iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you get here??? where ya from???

Started by Gordon, July 28, 2001, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

A couple of questions to the bunch of new members and old members as well.

How did you find this site?

Where are you from?

I found this site on a hot link from Jeff on another board. Was a guest, visited a few times before making my first post. Jeff has started a very nice place to chat about forestry. That is my opinion.  ;D

The mix of people here is great. Seems from one end of the scale to the other. Be really neat to have someone from each state as a member. 8) But for those who haven't filled out their profile pages you really should do that. It's cool to look at a little history on each member.

I'm from Central Delaware. Yes it's a small state but a very nice place to live. Don't have to worry about locking my doors, then again I've got nothing worth stealing. :) For my fulltime day job I do maintenance at the largest agency in the state. Part-time I fell and skid logs with my tractor, also do dirt work and bush hogging. That keeps me busy. Nothing better than relaxing in the woods. Just a few miles from the beach and where do I go--in the woods. No crowds, only one fool that's me. ;)

well that's enough about me
lets hear a little about you'all
Gordon

Bruce

Gordon.

Excellent idea.  I found This site looking for Professional Foresters on the web - I found the Forest Network.  I live in a small farming community known as Jefferson in Marion county, Oregon - 16 miles south of Salem.  By the way, it looks like the fire season is on us, anyway those folks in Jamestown are in up to there roof tops in flames, 3,000-acres so far as of 10:43pm Pacific Standard time.  I can only pray for those who own forest land that the eco extremist and USDA FS won't allow to harvest there timber.  I guess watching a pretty blaze is more acceptable.
Bruce
Bruce

Don P

Good idea Gordon,
I think I slipped in the same way you did.
We are from the southwestern tip of VA although I tell people we are semi-nomadic log home builders  :) We're in IL working now.
I came here hooked by Jeff's calculators as I saw when home on a 46" circle mill and was calculating yield out of an old forestry text.
When we go home on break soon I think I'll be a full time bush hogger for awhile. :D

Ron Scott

Yes, it would be most helpful for better discussions and information if members would fill out their profiles. Better national, regional, and local information could be passed along.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Jeff pulled me in from over at About.com.  I believe he had a forestry question that needed answered.  Anyways, I stuck around to watch amd help this thing grow.  

Last fall, we were looking for a good feature, and came up with the calculators.  Jeff did the programming, and I laid the first couple out.  Must have been good, since they've been stolen a couple of times. :D

I'm from Pennsylvania, not far from Harrisburg and Hershey (where they make the chocolate).  I saw in a circle mill, and do consulting work.  Some is in forestry, but mostly at mill level.  I have experience as both a procurement forester and a consulting forester.  Worked from seedling to green lumber.

Off hours are devoted to home maintenance, commodity investing, and the Internet.  I'm not very proficient at any of them, but it keeps me out of trouble. ::)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

marc

I found this site when I asked a question on the Wood on line forum and one of them sent me here.

Texas Ranger

I was trolled in by Jeff from About.com. :D

Texan, by professtion, and do side line work as a consulting forester.  Wood worker, hunter, fish a little, computer more than I should. Old fart, two grown daughters that still manage to make life interesting, married to a teacher (thank God for a steady income!)got one dog, down in my back, oh, well, what else ya want to know?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Don must mean I am a troll because I live below the macinac bridge!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I visited the first time as a result of an open invitation on another site. The second time because I got tired of all the "in-your-face" argueing on the other site.  The second time I stuck.

Kevin

Jeff

Man, thats a tough question for me. I thinks it all began back in November of '63, Ray Brokaw was unusually eager to get home to his wife...

RavioliKid

Well, I guess you could say I'm from both sides of the border - conceived in Canada and born in the good ol' U.S. of A.

I'm a teacher-type (third grade) and found my way over here by working with Jeff on his leaf match game.  (ok - he was working and I was watching)

I'm always doing research on interesting things to do with my students. I did "trees" big time a couple years ago and to a lesser extent last year.

I'm not sure what we'll do this year, although we are becoming a magnet school for the arts. I am researching mosaics and murals for project for this year.

I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
 8)

RavioliKid

L. Wakefield

I can NOT remember what link pulled me in here- one of my endless research projects that sometimes involve trees. But I took a look and that set the hook. Buddy this is a GREAT place. :) :) :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Barbara_Gill

Bibbyman invited me. I live in Eastern Virginia about 60 miles from Richmond in Middlesex County. :D
Barbara Gill
www.velvitoil.com

Bibbyman

And Tom Cadenhead invited me. ;) We had been exchanging e-mails from contacting each other over on the Woodweb.

Barbara and I have been exchanging e-mails for several years. So on our next exchange,  I invited her.

Mary and I live smack-dab in the middle of good ol' Missouri.  We got our Wood-Mizer mill in 94 and I can't remember when or if we've ever really got caught up with the work.  We started out doing almost all custom sawing but have evolved into marketing grade lumber to the brokers, lumberyards and factories.  

We both saw and now have two Wood-Mizer mills – a 94 LT40 manual and a 96 LT40HDG35 Super.  We plan to build an all-weather building and put a new Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 in it.

8)8)8)8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Barbara_Gill

Bibbyman introduced me to the site.
I am from Eastern Virginia, about 60 miles from Richmond in Middlesex County. 8)
Barbara Gill
www.velvitoil.com

Corley5

I got here from the Michigan Loggers and Timber Buyers page.  I was doing some research on marketing some sugar maple logs last spring and came across that page.  I've always liked forums and followed the link.  I've been here ever since.
I'm from Wolverine Mi which is about 35+- miles south of the Mighty Mac.  I grew up around my Grandpa's Corley #5 which I've since inherited and have worked as logger on and off since high school.  I did take time to go to college and get a less stenuous job but once a logger always a logger.   :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

I got here through a link on Kevins web page.
Im a chainsaw man, and one day, want to build a log home.

Im in Auckland NZ, and am currently working 12 hour days, 6 days /week freezing fish, as we are in the Hoki season right now (6 to 8 weeks of 3x20 ton loads a week for my factory),

http://www.sealord.co.nz/catch4b.html

so hope to catch up on some posts - and sleep - real soon...!!!  Only have time for a quick scan each day at present.
Havent left!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Bill Johnson

I followed the link over from about.com

I found the site to be interesting and felt that I could contribute my own views and opinions and sometimes actually help folks out.

I really like the mix of people we have here it makes for some real interesting posts.

And now I have a hat and that's extra cool.
Bill

Don P

Hi new folks, seems like we've just gotten a whole batch of new people here. If ya don't mind take a second to tell us about yourself. I'm relatively sure we don't bite...but Charlie might have to update that when he gets back from Tom's place. ;D

Kevin_H.

I followed a link someone had left laying around on the woodweb
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Eggsander

I followed Tom's link from the WoodWeb forum over. I gotta say that this forum is informational and kinda fun.  :)
I'm located in tropical Minnesota. I've been chainsaw milling for about 3 years, just for my own use.
WARNING sawdust is apparently addictive!  :o
I'm now anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new portable mill.  8)
With the new toy....er rather...tool I intend to cut what I need for an addition to our home as well as continue to feed my woodworking habit.
In the way of actual paying work I'm an engineer in the hiway/heavy construction trade. While that pays the bills it sure gets in the way of doing what a guy wants to do!  ???
Steve

woodmills1

got here from the woodweb
teacher/woodcutter from southern NH  born and raised in newton NJ

ex engineer
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gordon

Jee, now you guys have got me thinking how I got here. Oh well I'm here and thats all that counts. :D

Hay the knowledge base is still pretty empty all you newer (and older as well) members should have some good knowledge to add to the base. The bigger the base the better it will be for all of us.

I can't believe that the chainsaw milling doesn't have one tip in there yet with all these chainsaw mill operators. There has to be something that you've found with different sawchains or welding some thing a ma bobs on the rails for easier re-sets or some sort of ratchet deal to make adjustments easier. I think  you get my drift.  ;)

Gordon

Jeff

Hey Gordon, while ya got em all marching towards the knowledge base, have em click on the profile button and at least fill it out a little. In fact fill it all out cause thats all it asks is a little.

User pic (Very important, yes, very, very important ;D)
Where are you from? (Helps with those regional language differences, like, say, when Tom  says "Chores", I know he means possesive, not work. As in, "it's not mine, its chores"

Thank You Sponsors!