iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Noble needs help

Started by Bro. Noble, July 07, 2003, 07:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

NO scratch that-------Noble needs advice. :D   Well maybe help too ::)

We are getting ready to make a couple of new steps in our operation/lives.

Always told my wife that someday we'd build a dream house----she says that day is here! :-*

Son likes sawmilling better than dairying so we are trying to shift the operation more in that direction.  Thinking about making log cabin kits using a dovetailer like Paul_H has.  DonP has given me several good suggestions and we are thinking rustic weekend cabins,  storage buildings, and playhouses.  We have lots of SYP and no good market.  Some planted and some natural.

What I need to know (just a few from a long list) are:

What can a guy expect to pay per sq. ft. to build a frame house  in the neighborhood of 1500 sq ft?

What percent of that is labor vs. materials?

How much could you save if you produced your own lumber?

What size of kiln and planer/moulder would you need if you were going to manufacture your own lumber?  I would be able to use these in making cabin kits as well.

What kind of kiln and moulder would you suggest for both uses?

Thanks

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

biziedizie

Noble,

Out here it would cost anywhere from $80.00 to $110.00 per sq. ft. to build a house of that size.

Figuire on taking your material price and double that and add 20% and then you have the labor cost.

Steve

Texas Ranger

I'll second that on costs, only start at the upper end.  REAL pricy housing in Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Larry

My thoughts on lumber.  For most framing lumber I like the lumberyard.  Been paying 47 cents BF for DF at Hindsville, AR delivered.  No end trimming on studs and lot less twisting and warp than SYP.  For 2 X 12 floor joists I wouldn't mind sawing them myself out of SYP as the cost there adds up in a hurry.

For the hardwood finish lumber I would saw and dry every bit of that myself especially if you're already thinking about planers and moulders.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

If you can get DF at the price Larry quoted than I would buy these for the studs and cut every thing else out of SYP. If you don't need to set the pitch than a Nyle L200 will dry about 2mbf per load.

We have been considering a 5 head moulder for making trim and flooring. I keep being told there are lots of good used ones out there but everytime I look at one they are used hard and seem high priced compared to new. There are several manuf. out there, just type in 5 head moulder on google and you'll get lots of choices.

The new tax break has provisions for capitol equipment purchases for small business' that help out with depreciation.

shopteacher

Hi Noble,
     I've had my eye  ::) on a double sided planer ever since I seen one operate at the machinery show. Boy are they slick, joints the bottom side and planes the top.  Rather then knives they use carbide inserts that can be rotated for 4 cutting surfaces and the heads pull out from the side to access.  Side them out to rotate or change inserts, slide it back in and your set to resume planing. I plan on getting one as soon as I pay off my mill, truck, skid loader, finish building the barn,  build the kiln, well it will be a while yet. ;D  They start about 16,000 for a 16" and up.  Sunhill, Extrema, Bridgewood, Oliver are a few that I have looked at.  
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ron Wenrich

A lot depends on how much production you are looking for, and how deep of pockets you have.  Nothing is worse than having market capacity higher than production capacity, and you can't take advantage of it.

Pendu is a local equipment mfg. that deals in log cabin equipment, including notchers for those dovetail or saddle notched systems.  

Their resaws can be used for profiling logs.  When not profiling logs, you can be resawing cants into lumber, pallet stock, or fencing boards.  It can give you quite a bit of diversity while not adding to tons of equipment.  

http://www.pendu.com/gangresaw2.html

You might be able to find some of these units used.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mark M

Hi Noble,

I can't answer any of the hard questions cause I don't know nothing about that kinda stuff, but I can tell you I got one of those Dovetailors like Paul has and it really works slick! I am making a dog house and so far it is going together well. I just need to come up with a few more logs. I'll post some pictures later on.

Mark

Haytrader

Mark,

A dog house?
Have you been a bad boy?
 :D  :D  :D

Haytrader
Haytrader

Minnesota_boy

Hey Mark,
When will you be ready to move in?  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mark M

If I keep buying sawmills and chain saws and cant hooks and pickaroons and dovetail jigs (when we don't have any trees) it will be pretty DanG soon. :D

Mark

dail_h

Well now there ya go. Mark and Granpa Joe done monopolated, and sindicated,and conglomerated until there ain't no trees in 150 miles,an now he goes ta whining about it.Next news ya here,they'l have them some third world partner,an be creatin more desert.Shoot
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

L. Wakefield

QuoteHi Noble,

I can't answer any of the hard questions cause I don't know nothing about that kinda stuff, but I can tell you I got one of those Dovetailors like Paul has and it really works slick! I am making a dog house and so far it is going together well. I just need to come up with a few more logs. I'll post some pictures later on.

Mark

A few more logs??!! How big are these dawgs??  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Mark M

Hi LW

Only about 15 inches tall, but if I made a smaller dog house I would have to bend over too much to build it so I making it tall :D

Mark

Tom

l :)
Ha!  that sounds like the kind of logic I would use. :)

Mark M

Yep! - Most of us fat boys don't like to bend over too much :D

Mark

Disclaimer: the above statement does not imply that Tom is a fat boy

Tom

Mark,
I'm larger than the average bear but I have heard that the world is in for a bad time, what with global warming and all, and I want to make sure that I don't starve to death when the food's gone. :D

My Granddaddy and Uncle were 6'2" and perhaps I'll make that one day too. The weight will come in handy then. :D :D

FeltzE

Noble,

I have a RBI Planer, moulder, sander gang rip as well as a logosol single phase 4 head moulder. If you would like to see either in operation I would be happy to show you mine.

The RBI is one name brand there are a couple of other machines out there that do the same thing. It takes about 10 minutes to change the machine from one operation to another. The gang saw attachment is a must to cut blanks for moulding flooring or trim. My machine is a 20" 5hp which seems to have plenty of power and a variable speed drive which will help keep from bogging down in deep moulding cuts.

The logosol can be bought for just under 10k new. The single phase unit has 3 hp drive units for each of the cutters. The maximum dimension s 4"x10". I have run T&G 6"x 3/4" pine and 3.5"x 3/4 T&G White Oak with very good results. But don't expect this machine to compete with the high speed production units like wenig. My flooring speed was about 18 feet per minute.

With the woodmizer and baker edger in conjunction with my Nyle 200 and these 2 machines I can produce virtually anything needed to make my own house.

I think the Upper end of the RBI's sell for about $4k but smaller width machines would probably be fine but I'd recommend staying with the bigger motors.

Best of luck

Eric

D._Frederick

Noble, What happened, did the bottom fall out of your milk prices? My neighbor just told me his up to $11 and needs another 100 head to start making some money!

Bro. Noble

Mil;k prices have gone up and down since forever------mostly the govt. monkeying with the marketing.  I've learned to take what comes.  We've milked about 20 years and it's beginning to get hard on me.  My son always preferred working with timber and sawmilling.  We're just trying to work it so it's more his show and sell of mine.  

Erick,  thanks for your input and invite.  our builder is available soon so looks like I won't have enough time to make finished lumber for a house anyway.  I may want a moulder and kiln someday anyway.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!