iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 395 or ms660 stihl

Started by Jeff Gottschall, November 09, 2008, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gottschall

I am in the market for a new saw.  I was looking at a 395 Husky or a MS. 660 Stihl .   I know the Stihl saws are pretty good. But, Stihl dealers in this area act like they are Gods gift to Loggers.  Hard to deal with.  What are some of your opinions of the 395 Husqvarna? Any weaknesses, I know they have a 2 year warranty,  but if they are always down then that is no good either.  Lets here what you got to say!!    Jeff

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.
Where ya located?

Are the Husky dealers better to deal with? Or better for repair work? 

Figure that both brands are good, along with others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff Gottschall

Beenthere,  I live in Highland WI.    I have 2 husky dealers close by. both have good reputations.  Jeff   

Reddog

Welcome to the FF Jeff,
Both are good saws. I would pick the one I had the best dealer for.
Both get real heavy by the end of the day.  ;)

What are your plans for it? Felling or Milling?

Wally

Jeff Gottschall

Wally,    I just want a hotrod saw for bigger firewood.   20"  bar   Jeff

wi woodcutter

I like the ms660 over the 395 got talked into the 395 didn't like it got rid of it pretty fast. I deal with a stihl dealer in Cambridge they great to deal with but a little far for you! Maybe look at e-bay if you look hard you can find some deals, I have. By the way I'm NEW!                                                                             
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Dave Shepard

Welcome Jeff and wi woodcutter!

I'd pick the one that had the best dealer representation. I'm a Stihl fan myself, but have a 394 that I really like, it's getting a rebuild at the moment.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff Gottschall

WI. Woodcutter,  What were some of the things you didnt like about the 395?  If you dont want to post them on here, then you can email me.   jgottsch@mhtc.net   thanks Jeff

Old_Hickory

i admit the 660 has a awesome track record,But heard good things about the 395 also
Ive grew to like the way  Huskies feel and handle. but never used either of those  mostly what handled was in the 50  to 70 cc range
gotta love those XP saws

wi woodcutter

let me first say that I did NOT join the forum to start a stihl vs husky war! I think the husky saws could be some great saws, a friend of mine has them, he likes them. I got that 395 and when it got hot it would not start. Took it back to the dealer and they didn't seem they wanted to help much so I got rid of it. Plus it helps that the stihl dealer is only 6 miles away and the husky many more than that! Just used stihls for a while and like the way they feel. 

beenthere

wi woodcutter
I'm with you...when I've had the occasion to use a Husky (which the owner wouldn't trade for any other brand), I didn't like the feel...mainly the on/off choke lever. Was afraid I would break it off. But that likely isn't a problem, or it would be changed. I think Husky's are good saws, just couldn't own one.  :)  And I think a lot of my Stihl dealer too.

I suppose it is a lot what one gets used to, like many other things in our lives.  8) 8)

Are you cutting full time or alike others, like me...when the need arises and the trees need to fall and get bucked up.  :)

Welcome to the forum.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wi woodcutter

beenthere many thanks for the welcome :)
I think with most people it is what they are used to and if they have a good dealer-if you like your brand stick with it!

I work in road construction full time in the summer running a backhoe and cut firewood in the winter to sell (expect for last winter I worked on a cross country oil pipeline). My dad owned his own logging company for 25 years, but he sold it in '96 when timber prices fell. Sometimes in the winter we still cut some smaller jobs.

rebocardo

I think they are both about the same, if I was choosing one for a chainsaw mill, I would go with a Husky because from owning both brands in large CCs, I know the Husky filter loads up a lot less and is easier to start.

Since you want it for firewood, then go with the best local dealer. If I had to guess which dealer would be around in ten years for service or as a brand, then a Stihl. The large CC Husky and Stihl saws both hold their value and sell for about the same price on E-Bay (been tracking those for a while).

The only big Husky saw that I owned and used on a reg. basis was the 3120, it certainly revs a lot different then the Stihl 066 I now own. I use the 066 exclusive now for everything other then branch trimming, I just like how it revs.

I suggest finding local dealers and go test out each saw with a 20" bar and then pick the one you like best or go with the best local dealer.

SawTroll

I have never used either, but most that do seem to prefere the Husky, even though it is quite a bit heavier........ 8) 8)
Information collector.

hornett22

395 is more saw. ms660 is more comparable to the 385xp.

the Huskies don't need the oiler upgraded but the stihl has the factory dual port muffler cover option.

i prefer the Husky.

Jeff Gottschall

Rebocardo,    How does the Stihl rev. up differant than the Husky?  Does it rev. higher or faster?   Try to explain it if you can.  OK?   Which one has less vibration in the handles?    Which one has most torque in the cut?           Thanks  Jeff 

Rocky_J

The Stihl 660 is more popular in these parts, but I have a 395 because the big Stihls don't oil as well. Therefore they are limited as to how hard you can push them because the chain binds up due to lack of lubrication. This also wears out bars twice as fast as the 395. I own over a dozen saws, most of them modified, so I don't pull out the 395 until it's time to cut big wood. I push my saws hard and expect a lot out of them and the 395 delivers.

There is a high output oiler available on the West coast full wrap versions that pumps more oil (1.2mm vs 0.9mm) but it's almost $100. I put one in a buddy's 660 and it made a huge difference. The Stihl also has the side access chain tensioner that the 395 doesn't have.

There's plusses and minuses to both saws, but they are the two best in class. It's like arguing Ford vs Chevy. Neither is clearly superior but evertyone will have an opinion based on their particular preferences.

Jeff Gottschall

zackman1801

although with the 20" bar he intends to use on it wouldent either saw oil equally as well?

also for a 20" bar are you sure you need all that saw, im a firm believer that if it doesnt need to be that heavy it shouldent, i would rather use a saw that was small and took a little longer to cut than to carry around a huge saw that was really heavy and not need the extra power, then again i am carrying my saw around all day, for a firewood cutter maybe you could get away with it only using it for short periods of time.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Rocky_J

Oh, heck yeah. With a 20" bar it doesn't matter. I wouldn't run anything shorter than a 28" on either of those saws, a ported 372 is plenty of excitement for a 20" and 5 lbs lighter. Or even a Stihl 460.  8)

(current models, smallest to largest)
Best Husky models:                      Best Stihl models:
----------------------                     ---------------------
                                                    MS200T
346XP
357XP                                          MS361
372XP                                          MS440
                                                    MS460
395XP                                          MS660
3120XP                                        MS880

All of these saws are winners. Pick the size and color you want.  8)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Jeff Gottschall on November 09, 2008, 06:36:53 PM
Wally,    I just want a hotrod saw for bigger firewood.   20"  bar   Jeff

Now are we talking a Hotrod saw (woods ported) or just a big stock saw you think is a hotrod.

Jeff Gottschall

cut4fun,   It would be a stock hotrod saw for me.  Not a full blown race saw, although that would be FUN.  I have a 7900 dolmar [stock] with a 20" bar and I want a little more power!!!   thanks   Jeff

Ironwood

MY GOODNESS, that is a BIG saw for firewood. I think if you timed cut for cut the Husky would out produce the Stihl, i have had both and stuck w/ the Husky as it's RPM's ROCK! I have two 394's, and two 372's (which are ideal for firewood). Stihl is a good saw. but I perfer a throughbred, to the a quarter horse. They both get you there (and feel different) but WOW the RPM's.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wi woodcutter

jeff-maybe you would consider a older "classic" saw for your firewood.

Here are my reasons
1 Old saws are very cool!
2 I feel a well taken care of older "classic" saw is better than any new saw, nomatter what the make.
3 Older saws can be had for half as much, so you should be able to buy twice as many.
4 Older saws have lots of power for firewood (sometimes I cut firewood with a 076av, overkill I don't feel so!)
5 Older saws are cool!

Some models you may think about-stihl 056 or 056mag, jonserd 90 my dad a 90 he said it just ripped, homelite C9, I don't know much about husky saws but I'm sure they made great ones too. Maybe some other members could add some other models. 

Cut4fun

Woods ported does not equal a racesaw. Woods ported is a saw that can be worked. More power in a smaller package, I think was the idea for people and woods porting work saws.
Race ported racesaws are just that, 3 cuts and lights out.
Woods ported are work saws.

Thank You Sponsors!