iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old sayings

Started by Woolywolf, November 08, 2008, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolywolf

I recently heard some good old sayings (actually, I'm unsure if they're old or not, but they were amusing).  The man who used them was quite a character and good story teller.  Here are a few of the sayings he used,

"They've been here since Moby Dick was a minnow" (in reference to long time residents in a community).
"They were so low you could see the crystal in the pilot's watch, and they were lower than a snake's belly in a wagon track" (both in reference to low flying helicopter's, which he called "swing wings").
"They'd complain if you hung 'em with a new rope" (in reference to chronic complainers). 

My girlfriend's dad sometimes says, "Don't take no wooden nickels," instead of goodbye. 

I'm sure there are some people on this forum with a repertoire of good sayings.  Feel free to post--we'll only take ownership of the good ones.  ;)

tree-farmer

I enjoy the old saying as well, one of the all time favorites is, "that boy was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs". The mental image sums it all up.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

easymoney

dont let the screen door hit you on the way out. meaning i want you to leave.

scgargoyle

In reference to someone's age, "He was a busboy at the Last Supper".
"He could talk the ears off a china cat."
"Since Hector was a pup". (Not sure of the origin, but it means a long time)
We have a very bad singer where I work, and we have a bunch for him:
"He took a stab at it, but didn't draw any blood."
"He made that song his own- nobody else wants it now."
"If I could sing like that, I wouldn't."
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom

Quote from: timberfaller390 on November 09, 2008, 09:41:25 AM
here is a thread with a ton of old sayings: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31108.60.html

Yeah, That thread was supposed to have been about Defunct sayings.  Things that aren't said anymore because, either the language, or technology, passed them buy.  Advertisements that no longer had a product to tout would be an example.   Still lots of folks interpreted it differently and it does have some old sayings on it.  :)

zopi

Hmmm...southernisms..

If he gets any skinnier he'll fall through his own butt and hang himself...

Hotter'n two rats umm..mating in a wool sock.

colder'n a norweigian witch's ummm..breast in a brass bra doing pushups in the snow on the third Sunday in January..

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya..

Colder'n a well diggers...ummm rear..

Hope I I don't get in trouble...<G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JV

One I remember and can visualize but would get you in real trouble nowdays.

"Faster than a turpentined cat."  Another one was "faster than greased lightning."
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

bd354

Life is easier if you plow around the stump.             

Always drink upstream from the herd.

WH_Conley

Slicker than deer guts on a door knob.
Bill

zopi

ummm...mating like weasels on speed...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woody1

My Pap would say " It was so hot the corn started popin', the ole mule thought it was snowin', he lated down and froze to death"
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

stumpy

"Drunker than nine snakes in a barrell"
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

CHARLIE

It's like driving on greased BB's.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Cedarman

"That hurt worse than sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol"  OUCH
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mr Mom

"faster than a raped ape" was how dad would tell how fast the wild dogs ran when he would shoot at them.
There was some that we would use to say about the hot weather but not right for this fourm.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2008, 12:14:14 PM
Quote from: timberfaller390 on November 09, 2008, 09:41:25 AM
here is a thread with a ton of old sayings: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31108.60.html

Yeah, That thread was supposed to have been about Defunct sayings.  Things that aren't said anymore because, either the language, or technology, passed them buy.  Advertisements that no longer had a product to tout would be an example.   Still lots of folks interpreted it differently and it does have some old sayings on it.  :)

A little quid pro quo, then...

"Man to man, smoke Roi-Tan" 

:)

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

OneWithWood

From a song -

"That's an old saying, I just made up."

and another-

It's the same old wine in a brand new bottle...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

timberfaller390

"That horse was so lame he couldn't walk fast enough to scatter his own manure"
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Sprucegum

"Going to beat 60" is a saying that disappeared when we were forced to use Kilometeres per hour  >:(

I bet you all down south can still go to beat 60  :D  :D

zopi

's ugly she'd make a freight train take a dirt road.

Shakin' like a hound dog ummm..pooping peach seeds.

ugly as a mud fence...

bawlin' like a sick calf in a hailstorm...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bck

If it aint broke dont fix it

zopi

Or the Gov't version..If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woodbowl

It's time to bury the hatchet .... just leave the handle sticking out.

Two heads are better than one, even if one is a goat head.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

To the old neighbor next door, I used the old saying:

"You left the barn door open"

He responded quickly, "What can't get up, can't get out"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bd354

Degree of difficulty                                                     

that's harder than pokin' a raw oyster in a parkin' meter

Jasperfield

Are Moderators online now?; Or can I just go ahead?

Woodcarver

A variant on the snake theme: so low he would have to climb a ladder to tickle a snake's belly.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

beenthere

Quote from: Jasperfield on November 11, 2008, 11:21:45 PM
Are Moderators online now?; Or can I just go ahead?

Remember Jeff's policy...if it can't be said in his living room, it doesn't belong in his Forum. 
(If'n I'm hearing your question right).
Keep the forum in good shape.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

"What's on the spit?"

It originated from the early to mid 1800s, used to ask what was cooking on the open fire. It is now used to ask what do you have planned or what are you going to be doing?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

"Packed like sardines."

note:  Maybe this one belongs in the Defunct Sayings thread.  I just opened a can of sardines, and it didn't seem crowded in there at all. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tim L

My grandfather used to say "better than a peck on the head with a sharp stone " if I said what do you think ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

nas

Quote from: DanG on November 12, 2008, 01:14:24 PM
"Packed like sardines."

note:  Maybe this one belongs in the Defunct Sayings thread.  I just opened a can of sardines, and it didn't seem crowded in there at all. :-\
"Opening a can of sardines, or worms" If you say something that gets everyone "Hot and bothered"
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

timberfaller390

It was more fun than a train wreck.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

brdmkr

Gooder than snuff and not near as dusty.

I was better, but I got over it.

Finer than a frog's hair split four ways.

Slicker than owl poop on a tin roof.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Radar67

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The Shinola's the other one.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Toolman

Grandpa used to say to door to door salesmen, "I'm so poor, I can't even pay attention"

When he had so much sawing business lined up that he could'nt find time to fish "I'll still take feast over famine"

My personal favorite, his name for watermelon "pith pumpkin"
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

timberfaller390

"Handy as a handle on a water melon" and a friend of mine uses this sometimes "That idea is like windshield wipers on a billy goat's butt, niether one would work"
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock off a forty foot bluff...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday
heres a few to do with speed

He's going like a cut snake

He's going like a cat on a hot tin roof

I sitting on a Dollar ,100kph. dollar 10 ,110kph only came in in the 60s

Ausse measurement

I got it within a Bees d#@k = Dang near close to perfect

Its within a poffteenth = 10 bees d@#$

Its within a Bulls roar = within 100 bees things or 10 poffteenths

Going out past the black stump  .a real place out past the back of Bourke in other words going a long way as bourke is about 800 miles noth west of my home town

and

Its cold enough to freez the b@#$s of a brass monkey

Ive got more but some of them arnt appropriate here as i think im pushing it with the bees one .just let me know if i have Jeff  ;)

reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tom

Some of those Australian sayings almost need to be explained.  Y'all sure do talk funny.  :D :D

Mr Mom

When we would get in trouble and my dad was at work my mom would say" the calm before the storm" thats when we knew dad was pulling in the driveway and we beter run for cover.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Polly

:)  y ou have to learn to hoe your own roe  other words solve your own problems          you made your bed now you have to lay in it meaning you made a decision now stick to itl            you all ant making no money reading stuf i wrote :D :D 8)                                     

Meadows Miller

Gday

Yeah Tom the way we do things and our sence of humor and some of our sayings need explaning sometimes . sometimes people think where taking the pi$$ outa them when were only joking around with them  ::) ;) :D Aussies are pretty dang sacastic Mob at times tho dang it all the time  ;)  :D :D ;D

Heres one Dad uses on me all the time !
You put the cart before the horse all the time.
He gets a reply that ive allways prefered rear wheel drives or havent you seen a horsencart back up a hill  ;) :D :D :D ;D 

OR
Paddling your own cannoe .in other words doing it on your own

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

DanG

"Dead as a doornail," is something I've always heard.  Being one with a sharp and analytical mind, I've always wondered why a doornail is any deader than any other kind of nail, except a'course, those that jump out in front of your sawblade. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodcarver

Speaking of canoes, 'up a creek without a paddle'.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Tom

Dead'rn a doornail has an explanation.   I read that the saying came from clinching the old cut nails over to keep them from being extracted and the door falling apart.  The instance was given of "Z" doors and the panel boards nailed to the "Z" and then bent over in the back .  Bending the nail caused it to be "dead".

Polly

8) 8)   a friend of mine from esstern ky when you ask him how he was would say   he never felt better when he had less i dont know exactly how to translate this you people have a good you ant making no money talking to me  :D :D 8)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Tom on November 17, 2008, 12:20:32 AM
Dead'rn a doornail has an explanation.   I read that the saying came from clinching the old cut nails over to keep them from being extracted and the door falling apart.  The instance was given of "Z" doors and the panel boards nailed to the "Z" and then bent over in the back .  Bending the nail caused it to be "dead".

Recently I saw a door in a bathroom that had/has some door nails that Tom has mentioned.

Above you can see the tips of the nails has been bent over as the nails were longer than the two pieces of wood that they were going through.

And to further the explanation of the saying "dead as a door nail".
The house where the nails were used would/could burn down. Then several days later the person owning the home/house would find in the ashes of the house all the nails that were in it. They would want to use them again as they were hand made by a blacksmith and usually were very strong and could survive the fire.
Trying to use a door nail, that was bent over, was a challenge. The owner would try and bend the point out straight so that they could use it. It would normally break off. Then the nail would not have a nice long point. And using such a nail would/could split the piece of wood you're trying to use. This meant that the nail was dead, as it could not be used.
So something that didn't work as it was supposed to work was said to be "dead as a door nail".....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!