iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should i get a GIS certificate?

Started by VTLogSlayer, November 05, 2008, 09:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTLogSlayer

Hello, Im new to FF and am currently attending Paul Smith's College in upstate NY going for my bachelors in Industrial forest operations.  What do people think about getting my GIS certificate.  I have heard a lot of people saying that GIS is used widely across the forestry field.  Any ideas thought or comment would be really appreciated.    Thank you
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Ron Scott

Yes, definitely I would get well trained in GIS for your forestry use. Keep up with all the technology applications for forestry as they will certainly be of benefit to you.

One of the things I find with the "new foresters" is that they have education and working knowledge of time saving GPS technology and applications which I being from the "old school" don't have and wish I did.

~Ron

RynSmith

I can't speak to the industry side, but working in ArcMap was a major part of my job as a prescription forester in the Forest Service.  If you have any thoughts about working for the government (state or federal) I think that you should get all the GIS experience you can. 

And I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for private/industrial either  ;)

VTLogSlayer

Thank you very much for your help! Even though i am an industrial forest major i would like to work for the forest service so by the sounds of it the more experience the better. Thanks again.  Anymore advise would be great.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum VTLogSlayer.  I have a question for you.  How did you find us?  I'm guessing an invitation from a classmate?  It looks like we have perhaps 4 new members from Paul Smith in the last month.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VTLogSlayer

Yeah VTbuckslayer and SouthernVTlawnlogger are two of my good friends.  They showed me the site and i was wow this really cool and could be very helpful for my classes.  I then showed two of my other friends who either have made names today or are going to.  its a great site!
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

SwampDonkey

I use mobile GIS on my GPS device for marking out pre-commercial thinning and also to cruise plots. I'll never go back to area traverse by string box and compass . ;D Although, I use compass to help keep strip lines straight and use string box to mark off 50 m points on strips for one client so his crew can gauge the distance along the strip line they are. Some strip lines can be 600 meters long and access on one end only.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VTLogSlayer

Wow 600m is quite the distance!  My dad is a civil engineer and has always told me that even if you use all the fancy high tech equipment it is always good to know how to effectively use your compass and such.....just incase your GPS were to fail. Thanks again for the info
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Woolywolf

Welcome to the forum, VTLogSlayer.  I've noticed several job postings around this area--I'm in a graduate forestry program, so I'm also keeping one eye open for what potential employers find valuable--that desire canidates with GIS/GPS knowledge.  Two different postings for urban forestry positions considered GIS knowledge a plus.  I think my undergraduate minors have paid off more than my major has to this point; I'm extremely glad I picked them up, though at the time it seem liked I was torturing myself to do so.  Maximizing your education might pay dividends in the long run.  It might help you stand out from some other forestry student, like me ;).           

VTLogSlayer

Thats really good to hear! The GIS classes required to take are quite tough. But by the sounds of it, it is well worth the work load.  What school are your attending for your program?  And what do you have for minors if you dont mind me asking?  Thanks for the valuable info.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

SwampDonkey

Most Forester positions I see posted by companies on "Canada Forests" website ask for GIS/GPS knowledge. It will be an asset to learn the scripting language to those GIS programs as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VTLogSlayer

Currently im enrolled in Intro to GIS and Aerial Photo Interpretation which are the basic classes for the GIS certificate.  I have to take at least 2-3 more GIS classes, on top of my forestry schedule to receive the certificate.  Just for everyones info.  ;D
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Woolywolf

QuoteWhat school are your attending for your program?  And what do you have for minors if you dont mind me asking?

N.C. State.  I minored in biology and chemistry--majored in English.  I loved being an English major, but it does have its drawbacks.  Unless I wanted to teach English or write for a newspaper, my job market was limited.  I graduated and wandered in the wilderness for a while looking for employment. After some twist and turns, I realized I'm fond of trees and forests and insects and other such stuff.  I applied to a graduate forestry program, got in, probably because of those minors, and have enjoyed my forestry courses just as much as my undergraduate English courses.  I do hope forestry will be a little more practical, though--especially in terms of future employment.  I think it will. 

Robert Frost wrote, "My object in living is to unite / my avocation and my vocation / as my two eyes make one in sight."  Maybe I'll be able to do that with forestry and English one day; that's my hope.             

VTLogSlayer

Wow....english major turned forestry major! thats pretty cool!  Writing and forestry definitely go together.  ;) 
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Chris72941

QuoteI would let the adviser help make the possibilities known so you could choose wisely. I, myself, would do a forestry major and GIS minor (or GIS emphasis).

QuoteIf I were you, and had the background in computers already that you have, I'd do the GIS version of forest management or it may be its own specialty. I believe it is; anyway, you couldn't go wrong doing that route for a career.

This came from a district ranger from the forest service so depending on your direction..... He told me that a GIS minor is a good move.

Tillaway

My 2 cents...

If you do not have the GIS ablities you will not have much chance as a new graduate in the job market.  Typically we are finding that GIS is the only thing many of the new graduate applicants bring to the table upon entering the work force.  A forestry degree without GIS does little good in the current job market.  In fact you will not be considered for employment without it.  However, actual work experience trumps the GIS.  We can teach what you need to know about GIS, in fact work experience is preferred.  My advise would be to get a forestry related, logging counts, summer job and the GIS training.  This would put you right at the top of the candidate pool.  A forestry degree with say... bar tending experience would not count for much although it is much better than having zero job experience.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

WAP Man

yes ,anything you can get to " beef up" your resume would be beneficial ...Good Luck

eagle eye of woods

Well, what a relevant question for forestry today.  It depends on your personal level of comfort is using PC.  When I went to school we used FORTRAN computer language and was difficult to use and one had to be almost a little geeky to use the computer. Things really started to change in the 1990's and with the PC on almost all desk, and for foresters in your cruising vest was a gps and data collector.

Since I was the person responsible for timber cruising the lump sum timber sale for my employer, had a staff four foresters, I invested heavily in PC use.  This included GPS HH, timber cruising software, and data collectors.  My employer, family owned saw mill closed its doors in 1996, and I have been self employed since then. 

The use of PC and forestry electronic stuff is very important in My continued employment as a practicing forester to the various land owners that are my clients.  It is my personal experience since that I have Arc View GIS mapping software, when I layout precom thin or slash treatment under cost share with Oregon Depart Forestry, USFS, or NRCS, they tend to not question my layout work. 

A long windy answere, yes you should if you want to be the best you can be and be competive with others in your choosen profession.

Eagle Eye of the Woods 

Warren

VTLS,

GIS / Mapping software knowledge and experience is valuable in a number of commercial endeavours.  If you are close to completing your certiification, by all means go for it and knock it out.  Even if down the road, you move away from full time forestry, these skills could serve you well in many other vocations or advocations.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!