iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! 2

Started by jeff, July 29, 2001, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I need some editors! I have put together some pages for the web design contest. Can you folks look them over and see if you see any glaring omissions for contest rules, or what ever.

Go to
https://forestryforum.com/webcontest/toh.htm  

Click on the education link to the left, then choose the sustainable forestry website contest link.

Thanks! its almost crunch time for me, and I don't want to miss sumpthun!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I looked at the whole thing and find no glaring errors.  The use of a capital O with a tilde over it used in place of an apostrophe in a possesive has always confused me.  I don't know if it is an error in font or if it is somekind of newfangled, Uni-societal, mono-cultural punctuation.

check "nation's Capitol"

Trees:To build strong partnerships and working relationships that will continue long after the Tree of Hope has graced the west lawn of our nationÕs Capitol.
--------
In the newsroom link it would be easier to read if they were in "date" order.

Jeff

Tom,
 I think that is outside my responsiblity, my pages are everything within that education link.

Tom

RavioliKid

Jeff, ol' buddy, bear in mind that you asked for this! ;D
This is another way to write your opening sentence.

This contest is an opportunity for high school students to learn how to create an effective web site, while helping to spread the word that sustainable forestry is good for the environment and for the economy.

I am a little confused after the first sentence. I think you want to emphsize that there are two parts to the project: understanding sustainable forestry and web site design.

I like the fact that you have all those resources!

Do you think you should mention a bit about the size of the groups that can take part? Whole classes vs. interest groups?

The web site looks great! Did you design it?

Kim

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

I have been poking around a bit more.

Under the "Website topic", are you sure you want to talk about group size? It doesn't seem to go with the heading.

Also...

How do we enter?
Change "excepted" to "accepted". And, might you want to include information on where to get a duplicate "intent to participate" form? The volume of stuff that comes into schools is incredible! It could easily get lost, if someone didn't act on it right away.

I'll keep looking...
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Is the dealine in 2001 0r 2002? You have both of those dates.

RavioliKid

Tom

WOW!, It's a good thing we have a teacher on this site. :)

RavioliKid

Are you going to have any sort of statement about adult participation in the project? Are adults allowed to help? How much help can be given?

If this is going to be a one-time contest, it probably won't matter as much as if you were going to make a yearly event out of it.

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Tom,

Not only am I a teacher, but I like to nit-pick! :D
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

On the page with the contest rules, you should probably have a section that addresses teams, adult participation/sponsorship.

See below: I am unclear about the meaning of the word address.Is the address in #2 the same as in #1?
1. You can include the web address (URL) of where your
entry will be on the "Intent to participate" form.

2. You can submit your entry URL by e-mail. We will only accept submission
from the address you listed on the "Intent to participate" form.
RavioliKid

Tom

Don't they teach nit-picking in teacher school?  Most every teacher I ever had was good at it. :-/

Jeff

Thanks Kim keep em coming I am a fixen um now!

Jeff

Kim, I have thought about that, how to get a replacement "Intent to partisipate form". I am not sure how to do that. Short of them contacting me, them me calling the school back to verify.

The purpose of this form is security. If I send it to the school, I now where it went. If somebody contacts me, how do I know it is not the demented 16 year old hacker?

RavioliKid

You need a little cleaning up in this section:

Important!
You must include the following information in your email:
Your school's name and address
Teacher's name
Web address (URL) for your website entry

Also, do you want the telephone number of the school?

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

I don't know what you are going to do about the demented 16 year old hackers...

What problem could a hacker cause in this contest?

If you find that the website isn't "kosher" you just don't link it to your website.

Maybe you could include a sentence around about the area where you tell them to send the "Intent to Participate" form to contact you if there are any problems.

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

I think I'm done nit-picking for now! 8)

Let me know when you want another dose.

:D
RavioliKid

Jeff

As far as I know, this is a one time contest that coincides with the Tree of Hope project. In fact it is part of the Tree of hope project.

As for adult help, man thats a toughy. I prefer to say nothing and hope that teaches don't normally do thei students projects. There may be a higher voice on that subject though.

Rav, I did not design the site. The Waverly high school kids did. I however created everything after the education link. But nobody needs to know that. As far as I am concerned this belongs to them. I am just doing this because there are no students right now, and this has to be done for the new school year!

RavioliKid

Well, the site looks great! You can tell the kids they did a great job!

I think having this be a one-time contest is a great way to handle all those little things that could turn out to be major problems in the future.

So what if a teacher or parent gets a little "over-involved"? It won't be a question in the future!

I do know that with some programs, ("Destination Imagination" comes to mind) there is to be no parent input. I think they also have a website building component. I'm not sure, though.

RavioliKid

Gordon

Thank goodness for a teacher on the board. It all looked darn good to me. Great job Jeff and to Rav for the so called nit picking.

So to send a proper link for the tree of hope it would be? https://forestryforum.com/webcontest/toh.htm or http://www.timberbuyer.net/usatree.htm

Would you mind if I posted that link on another board jeff? In a nice way of course.

Gordon

Jeff

Your right Rav,
If I call the School, that should be good enough.

Here is what I added

If you did not recieve a form, you may request one by sending an
E-mail to Design@places-net.com
Include your name
Name of school
School telephone number

Jeff

Gordon,

Don't post that link,
This is only the test area for the main site.

Post this one! http://www.holidaytree2001.org and of course you can post
http://www.timberbuyer.net/usatree.htm

We have a mock up site, and the real site. The mock up is for testing and approval, then it is added to the real site.

Gordon

Thanks Jeff that is why I asked before I did it. Shew thinking for once that's scary. ;D

Don't worry I won't leave out timberbuyers!!

Gordon

Jeff

Hey RAVVV!!!! I'm ready for more Nit Picken!!!!!!!

RavioliKid

Okay, Jeff!

I'll get right to it!

:D
RavioliKid

Jeff

Thanks for all the Help Rav,

I have one of these reserved for you when I get them. My judges will get one too. If you want to be a judge, you will get two!

RavioliKid

You still need to change "excepted" to "accepted" after the "Only one entry" line. It's at the end of the sentence.

In the "How Do We Enter" section, change "recieved" to "received". (repeat after me..."i before e except after c...");D

In the "How Do We Submit Our Website" section, you need an apostrophe in "school's name and address"

I think you might want to consider re-ordering the prizes in that section. Either start with the grand prize and list all the things that go with the grand prize (field trip, links to websites) or start the other way and tell what all participant will get, that top entries will be linked and then end up with the winner and those prizes.

In the resources section, you should end the first sentence at the comma and make two sentences.

If you'd rather stick to one long sentence, you can replace the comma with a semicolon.

In the web site hosting section, replace "like" with "such as".
Also, make two sentences out of it. Also, add a comma after "possible".
"We recommend that you use your school resources for hosting. If that is not possible, you may use free sites, such as those listed above."

Also, with the disclaimer at the bottom,

We do not endorse any of the above site links or software products and we are not responsible for their content. They are provided to you simply as examples of resources availble for you to use in this contest.

That's all for now.

8)

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Ooooh! Kewl!

I'll look forward to getting it, and I'll wear it with pride!

Of course, I'll help you judge the websites.

RavioliKid

Jeff

We do not endorse any of the above site links or software products and we are not responsible for their content. They are provided to you simply as examples of resources availble for you to use in this contest.

That's all for now.

Kim you misspelled available in the above section.

:D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8)

RavioliKid

Nit pickin'!Ain't it fun!

:D :D :D :D
RavioliKid

Jeff

Kim, You asked where the radio trivia practice quiz was. I posted it, but that was on part of the data that I destroyed :-/ :'(

Here is the address if you missed it. I will skip the tree of hope site and send you straight to the page.

(Everybody is welcome to play) I could use the feedback!

https://forestryforum.com/webcontest/quiz/quizshow.htm

RavioliKid

Jeff,

I am going to be presenting at a teacher seminar, and I might be able to spread the word about the Tree of Hope project and the various contests.

Will there be information available by next week? I just got called this evening. Will there be a website URL I can distribute, if there are no pamphlets available.

Kim
RavioliKid

Jeff

Kim,
 The website address is www.holidaytree2001.org
There are no pamplets at the moment but it would be great if you could spread that address around and just tell them to look for the education link.

Every principal in every school will get a packet of information. I know that that does not mean that the teachers get it, but hopefully most will. There will be an e-mail address to ask questions for every level under that education link.

Thanks alot Kim!

RavioliKid

Jeff,

I was at a geography workshop this weekend, and the person I expected would already know about this program - well, she didn't.

I sure hope the word is going to get out!

I'll send a little blurb to put in our district employee newsletter. We'll see if they will put it in.

RavioliKid

Jeff

Kim,
 The schools should have had, or will have their mailings no later then this coming Tuesday.  Triple A  was printing our posters and had a foul up that cost a few business days. Everything has been mailed as of Saturday.

RavioliKid

Jeff,

That's good to hear!

I'm glad things are moving along.

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!