iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge beams?

Started by 9shooter, November 05, 2008, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I've been working to get a bridge over a small stream. The span is about 28' so I figure I'll need some beams in the neighborhood of 36-40'.  I looked into the idea of putting in some piers in the stream bed so I could use shorter poles but after hearing about the drain commissioner and the DEQ and the fines I am looking to do a clear span instead. What my question is; would bitternut hickory poles work and are they rot resistant enough if I install them on proper footings? There are plenty of them in the woods and they are straight and long enough.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Mad Professor

I don't think hickory species are rot resistant.

thecfarm

What are you going to be driving over the bridge with? Just a car,cement truck in the future,big tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Yes it is important to understand the intended load first before you decide on types of wood and sizes......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

routestep

Over in the foresrty and logging section of this website July 5 2008 a fellow had the same question on building a bridge. Lots of solutions given. Take a look.

tyb525

I think we concluded that I-beams or treated ties/lumber last the longest.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

Here was my solution...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27763.msg397484.html#msg397484

Center span is about 18 ft. It's used most every weekend.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

scgargoyle

For a foot bridge (I think up to 2000 lbs) check out pacifi.ca. They have free span designs up to 50'. I built a 15' one over our garden pond. Interesting project, and very graceful, attractive bridges.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

moonhill

I like Don P's solution at the end of pineywood's link.  King or queen post trusses.  28' is quite a distance to carry any load, dead load alone would be bouncy.   The next question would be how to connect the king or queens?      Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!