iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rubber tire wear on pneumatic tired mills

Started by shinnlinger, November 10, 2008, 07:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have a Turner mill that uses trailer tires as band wheels.  The drive tire has a groove in the middle of it that I attribute to running too much tension when I first got it.  This tire would pass a DOT inspection and the mill works fine,  but my mill partner is concerned and wants to roatate the tires or replace them.  Personally I dont think it is an issue, but I fighured I would ask up here.

Should we be concerned?

Thanks
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

logwalker

I would fire it up and use my 4x24 belt sander to reshape the tire back to spec. You would of course remove the band first. A lot easier than rotating and you would still have the groove.
Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

bandmiller2

Up tite and in the groove ,sorry couldn't resist.If shes cutting fine I wouldn't worry you have alot of tred before the cords.Centrifugal [sp] force tends to keep the bands tite.Hows the tire pressure ,what do they recomend ?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Toolman

Did you contact Bill Turner? I bought one of his hydraulic mills about 6 months ago and found him to be very helpful . I've had some minor issues which he provided good help with. I'd give him a call. If you need his number contact me through forum.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

bck

The first thing that comes to mind is how is it cutting, and you said its cutting fine. The way I see it is its doing what you want it to so it aint broke, and if it aint broke dont fix it. 
I would only worry about changing them if it was cutting bad.

shinnlinger

bck,

I agree, If it was my call I wouldn't touch it, but my partner is a bit more persnickity than I am and he thinks it is a problem.  I hope I can talk him out of tearing the thing apart right before I need to mill something.

I will share all these responses.

Toolman,

I did talk with Bill Turner a few years ago and he does seem like a good guy,  MAybe I will bug him.

Does your mill have pneumatic tries?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Lud

Centrifugal vs. centripetal?May the Force be with you.  cast your vote!

Thinking about putting some of that green ooze in my spare tire mill as pressure seems to be dropping a bit.

Any thoughts?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Toolman

Shinnlinger,

yes, I have the pneumatic tires. I have about 300 hrs on them. I have'nt experienced any unusual wear. Did you check the air pressure? I check pressure once in a while. I havent lost any pressure since I had the mill. Another possibility is that maybe not enough tension on blade, causing some slippage, which could cause premature wear. I use enough tension so that blade is into tire about 1/16 ". There should be just a slight valley when looking across tire.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

timberfaller390

is your partner worried that the tire is going to pop? or just that it needs fixed just "because"
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Toolman

Hey Lud,

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. I would be concerned that the balance would be thrown off. I could be wrong, but it's something to think about.

Tim L

If it works fine , run it . Bill Turner is great to talk to .Maybe your partner should call him just for peace of mind. If you have a trailer model those are the same tires .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Lud

Toolman,
               The stuff spreads out in an even layer because  of centrifugal force.  You don't fill it , just a good slug.  Gets sucked into any leak.   Shouldn't be a balance issue.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!