at 550 RPM.

bandmiller2

Joe the simplest way would be to get a transmission that would fit the engine being mindfull of rotation direction.If the belt system is working good mayby just replace the worn parts.Even with the driveshaft you really should have a slip clutch or sheer pin.A feller doesn't want to spend the money for all new belts and pulleys,check around junk and scrap yards or farm equipment dealers.Sand pits always have alot of that stuff hanging around they never throw anything out.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Joe,been thinking about your belt to shaft conversion.How are you set up now ? A standard right hand turning engine with a direct shaft to the arbor on the belsaw will be turning the wrong way.Can be done with jackshaft and more belts but would cost more than replacing what you have.Give us more information.Frank C.

Joe Lallande

Yes, the engine turns clockwise when view from the rear.  The mill is a right hand and as you face the blade it also turns CW.  I am in the process of moving the mill to a new location and now is the time to either buy a new flat belt and drum or install a drive shaft.  Any ideas, thank you.

Sprucegum

I saw a picture somewhere of a car wheel complete with tire mounted on the PTO of a tractor. The car tire ran against the drum on the mandrel - and that's where the direction of rotation changed  8)  It also would act as a slip clutch if things decided to bind up on ya.

bandmiller2

Joe,your diesel is probibly turning 1800 rpm and your current belt setup 3to1 ratio to give you around 600 at the arbor.You would need a transmission or reduction gear of some sorts.Belsaws work well with tractor PTO because they turn at 550 rpm and with the right rotation.Joe you may be better off just replacing what you have. Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 13, 2008, 05:31:33 AM
Joe,your diesel is probibly turning 1800 rpm and your current belt setup 3to1 ratio to give you around 600 at the arbor.You would need a transmission or reduction gear of some sorts.Belsaws work well with tractor PTO because they turn at 550 rpm and with the right rotation.Joe you may be better off just replacing what you have. Frank C.

Gday

What Frank Said  ;) ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Joe Lallande

I need a source for the fiber drive drum for a Rockford PTO shat and a flat belt. Any recommendations? thank you, Joe Lallande at Howling wolf saw mill.

bandmiller2

Joe,its a little late in the year but old engine shows,steamups ect.theirs always guys selling that stuff.Old line mill/industrial supply companys will usally have that stuff tucked away in the celler somewhere.Don't be afrade of "V" belts if you can find sheves and good used belts.You could use a cast iron flat pulley on the rockford too.Their are folks that rebuild paper pulleys.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!