iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am almost afraid to post this idea... The culvert kiln!

Started by crtreedude, November 03, 2008, 10:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I don't know if I have completely lost my mind (tis a definite possibility I will have you know) or I might just have a decent idea.

I am trying to come up with a way to do inexpensive kilns - the expensive ones come later. It occurred to me that I just need to have a heat source, and enclose to maintain the heat and seal up for water. The top needs to have adjustment for vents to relieve excess heat.

So, after thinking for a while, it occurred to me that I can use concrete tubes, i.e. culverts to hold up the wood AND to gently heat it. Our culverts are very thick and have lots of wire in them. Six inch in diameter are readily available.

So, I am thinking of having them every 32 inches or so, which means the test kiln will be about 4 varas long (about 11 feet). Each one will have its own fire pit and chimney, with control on the fire from restriction of air.

We assembly it, and then inclose it. If we do it right, I am thinking we will have enough draft to pull the smoke after we have a good fire going.

Okay, have at it, why won't it work or am I a genius?  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

One nice thing about independent fire pits is that the middle could be a bit warmer than the ends, helping to dry more evenly.

Okay folks, have at it!

beenthere

No idea what just how you are trying to do the drying..... ::) ::)
I'm too slow, I guess.
:) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

Most kilns require a steady, low temp, dual cycle to operate.  Not to mention air flow.  I think you would create a new market for honey comb lumber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

Quote from: crtreedude on November 03, 2008, 10:05:08 AM
I don't know if I have completely lost my mind (tis a definite possibility I will have you know) or I might just have a decent idea.

It's the first part that is right.  :D :D

What a kiln needs to provide is;

1. A uniform air flow so that all the ends, sides, and middle of the boards sees the same conditions.
2. Closely controlled and uniform temperature and humidity in the air.
3. Allow carefully scheduled changes in the temperature and humidity as the wood dries uniformly.

If your culverts can do those three things, it will work. If not, you can probably get wood dry, but not uniformly nor straight.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

crtreedude

Thanks all. It might work, but then again, it might not. What I was thinking of is supplemental heat to something like a solar kiln. As far as air flow, the devil is in the details of making the stack so that the air can flow through, and since hot air rises, it should move - requires ventilation.

Many of our tropical woods are very easy to dry - since there isn't much here like seasons, the wood doesn't normally shift much, but there are exceptions of course.

The key is not to dry too fast, and seal the ends, after that, most things seem to work okay. Nothing like what you have to deal with in oak, etc.

olyman

cr--i read of a man--that took a 6 foot dia steel culvert--like what would go under a driveway--he enclosed the ends--then built the firepit---and that was his dryer--said it worked very well--and the price was right--as it was a good used one--he got it for free!!!!!  also--you could use the body of a used school bus--as thats what im going to use---

Ironwood

I thought you were going to say that you were using the big black smooth interior walled plastic pipe. I have a 48" x 20'er that appeared at my buddies place after hurricane Ivan flooded these parts of Western PA.  You would not be  able to just throw some fire under it, however you would have solar gain to some degree.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Texas Ranger

Solar powered kiln would seem to be the more practical method, considering where Fred is, at the moment.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 04, 2008, 12:32:32 AM
Solar powered kiln would seem to be the more practical method, considering where Fred is, at the moment.

Solar kilns are wonderful here for 4 months of the year, and then the rains come... Maintain the same basic design, but supplement heat.

Since it is nearly free to try, I am going to give it a go - and load it up with some junk wood. What is life without experiments, eh?

SwampDonkey

Depending on how hot those concrete culverts get you might see them crack or bust open with the heat. And others in here know more about kilns than I do, as I know next to nothing on them. I don't envision a happy ending.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

CR, are you talking about using the culverts as a stove of sorts? To contain the fire and use ducting to transfer the heat to a solar type kiln?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

crtreedude

yes, we are using the culverts as chimneys, with a slight pitch. The idea is that the concrete will buffer the heat. And, we know that it will survive, people use them as chimneys all the time here, we might have to line them, but that isn't a problem.

Concrete will give us mass to buffer the changes of temperature, we are talking a slow fire, with control.

At the very least, I will have a ready made place for grilling... :D

crtreedude

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 04, 2008, 06:10:43 AM
Depending on how hot those concrete culverts get you might see them crack or bust open with the heat. And others in here know more about kilns than I do, as I know next to nothing on them. I don't envision a happy ending.  :D :D

Sigh, they always laugh at genius....  :D

crtreedude

Quote from: Gary_C on November 03, 2008, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: crtreedude on November 03, 2008, 10:05:08 AM

It's the first part that is right.  :D :D

What a kiln needs to provide is;

1. A uniform air flow so that all the ends, sides, and middle of the boards sees the same conditions.
2. Closely controlled and uniform temperature and humidity in the air.
3. Allow carefully scheduled changes in the temperature and humidity as the wood dries uniformly.

If your culverts can do those three things, it will work. If not, you can probably get wood dry, but not uniformly nor straight.

By the way, I was going to say, I can do all these things and I greatly appreciate you listing them.  The key is going to be not to rush it. For optimal speed, you need to have a lot more control, but do it slower, and things go better. We also air dry for a while before putting anything in a kiln. It helps a lot. Rarely do we have problems in the kiln, because whatever was bad, shows up before.

beenthere

I'm anxious to see some pics. Maybe then I will comprehend your game plan.

I can't say it won't work. Hope it does.  ;D ;D

Pics...asap   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Pics will be - yesterday we ran a test and amazing enough, the overall idea tested out just fine.

An interesting thing, while researching kilns, etc. I found out this is not a new idea. DanG, I thought I could patent it or something.  :D Using flues instead of steam heat is done by some systems. I was amazed in truth.

One thing, after lots of ready, has occurred to me: don't try to be too fast. What I am going to do is try to simulate a solar kiln, which means heat it up during the day, and let it cool down at night. This means that the wood has a chance to rest and equalize moisture between the inside of the wood and the outside. This is why (from my reading) the quality from solar kilns tend to be so good, so if I do the same, life should be very good, and I personally don't want to tend the fire at night.

Now, for something totally wacko, I am planning on one of the stoves that drives the flue to be something I can cook a pizza in at the end of the day, or roast meat or potatoes... :D Every see an Adobe oven?

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

crtreedude

Okay folks, just to force me to take pictures. The kiln LIVES. And, amazingly, shows every sign of being a success. Nice, gentle heat too. By Jove, I do think it is going to work wonderfully.

We are loading up the first test. So far, it appears the temperature goes up to about 120 F and stays there - we let it stop during the night to equalize the moisture between inside and outside in the wood.

So, pictures hopefully tomorrow.

SwampDonkey

Need to go another 60 ° don't ya? That's if your exporting....bugs eh? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Bill

crtreedude

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 12, 2008, 08:26:25 PM
Need to go another 60 ° don't ya? That's if your exporting....bugs eh? ;)

Could do it for sure, just need to seal it up a bit more. But, not necessary. I don't have much of an export - and besides, you can't export without spraying - which kills the bugs.

crtreedude

Ironwood

Fred,

I just modified my "PIG", which is a 12' long, 36" and 30" diameter, double walled steel pipe . I was designed to be a wood oven, steam chamber, and someday maybe a vac kiln. There is a 3" gap between the 1/4" thick tubes. These were "drops" from a freind's structural steel shop when they were making HUGE cantilevered outdoor advertising signs. The air gap between was designed to be used for a water jacket running off my shops boiler, which has never been hooked up, SOOOO I have thrown a wood burner under it and used the 3" gap as a flue. There is a blanket of R-20 insulation over it, and covered with recycled rubber roofing (hence PIG, or "PIG in a BLANKET"). I have had some serious "point heats" where the stove flame licks the inner pipe, mostly when my internal fan kicks off at 225-230 degrees. I finally decided that it was still going to be years before a boiler is anywhere near ready to heat this thing, so I built some internal baffles and mounted a double squirrel cage fan externally on the door, the air is briefly cooled when hitting the outdoor "plumbing" and some aluminum drops act as condensors to condensate the humidity (acting as a crude dehumidifier). I don't have any pics on 'puter but will get them off the camera. My 6 year old has now dubbed the PIG, the WALRUS as the  blower and aluminum condensation drop tubes look like a walrus face and the mass of the thing is well,... walrus like. Sometimes I wonder what memeories of me they will carry ::) with them ;D

I say all this to give you some backround on my IMHO. I think your thermal mass my be too great to let it cool down too much at night. You may find to get the day time heats you want, that you may need to not let up too much at night. I do know you dont want the excessive heats that I do, I am sterilizing specialty products, but you will still need to get it higher to force that inner moisture out.

Ironwood  
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!