iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumpkin Pine Stumps?

Started by dsgsr, November 10, 2008, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

Hi folks, I'm new hear. I don't Mill but was wondering if there's a market for old Pine stumps. When doing some clearing in my woods with the tractor/backhoe, I pulled up an old pine stump all intact.  Top maybe 14-16" and roots maybe 5 ft around. When I break a piece off it's all nice and orange but solid in there. I have others on the property. I think the Pine was cut off about 40 yrs. ago.

Thanks,
David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Radar67

What you have is good ole fat lighter. It is used to start fires with. Fire a piece off and see how it burns. (a small piece) Some folks like to sell it in little pieces and some of us like to hoard it. My stash is pretty big.... ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Captain

I'm trying to find just the right stump to invert and make a round glass topped table out of.  Maybe next year....

Captain

Banjo picker

Im like Radar When I find one I can get up it goes to the house....Sometimes you may find where an old growth pine died and fell...won't be nothing there but the very center of the tree might be 2 or 3 inches with some knots on it....I bring them home too....I have a couple of pine knots for decoration in our rock garden.....I use to sell them when I was a kid , but not any more....Put an ad in the paper, and I bet you could sell all you could get especially up there in Maine.....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bigmillman

I know that a lot of the lighter stumps around here went to a plant in Brunswick, Ga. that used them in the production of dynamite (as I remember).  I know that is a long way from you, but there might be similar industries in your area.

Stacey Freeman

logwalker

Toward the end of WW2 the Japanese dug pine stumps out of old clearcuts and processed them to make aviation gasoline for their remaining planes. They had harvested the trees earlier for the same purpose. There is a lot of energy stored in them stumps. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

Now I'm seeing a gold mine in the upper Miramichi in those old fire killed white pine stands.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dsgsr

Thanks for the responses folks, I didn't know those stump were so flammable. How would you keep the Orange color when it is exposed? The ends that broke when pulling it have since grayed up.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

bandmiller2

Dave,when I saw "pumpkin" pine I knew your from Maine.Down south they have a pitch type pine that they harvest for navel stores like turpentine.Never heard of us yankees doing anything but cuss em.They will burn with a passion but don't think their worth the trouble.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!