Sponsors:

Establishing a New Pine Plantation

Started by WDH, November 03, 2008, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

4" and 70 feet, they'll make great pole vault sticks.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

Dang don't like them to get much bigger than his waist line. Now if you was to go over to Tom's place or mine for that matter we grow them a little bigger. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ironman

Perhaps with all that 'stimulus' that Obama is talking about creating ( also known as borrowing in some countries), maybe we can hire some 'Re-Forestation Experts to go onto private land and plant trees.  There are millions of acres of unused, fallow pasture land that is laying idle.  The government ought to do more to get that land producing something, if nothing else, a better view.

Lets start a petition!
Jesse Sewell
Ironmart Sales
888-561-1115

Larry

What is Pitch x Lobolly Pine (Pinus rigida x Pinus taeda)?  Is it worth giving them a try in northwest Arkansas?  Gotta get my order in soon for bare root seedlins.  My expectations are not to fund my retirement...just leave this pile of rocks in better condition than when I found it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

I am not familiar with the Pitch/Loblolly cross.  Do people plant shortleaf in that area of Arkansas?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian Beauchamp

Where can I get me one of them there fancy rippin' shanks?  ;D

Larry

Quote from: WDH on November 20, 2008, 07:29:40 PM
Do people plant shortleaf in that area of Arkansas?

There planted here but I don't know if for production or not.  I know little about pine.

Brian, I've never seen a commercially made single.  There easy to make...the hard part is finding a coulter...watch the farm sales.  I made one for use in a tree planter and two more nearly exact copies of customsawyer for the same use...and also to root prune in crop fields.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

Larry, not sure what that cross is, but, in my early days in southern Missouri, it was all short leaf.  That is, what was left after the '30's ,  much of it has been replanted and coming on strong.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

That there fancy ripping shank was made in my shop after I got done busting the store bought ones all to bits. ;D
You have to have a backwoods degree to come up with that thing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: customsawyer on November 22, 2008, 05:22:25 AM
That there fancy ripping shank was made in my shop after I got done busting the store bought ones all to bits. ;D

I think I could sell those things like hotcakes if you ever went into producing them. How much did it cost you to put together?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: customsawyer on November 22, 2008, 05:22:25 AM

In some instances out there, there have never been truer words spoken.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I can say with experience that it works good ;D. 

Customsawyer said that parts of that pasture was harder than carbide woodpecker lips :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Hurray!

The little trees are in the ground!

Customsawyer's crew did a fine job.  I got the trees from the state nursery.  They cost $52 per thousand or about a nickel per tree. 

I had 1500 trees left over.  Anyone want to come to Perry, GA and get some loblolly pine seedlings?

metalspinner

So how many $52 dollar bills did you spend? ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

Don K

Danny, I look forward to seeing the life of this stand through pictures. Looks real nice.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Mooseherder

Great Project Danny :)
Can't wait to keep up with their progress. ;)

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on January 29, 2009, 08:33:39 PM
So how many $52 dollar bills did you spend? ;D

31 of them for the trees.  Then there was the clearing cost on the non-pasture parts of the property, the cost to spray round-up on the pasture area, the cost to subsoil, the cost of the trees, and the cost to plant the trees.  This spring, there may be a cost to apply a grass control herbicide.  When all the costs are tallied, I will report on the $/acre cost if anyone is interested.   It will be fun to watch them grow. 

One really big issue is the tendency in the last few years to get severe drought conditions in late spring/early summer in Georgia.  If it happens again this year like it did the last two years, there will be significant mortality.  We planted over 600 trees per acre, but I need 450 to make it through the first year to have the kind of stand that I need. 

I wonder if Customsawyer also does rain dances ;D.

Gary_C

What is your row spacing and spacing in the row?

I don't know what row spacing they are now recommending here in the north, but the last pine job I did the rows were about 5 to 6 feet. I think the forester was saying they do not plant that close anymore.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

It might have to do with soil, but my last trees were planted with the reccomendation of 10 foot rows with 6 foot tree spacings with the idea of a thinning to 10 foot tree spacings.  The Ultimate thinning would take out every third row and leave 15-20 foot tree spacings.

WDH

A typical regime for loblolly is 12 foot rows with trees every 6 feet in the row.  This spacing results in 605 trees/ac.  I also have a plantation, like Toms, that is 10 foot rows with trees every 6 feet.

They can only grow so dense, so you reach a point of diminishing returns after about 750 trees/ac.  The Industry has been pushing the stocking down over the years; many now are around 500 to 600 trees per acre. 

thompsontimber

Here in western NC, in order to be eligible for cost share money from the state loblolly plantations cannot be planted closer than 10 foot rows with 8 foot spacing within rows.  We still do some 10X6 spacing on good sites in SC where there is a commitment to more intensive management, but have moved to the wider spacing for the most part.  Still prefer 5th row thinnings and removing suppressed, diseased, damaged and poor form trees from residual rows, typically targeting about 1/3 of the volume for removal on a first thinning. 

Gary_C

I think this stand I cut was 40+ years old and not doing well. If I remember right it may have been planted at 5 x 5 on some contour strips on a farm in SE Minnesota. Here is the best before picture I could get as it was pretty thick and dark in there.

I think most of the red pine was 25-30 ft tall. Here is the after picture where I was taking out two rows. I later came back and thinned two rows on each side. The forester wanted at least 10 foot between trees.

In spite of the crowded conditions, it was not self pruning well. But if you think this was bad, you should have seen the scotch pine section. I had to give up on that scotch pine and he was going to get a chipper in to clean it all up.

WDH

It is absolutely mind-boggling that those trees did not self prune any more than that. 

Gary_C

That was a very interesting job and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your plantation as that landowner got out of that farm. The owner was a transplant surgeon from the Mayo Clinic and worked mostly in pediatrics. That farm was clearly his refuge and he dearly loved that place. He told me up front he was not doing this thinning for the money and he did not cash my check for almost a year after I did the job. He also had a stand of the best Red Oak I've seen. Some day I will go back by there and get some new pictures.

Thank You Sponsors!