iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood

Started by bull, November 02, 2008, 02:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

November cordwood prices Green $275.00 Dry $ 375.00..... Delivered in town only
( We are going with the locally grown firewood movement) !!!  
Thanks to The Asian Longhorned a new marketing campaign begins...
 Gee's we have Naked, Organically grown, Kiln dried, Locally grown, beetle free, whats next.......
Washed & ploished

Can't believe people are still calling for their winter wood supply... 2 cords of dry out this morning last of the octobers order @ $ 350.00
Will start with November orders tommorrow, Need 3 cord as of this afternoon..

mike_van

With a bbl/oil half what it was in July, hard to imagine those prices lasting for long.  I'm at 200.00 for a full cord of hardwood, picked up here.  Delivery 20.00 and up depending where.  Thats wood that was split, stacked & covered all summer.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

bull

Mike, seasoned/dry wood supply in this area is about out.
I will be cleaning up deadwood this week to come up with about 5 cord for mid winter sales.
I have cleaned up every old hardwood log in my mill yard and am down to about 5 cord of hardwood slab for bagged firewood sales.... won't sell anymore if price falls under $350.00 it will be money in the bank or my own firewood supply for next season......
I sell very little green wood, 1 cord so far this year and don't care too,seasoned is a great savings account and earns better interest !!!
I haven't sold a cord for under $200.00 in a few years.... I have also had many of the same customers for as many as 20 years !!

cheyenne

Firewood is a ton of work plus the equipment investment. So if people won't pay the price for my efforts they can pay the oil man. My mechanics shop rate is $77.00 an hour why shouldn't we get the same or more & we don't have a heated shop to work in.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

easymoney

on a locol bulletin board someone advertised that they had some tree tops 2 years  old that they were willing to give away free for firewood if you would stack and burn the brush. some people can dream.

Gary_C

Later today, a guy that is a fuel oil distributor is coming to get a trailer load of my $300 per cord, but very high quality red oak firewood. What does that tell you?   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

?...that maybe you are not charging enough.. 8) 8)

;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom_Averwater

I saw an ad for a cord for $125. or 2 for $200.  in our local paper . They must be hungry .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

hiwayherbie

Firewood sales going strong still in N.H.  Sold all my seasoned firewood so I am building a kiln to dry my wood. Using my outdoor boiler to heat the the kiln.  Firewood at $350 a cord make it worth while!!!! 8) :o
LT15, Branson3510, 2500HD, chomper14, Stihl 029, Husky 359,372xp,445, EZ dump trailer,6 roto-tiller, 5 bush-hog...Just playing with the toys.....

beenthere

highwayherbie
Would you share some pics of the process? Sounds interesting.

Any ideas how long it might take to get below 30% moisture content with your dryer?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lanier_Lurker

As a firewood consumer and not a seller, all of these points remind me of why I do all of the firewood work myself.  I get access to enough deadfall at my place or neighbor's places to keep me stocked - and I actually enjoy doing the work (up to a point).  I'm sure if I were trying to make money at it that I would feel like the others here about the prices - and would probably enjoy the actual work a lot less.

Besides, I am picky about the dimensions of my firewood sticks.  The only way I can get them like I want is to do it myself.

bull

Lurker, finally someone to justify my customer policy !!!

The customer is always wrong, if they were right they would be doing it themselves and having as much fun as I am !!!! 8)

Corley5

I encourage all of my customers to buy their wood in the spring and summer and finish the seasoning process themselves.  Trying to get perfectly seasoned firewood at this time of the year is all but impossible.  Buyers then blame the dealers for a sutuation that should have been avoided.  The wood I'm selling right at this monent is less than perfectly seasoned and I tell my customers that up front before I even take them any wood.  Most are just happy to get wood that isn't green.  What I'm selling was cut last winter into ten foot lengths and we are processing it into cord wood as requests come in. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Warbird

The mill/processor I bought from was *very* happy I purchased in late May, early June.  I told him I wanted to stack it and get it 5 - 6 months of seasoning.  He actually said, "I wish all my customers were like you."  :)

He is still delivering winter firewood even now but he told me that most of his firewood is green and hasn't been down very long.  Those folks won't be very happy.  :-\

Lanier_Lurker

I stay at least one season ahead with my firewood.  I'm still burning some white oak from 3 years ago, northern red oak from 2 years ago, and yellow poplar from 2 years and 1 year ago.

Unseasoned firewood is very annoying.

I also have some scarlet oak from last year that is still in rounds.  I will probably start busting it up in a few weeks so that it will be good and ready next year.

And a couple of dozen nice 12"-16" hickory rounds were dropped off by a friend the other day.

I am also blessed with enough Georgia fatwood to last me 15 years (given how stingy and efficient I am with it).

isawlogs

I like to have my wood for the furnace seasoned at least a year before it goes into the house . I am working on next winters wood now . I dont pile it outside , I have a fairly large barn here that I can stack the wood in and have lots of air flow around it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ohsoloco

I don't sell much firewood, most of what I get ends up in my woodstove.  Had 4-1/2 cords set aside to sell this year, and only sold 1-1/2....two were repeat customers that get 1/2 cord every year.  Put out several ads for $175/cord, and haven't had a single call.  I'll keep it and burn it myself before I sell it cheaper.  At this point I'm probably splitting wood for the 2010-2011 heating season  8)

rebocardo

Most people never plan ahead, I was never able to get customers to store wood for 1/2 the price green. I gave up.

What I have learned is this. I can actually sell green pine, cut and split (advertised as such) in Oct/Nov for $60 a cord then sell green oak in April for the same price to be seasoned by the customer.

So, for one customer that had a few pine trees to take down, we keep cutting them down in the fall so we can easily give away or sell the pine.  It has worked very well  :D

Though I do have one very good customer, a school teacher with common sense. I was able to stock her wood shed and fence line with about ten cords of wood, Pine, oak, and cedar and it has seasoned for a good year now.

I was able to get a guy I cut a huge 4 foot DBH oak up (he paid me to cut it) to do two very full dump trucks of wood (about 216+ CF each load packed tight with a Bobcat and Mexicans) at her house for me to split for $60 to cover gas ... for next year.  I cut the rounds down to fit her electric log splitter I encouraged her to buy and she does most of the small work herself. So, for about $60 for delivery and about $100 additional for my labor to split the big rounds smaller, she got at least 400+ CF of wood for $150 before splitting.

It pays to be the grasshopper  ;)

rebocardo

Interesting note, she took my advice and let me build her wood racks out of pallets in her metal roof wood shed (she paid me $15 an hour for that) so it could dry faster being off the ground. Wood under metal roofs dry quick in GA  ;)

So, when I got some free blue tarps from a customer that moved, I gave them to her free for her uncovered fence line pile. I like when things work out  8)

woodmills1

I wanna see that dump truck full of bobcats and mexicans
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

hiwayherbie

Beenthere
I am building one out of a insulated truck box.  I hope to get the temperature as high as possible. The water temp in the boiler is 185F.  If I can get to 150 I will be happy.  It may take a week and half to dry down to 25%.  I read a study that said if you got to 180F the wood will dry to 25% in 5 days.   It has been raining a lot the last few days but tomorrow will be a nice day so I will take some photos and try to post.Just have to hook water lines up tomorrow and I can fire it up.  I plumbed a 100,000 btu hydronic modine heater inside for the heat.  This is a big science project for me.  You can buy a kiln made out of insulated shipping container for $50,000 :o :o  so far I have about $3,000 invested ;D Hopefully it works like planned.
LT15, Branson3510, 2500HD, chomper14, Stihl 029, Husky 359,372xp,445, EZ dump trailer,6 roto-tiller, 5 bush-hog...Just playing with the toys.....

ohsoloco

rebocardo, I run into the same thing.  Someone from work had asked me about wood, and in the spring I offered her a great price if I could split it, load it up, and deliver it so it would be out of my hair.  She didn't want to store it all summer (outside)  ::) and by the time fall rolled around, she must not have liked my seasoned price, b/c she didn't answer my email  ::)

Lately I've been seeing advertisements for pole length firewood for $100 a cord.  DanG-ed it I'd pay that much for wood I still had to cut and split.  I'd buy a $10 fuelwood permit from the state before I'd pay that much for pole length  ;)

Mr Mom

what is a fuelwood permit and how do you get one just asking??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

mike_van

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 10, 2008, 11:23:03 AM

Lately I've been seeing advertisements for pole length firewood for $100 a cord.  DanG-ed it I'd pay that much for wood I still had to cut and split.  I'd buy a $10 fuelwood permit from the state before I'd pay that much for pole length  ;)
Around me, log length firewood logs have usually run about half the price of split delivered [dry] wood.   With 200/cord about the average here now, 100/logs is ballpark.   In Ct., getting your own from the state runs 20.00/cord now, I heard next year it's going to 30.00   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

One of the hardware store chains is selling half cords of hardwood firewood, dried and shrink wrapped on pallets for $189. If they deliver it, tack on $40, then taxes of course. $518 a cord.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!