iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you get here??? where ya from???

Started by Gordon, July 28, 2001, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

A couple of questions to the bunch of new members and old members as well.

How did you find this site?

Where are you from?

I found this site on a hot link from Jeff on another board. Was a guest, visited a few times before making my first post. Jeff has started a very nice place to chat about forestry. That is my opinion.  ;D

The mix of people here is great. Seems from one end of the scale to the other. Be really neat to have someone from each state as a member. 8) But for those who haven't filled out their profile pages you really should do that. It's cool to look at a little history on each member.

I'm from Central Delaware. Yes it's a small state but a very nice place to live. Don't have to worry about locking my doors, then again I've got nothing worth stealing. :) For my fulltime day job I do maintenance at the largest agency in the state. Part-time I fell and skid logs with my tractor, also do dirt work and bush hogging. That keeps me busy. Nothing better than relaxing in the woods. Just a few miles from the beach and where do I go--in the woods. No crowds, only one fool that's me. ;)

well that's enough about me
lets hear a little about you'all
Gordon

Bruce

Gordon.

Excellent idea.  I found This site looking for Professional Foresters on the web - I found the Forest Network.  I live in a small farming community known as Jefferson in Marion county, Oregon - 16 miles south of Salem.  By the way, it looks like the fire season is on us, anyway those folks in Jamestown are in up to there roof tops in flames, 3,000-acres so far as of 10:43pm Pacific Standard time.  I can only pray for those who own forest land that the eco extremist and USDA FS won't allow to harvest there timber.  I guess watching a pretty blaze is more acceptable.
Bruce
Bruce

Don P

Good idea Gordon,
I think I slipped in the same way you did.
We are from the southwestern tip of VA although I tell people we are semi-nomadic log home builders  :) We're in IL working now.
I came here hooked by Jeff's calculators as I saw when home on a 46" circle mill and was calculating yield out of an old forestry text.
When we go home on break soon I think I'll be a full time bush hogger for awhile. :D

Ron Scott

Yes, it would be most helpful for better discussions and information if members would fill out their profiles. Better national, regional, and local information could be passed along.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Jeff pulled me in from over at About.com.  I believe he had a forestry question that needed answered.  Anyways, I stuck around to watch amd help this thing grow.  

Last fall, we were looking for a good feature, and came up with the calculators.  Jeff did the programming, and I laid the first couple out.  Must have been good, since they've been stolen a couple of times. :D

I'm from Pennsylvania, not far from Harrisburg and Hershey (where they make the chocolate).  I saw in a circle mill, and do consulting work.  Some is in forestry, but mostly at mill level.  I have experience as both a procurement forester and a consulting forester.  Worked from seedling to green lumber.

Off hours are devoted to home maintenance, commodity investing, and the Internet.  I'm not very proficient at any of them, but it keeps me out of trouble. ::)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

marc

I found this site when I asked a question on the Wood on line forum and one of them sent me here.

Texas Ranger

I was trolled in by Jeff from About.com. :D

Texan, by professtion, and do side line work as a consulting forester.  Wood worker, hunter, fish a little, computer more than I should. Old fart, two grown daughters that still manage to make life interesting, married to a teacher (thank God for a steady income!)got one dog, down in my back, oh, well, what else ya want to know?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Don must mean I am a troll because I live below the macinac bridge!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I visited the first time as a result of an open invitation on another site. The second time because I got tired of all the "in-your-face" argueing on the other site.  The second time I stuck.

Kevin

Jeff

Man, thats a tough question for me. I thinks it all began back in November of '63, Ray Brokaw was unusually eager to get home to his wife...

RavioliKid

Well, I guess you could say I'm from both sides of the border - conceived in Canada and born in the good ol' U.S. of A.

I'm a teacher-type (third grade) and found my way over here by working with Jeff on his leaf match game.  (ok - he was working and I was watching)

I'm always doing research on interesting things to do with my students. I did "trees" big time a couple years ago and to a lesser extent last year.

I'm not sure what we'll do this year, although we are becoming a magnet school for the arts. I am researching mosaics and murals for project for this year.

I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
 8)

RavioliKid

L. Wakefield

I can NOT remember what link pulled me in here- one of my endless research projects that sometimes involve trees. But I took a look and that set the hook. Buddy this is a GREAT place. :) :) :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Barbara_Gill

Bibbyman invited me. I live in Eastern Virginia about 60 miles from Richmond in Middlesex County. :D
Barbara Gill
www.velvitoil.com

Bibbyman

And Tom Cadenhead invited me. ;) We had been exchanging e-mails from contacting each other over on the Woodweb.

Barbara and I have been exchanging e-mails for several years. So on our next exchange,  I invited her.

Mary and I live smack-dab in the middle of good ol' Missouri.  We got our Wood-Mizer mill in 94 and I can't remember when or if we've ever really got caught up with the work.  We started out doing almost all custom sawing but have evolved into marketing grade lumber to the brokers, lumberyards and factories.  

We both saw and now have two Wood-Mizer mills – a 94 LT40 manual and a 96 LT40HDG35 Super.  We plan to build an all-weather building and put a new Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 in it.

8)8)8)8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Barbara_Gill

Bibbyman introduced me to the site.
I am from Eastern Virginia, about 60 miles from Richmond in Middlesex County. 8)
Barbara Gill
www.velvitoil.com

Corley5

I got here from the Michigan Loggers and Timber Buyers page.  I was doing some research on marketing some sugar maple logs last spring and came across that page.  I've always liked forums and followed the link.  I've been here ever since.
I'm from Wolverine Mi which is about 35+- miles south of the Mighty Mac.  I grew up around my Grandpa's Corley #5 which I've since inherited and have worked as logger on and off since high school.  I did take time to go to college and get a less stenuous job but once a logger always a logger.   :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

I got here through a link on Kevins web page.
Im a chainsaw man, and one day, want to build a log home.

Im in Auckland NZ, and am currently working 12 hour days, 6 days /week freezing fish, as we are in the Hoki season right now (6 to 8 weeks of 3x20 ton loads a week for my factory),

http://www.sealord.co.nz/catch4b.html

so hope to catch up on some posts - and sleep - real soon...!!!  Only have time for a quick scan each day at present.
Havent left!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Bill Johnson

I followed the link over from about.com

I found the site to be interesting and felt that I could contribute my own views and opinions and sometimes actually help folks out.

I really like the mix of people we have here it makes for some real interesting posts.

And now I have a hat and that's extra cool.
Bill

Don P

Hi new folks, seems like we've just gotten a whole batch of new people here. If ya don't mind take a second to tell us about yourself. I'm relatively sure we don't bite...but Charlie might have to update that when he gets back from Tom's place. ;D

Kevin_H.

I followed a link someone had left laying around on the woodweb
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Eggsander

I followed Tom's link from the WoodWeb forum over. I gotta say that this forum is informational and kinda fun.  :)
I'm located in tropical Minnesota. I've been chainsaw milling for about 3 years, just for my own use.
WARNING sawdust is apparently addictive!  :o
I'm now anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new portable mill.  8)
With the new toy....er rather...tool I intend to cut what I need for an addition to our home as well as continue to feed my woodworking habit.
In the way of actual paying work I'm an engineer in the hiway/heavy construction trade. While that pays the bills it sure gets in the way of doing what a guy wants to do!  ???
Steve

woodmills1

got here from the woodweb
teacher/woodcutter from southern NH  born and raised in newton NJ

ex engineer
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gordon

Jee, now you guys have got me thinking how I got here. Oh well I'm here and thats all that counts. :D

Hay the knowledge base is still pretty empty all you newer (and older as well) members should have some good knowledge to add to the base. The bigger the base the better it will be for all of us.

I can't believe that the chainsaw milling doesn't have one tip in there yet with all these chainsaw mill operators. There has to be something that you've found with different sawchains or welding some thing a ma bobs on the rails for easier re-sets or some sort of ratchet deal to make adjustments easier. I think  you get my drift.  ;)

Gordon

Jeff

Hey Gordon, while ya got em all marching towards the knowledge base, have em click on the profile button and at least fill it out a little. In fact fill it all out cause thats all it asks is a little.

User pic (Very important, yes, very, very important ;D)
Where are you from? (Helps with those regional language differences, like, say, when Tom  says "Chores", I know he means possesive, not work. As in, "it's not mine, its chores"

Gordon

Dang nab it I just knew I forgot something. ;D

Just gotta remember baby steps first we walk and then we march. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But yes Jeff you are correct is sure only takes a second to fill out that info. I did it and it didn't even hurt.  ;D

Got to head home now to a real puter
Gordon

Frank_Pender

Age: 57       Length of time sawing: 10+years     Working in the woods: most of my life    Family:  in the industry for last 100 years.    Home site:  70 acre Cert. Tree Farm   2 Mobile Dimension Sawmills,( 1portable, 1 stationary)  found the site via "Woodweb" ;   cut primarely dimensional lumber.  Live outside Dallas, Oregon  (West of Salem 25 miles+-,  Retired from teaching after 30 years; Been retired 3 years; finding of site via woodweb.com;  been operating a kiln last two years, custom drying;
Frank Pender

allyson

Hi all!
 My name is Billy. My wife is Allyson (where the username came from). I am in Pennsylvania. (Jefferson County). I found this site through a search engine I think? Great site! 8) 8) 8) I am self-employed. My main business is construction and we do logging also. We are trying to get into some milling and pallets. My partner has made pallets in the past, so we are headed that direction. The name of our company is ACI. :)

Jeff

Hey Billy, welcome.

I've noticed you lurking out there since you signed up last month ;) Glad to have you aboard and postin.

DanG

I guess a lot of us are here because of the same drug problem...we got drug over here from WoodWeb by Tom.

I'm a telephone man in Tallahassee, Fla, and I live near Chattahoochee, Fla. I have 1 wife, 7 kids, 11 g-kids, 5 horses, 17 dogs (anybody wanna puppy?) 3 aggravatin' goats, and too many cats to count.
I'm planning to retire in the near future, and plan to buy a sawmill this spring to get my little retirement business started.

I'm really glad to be a part of this great forum. I'm learning a lot, and feel comfortable enough to participate with all of you fine folks. THANKS!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

allyson

I forgot to add that I have 4 kids. (3 boys, 1 girl). Thanks for the welcome Jeff and for the great site.  :) 8)

TxLogger

I got here from link at woodweb.  I've been doing custom sawing & logging full time for 1 year now, small operation, trying to make living to support 3 kids & 1 wife.  First year been a very tough one.  Jury is still out on final verdict.

I'm located in the Piney Woods part of East Texas, in a little town called Carthage.

Ron Wenrich

Frank:

I worked as a choker setter for Bohemia Lumber back in '72.  Bohemia was located in Cottage Grove, but I worked at their Elkside site, which is located out around Winchester Bay.

I worked on road building, setting chokers behind D-7s, yarders and high-lead.  I was supposed to go over to the balloons, but moved on to greener pastures.

Bohemia still in business?  Anyone using balloons?

I also did a summer stint with the BLM down in Medford.

timberbeast

I got here through the Buyer's site,  kinda like Corley.  I enjoy forums where folks get along,  and never make personal attacks.  This site is such.  I live in Mayville,  WI,  and own 160 acres in the U.P.'s "no man's land",  cedar swamp.  Near McFarland,  which is about smack between Escanaba and Marquette.  I have a Mobile Dimension mill,  stationary,  and have been selling lumber and logs and posts the last couple years after spending 23 years as a machinist.  Looks like the factory is looming in the near future,  since my little tractor is in death throes,  after the governor stuck during a skid.  She's in the woods,  and I can't get my wood out.  I cut mostly cedar,  have been in one way or the other since I was about 14,  previously on a part-time basis.  Yep,  sawdust and woods are addictive,  my father grew up in a logging camp on the Parker Spur road just north of where my property is.  He became a major executive,  but still spent his free time logging and builbing furniture.  He has passed,  but I'll go on,  one way or the other.  You can't keep a man down,  if he has the proclivity to work,  and as you all know,  a winter in the confines of a factory may be unwanted,  but it is cake compared to a one-man deep woods logging operation!!!
Where the heck is my axe???

Frank_Pender

Ron,  If i recall correctly Larson sold the Bohemia sold the mill.   I am not sure of when, but I will do some research.  I have not heard of any baloon logging of late.  I will seasrch that for you also.  Come and visit some time, Ron.  I searve more than a can of cold peas for workers lunches.  
Frank Pender

Ron Wenrich

Yea, I would hold out for a cold Oly.   :D

Jeff

Ok Folks, and mostly new folks or all you older members that have just have been procrastinating (Where is my spell check? :-/)

There have been 48 new members since this post and the previous post in this thread. 3 just today. Lets hear from ya. Even if you don't post regular but just kinda sit in the corner (Which is fine) and laugh at Kevin, here is a chance to at least post once! Don't worry, Kevin is harmless and can't get across the border anyways.

swampwhiteoak

Looking over this thread I see I never posted.  whoops.  Way to keep us on our toes, Jeff.

Got here via the buyers network, someone told me about this bf calculator and I just wandered in from there.

I'm a guvment forester in Ohio, working on private lands. Originally from KY, transplanted here for what seemed like a good reason at the time. Young compared to the rest of the crowd here, no wife, no kids  ;D (and I'll keep it that way if I can help it).  Nice crowd to post with here, so I spend more time on this site than I probably should.  

psychotic1

Bruce from southeast Alaska.  A transplant from western Iowa - watch it Charlie...
I followed Kevin's link to the timber net site, then checked out the forum... So Jeff you better start being nicer to Kevin- he got me here.  Wait, ya'll may not be quite so happy about that.   hmm.  I was attracted by both the information exchanged and the humor.

I process (clean, freeze, pack, and ship) seafood for a living.
No wife or kids 8) But no mill either :'( YET!
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

CHARLIE

Wow Psychotic1 is an Iowaegian! :o   I live in Minnesota but moved here from Florida back in 1972. To my surprise, I think there are more people in SE Minnesota from Iowa than there are from Minnesota.  Now, what I wonder is........why are all the Iowaegians leaving Iowa?  Are there any left down there?  Here at work I'm surrounded by Iowaegians. They're all pretty nice but ya can't talk to 'em much without them talking about bird's eyes or something like that....oh yeah.....I remember what kind of bird's eyes they talk about. It's the hawk. Can't figure out why they talk about the hawkeyes so much. Wonder if they're good with grits.  How do you fix'em?  Boil 'em or Fry 'em?  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TnAndy

I came from reference on Woodweb ....spssst..they're afixing to start a Forest Forum  

Been around and in and out of the forest biz for a long time.
Worked summers for the USFS in the 60's doing TSI, put myself thru college in the 70's with GI Bill ( Mr. and Mrs.Bill's son) and cutting firewood....back when there was an "energy" crisis... Bought some timberland in the 80's and an LT40 in 91. Worked at a scragg mill locally helping them set up the pallet end of that biz.  Do woodworking and light construction now to pay the bills.  Love these rainey days !!

andy davenport
Price, quality, service....
    Pick any two

Jeff

Welcome Andy. Let em start one, there already using the calculators we developed HERE!  Make yourself at home. :)

Ron Wenrich

Hey Bruce

I spent some time inspecting utility poles in Iowa back in '72.  Spent time in Hampton, Iowa City, and Rock Rapids.

Those people made you feel like you lived there all your life, especially up in Rock Rapids.  If they would have had trees, I might of stayed.

Bud Man

Grew up, and now again,  live in Memphis, Tn. area.               Linked in from woodweb.                                                      75 forestry grad from Miss State.                                          Recenty retired from home imp. construction.                        Looking for farm and woodlot combo to purchase.                  Future :Gentleman farmer, selective custom bandsawing, drying , selling wood products and trying  to remember and utilize what I learned in forestry.                                            Age : Middle 50's  It's long over do !!                                      I will particapate, but i got to warn ya, I talk in riddles and sometimes ramble.                                                             Great Site==Upbeat==lots of variety and informative.        (Looks like a hydraulic woodmizer with all the bells and whistles)                                                      
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

psychotic1

I knew this was coming ::)

Charlie, all them Iowans you keep running into in SE Minny-ha-ha don't acutally live there.  They just commute up to the jobs that the Johnson's couldn't handle.  Just like you, they needed someone to keep track of all the things them scandihoovians couldn't figure out why anyone would want to know anyhow. :D

Ps. You be careful up there Charlie,  I know way too many folks in law enforcement up your way.  I'll just tell them to look for Mr Potatoehead. ;D

Yes Ron, they are some awfully nice folks.  I grew up on the western side along the Missouri river, and we did have trees.  walnut, oak, cherry, willow.  Sometimes I miss it, but then I'll get a report from the TV  or radio about it being 40 below, or 110 in the shade, then I don't miss it so much anymore.  Glad I got to grow up there though.   :)

CHARLIE

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Andy! There's a great bunch of knowledgeable (where's that spellchecker?) here. I'm basically not trainable, but even I have learned stuff about forestry and sawing trees. That's a mighty pretty flag too. 8)

Psychotic1, I just don't get it. You're living in Alaska and complaining about how cold it gets in Ioway?? :-/  One more thing....are those Iowegians that work in Minnehaha responsible for all the taxes I have to pay to live here? :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Welcome Andy,

Psssssst.....we've got something special here.....you'll see.

Glad to have you aboard.....you will have to put up with that Charlie guy........he's right..."untrainable" ,  I 've known him for a while.....he's my little brother and a pretty good off-loader.

LT40 huh?  I have an LT40HD that I purchased in 90.....way back in the 1900's.........snicker.  I like to say that.

I hope you will take the time to type up some of your tales....I like stories....especially about sawing. :)

John-NY

I'm a relatively new member.  Got here through a post by Dan with reference to pruning pine trees posted on www.yesterdaystractors.com . After having dealt with the yesterdays tractor format for quite some time, I mistakenly questioned the format of this site. :-[   In retrospect, I truly didn't give it enough time.  It's all falling in place now as I visit on a regular basis.  My slow ISP hookup doesn't help anything!  Quite a nice bunch of people here!  :)

I'm from upstate New York - near Binghamton.  I'm the Safety Director for our Township, past politician, past Parks Commissioner for the Town and Park Supervisor for the County.  I own, and operate with my wife, a private campground. www.pinevalleycampground.com   Three grown kids (2 sons and 1 daughter). Five grandkids - aren't they great.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your group!
John-NY

Jeff

Cool John! What? No cabins? Looks like someplace I would try to stay if I make a trip east this summer, which I really would like to do. But I don't RV it,  I am a cabin guy. Its cheaper.

John, you should be sure to add your website to your profile so its clickable on every post you make, or you could add it to your signature file if you want to make it fancy.

Also!  Gordon has taken the huge task of being the Forestry Forums Link master (God). The interface is almost ready to start adding links and we have a special section for forum members to add theirs. There is a button at the top you may have noticed that will be turned on when its ready. I'll let Gordon make that announcment.

John-NY

Jeff,
If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, believe me, I'd have cabins.  We've talked about it for years, but there's not enough time in the day - especially in the summer. :'(  Our recreation program and cooking on weekends takes up a lot of my weekends - and I work at the other job during the week.

I don't even have time to operate my Woodmizer LT 40 anymore.  I'm looking forward to retirement from my "real job" at the end of this year so I can slow down and play with all of my toys.  I sold the ultralight (lawn chair with wings) two summers ago.  I made my runway into the camp entrance road - with gates.  Couldn't get the gate card in and out fast enough to fly through there anymore! :D

John
John-NY

Jeff

Hey, you could always go over to www.mfra.org and try to win a cabin. We're giving one away next month.

Here is the website for the Company that makes them. www.panelconcepts.com  If you win, I could deliver it help you put it up and get to stay the first night in it! (Free I hope :o)

Gordon

So I guess the balls in my court huh Jeff. 8)
It still needs some tweaking but it's close to accepting links I do believe.

John, so you have a campground. Well I've seen my share of campers/rv's in the past years. Used to work at an R/V dealership. I'm a certified master R/V tech as well as a master plumber. So I'm a jack of all trades and a master of two. :D :D

But I sure can relate to the busy season, gotta make hay while the sun shines though. Guess that was the bad part of that business it's all or nothing.

Well now I work for the dept of corrections, yes a nice state job. Good benifits but not a bunch of money, but life is good and that's what counts. Also do tractor work, small skidding jobs, fell trees, do plumbing work on the side. Gotta pay the bills, seems they come every month for some reason. ;D

Also were expecting another baby so I've been loading up on side work to get a nice cushion before the baby hits the open air. Every little bit helps. Now the wife is talking about adding onto the house so I'll need a nice cushion. Maybe I can talk her out of that for now---I need a barn.

OK nuff about me for now
Gordon

psychotic1

Charlie,

Here in Alaska where I am (it's a big state) we've got a nice warm water ocean current that comes up from Mexico and California.  I've never seen it below zero, and 80o is a real scorcher in the summer.  Makes me go and hide in the freezers at the fish plant.

As for your taxes, that's your own fault.  If you wouldn't put salt on all your roads all winter long, you wouldn't have to rebuild them every two years.  And without trying to be too nasty, Ya'll elected a ex-pro wrestler who wore pink boa's in the ring.  What'd you expect? Brains?

(though I have to admit, when I first heard about it, I didn't figure he could do any worse than any of the other politicians.)

JoeyLowe

::) I call my home East Texas now.  I've been in Texas since 1984. I finished up a tour in the Marines and decided to stay put.  Prior to that, I called the deep south my home.  I was born in Alabama and that is where most of my family lives.  I spent some of my youth in South Carolina and that is where my heart is most times.  Professionally, I'm on my third career.  I went into the Marines right out of high school and stayed for 8 years.  Afterwards, I became a policeman until I hurt my back in 1995.  Then I settled into business insurance which is where I make my living now.  I try to spend as much time as possible in the shop making furniture and such and only recently purchased a portable sawmill.  I found this sight while doing a google search for information on sawmill operations.  I've been overwhelmed with the generosity and sincerety of all here and I look forward to posting here for years to come.  And that's that!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tom

That's a whole bunch for a marine. :D :D

Sure glad to have you aboard.  Trees is where it's at regardless of where you are.

My folks on my Dad's side are from Alabama..around Notasulga.  Pretty place and I hate to see it become discovered one day and turn into a metropolitan area.  

Ron Scott

~Ron

DanG

YO Gordon, my MAIN man!  RV expert AND Master Plumber, huh?  I have a mysterious leak somewhere in the water supply for the pot in my 1977 Minnie Winnie. Every time I pressure up the water system, the carpet around the pottie chamber gets wet.

Now, if you'll come down and take a look at it, I'll let you lay hands on my new mill, and, I'll throw in a can of peas, to boot. Don't overlook this golden opportunity to take a little vacation in sunny Florida.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Maximum Life expectancy for water lines in a 77 minnie winnie?

24 years.

Gordon

Don your working to get your new MILL movable right? Well then what better to fire up the ole dodge minnie winnie and pull her on up to this neck of the woods. I've got a few acres that could use a little thinning. Good training for you and while your here I'll take a look-see at the toilet. ;)

But if I were you invest in either a new valve for the rear of the aqua/magic. After time the o-ring seals go away and start to leak. A mirror would confirm this problem. Or it may be the vacumn breaker. But considering the age of the toilet, if it's the orginal---just replace it with a new toilet and save yourself the headache. If you have anymore questions or need some help feel free to instant message me. I've spent enough hours pullin wrenches on them (R/V's) that I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. ;D ;D

With forestry I"m learining a ton of new stuff everyday. With the help of this board and the starting of

FORESTRYFORUM LINKS

I'm beginning to know the difference between chainsaw and a mill. :) :) Chainsaw is that small thing and MILL is that big thing that cuts da wood.

So if you have a favorite link don't be afraid to add it. It's still being tweaked on for ease of use and catagories. So any suggestions would really be helpful. But great links would even be better. Thanks!

Gordon

Tillaway

"How did I get here?" I have no idea, but of course, I do have that problem from time to time.

I am a native Oregonian recently assigned to a secret mission to assist the State of Jefferson in its efforts to break itself from the tyrannical control of the Kalifornians.  (By the way you need to add the Jefferson State flag to the picture choices.) //www.jeffersonstate.com

My cover identity is a Forester working for various local Forestry Consulting companies out of Redding, CA.  Actually I have done a variety of things but it all seems to be woods related.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

craigc90

I followed a link here from about.com and am hooked. I am
an Master Certified Auto Technition . I spend all my free time
in the woods. I have 50 acre woodlot in Ohio. Working on getting it certified. I cut about 10 cord of firewood a year and recently did a small timber harvest on my property. Me and a friend of mine fell and bucked 110 tress ended up with 200 sawlogs averaged out to about 20,000 bdf. My brother has an
American bandsaw and has lured me into business with him.
now I am hooked. If it has anything to do with trees I am interested. I would like to say I am here to stay this is a great forum.

pbenven

I found this site when I did a search on tree identification. I thought it was a good sign when I saw Gordon's familiar tractor logo which I recognized from TBN. Also, is that the same woodmills1 from there, too?
I like discussion groups where you can ask an honest (and maybe simple to some folks) question and not get laughed off of the site.

I'm from Godmanchester, Quebec, Canada. It's a small farming community. I have 3.5 acres of really old pasture surrounded by American Basswood (thanks for the ID!), White Ash, White Oak, and a couple of Elms (still working on ID'ing these ones). Also, the previous owners made a feeble attempt at growing Christmas trees. I have about 100. Most are not more than 3 feet high - and they're 15 years old! Maybe I should go into the Bonsai tree busines ;). I'm in the process of cleaning up the hawthorns from the edges and thinning things out a bit.

Gordon

Ok ok pbenven, you found my hiding place, guess I'm not a great at hiding.  ;D

I'm glad you found the forum, some great info is passed around here. Don't be afriad to ask questions, it's a good bunch of people with a ton of knowledge between them. This site also has some great tools, click on the toolbox in the side bar. A couple of other new things as well, the link directory and the knowledge base are being built up even as I type. 8) 8) That is just a few of the things that make this a great site.

To answer yes it's the same woodmills, you know he has the Kubota spelled wrong on his tractor.  :D :D

Gordon

cointoss

Well I came over on an invite from Timberbeast.  I am retired and spend half of my time in southern Michigan and the rest of it I spend fixing up the place in Northern Michigan.  Eventually it will be full time at the northern place when the better half retires. I enjoy the many informative threads here and have learned quite a bit on trees and the information here is faster than the Forestry dept or Ag dept ever could be. :)
cointoss

Phil

I had been using About.com for some time and decided to do a search for other forestry forums.

I've been in eastern Kentucky for almost seven years, but I'm originally a Tennessee boy from atop the Cumberland Plateau.

I look forward to swappin' wisdom and yarns with y'all in the near future.

Phil

woodmills1

kubotikioti :D it is orange but i kudent affofda kiotikubota, anda ita dina have fopsa lopsa ora loader kubota.  woods as always you friend and mine
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don K

Talk about dragging up a old thread!!      I found this site reading about everything I could think to put into a search engine about sawmilling as I was about to purchase my own mill. Followed a link from Woodmizer to a article about Warden Sawmill that had another link about the Forestry Forum.  Lurked awhile then joined up and have enjoyed every minute of my time here and have actually got to meet a few members in person.   ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Qweaver

Sarah and I decided to build a cabin in WVa by buying a sawmill and sawing our own trees.  I found this site while seeking information on sawmills and it has been a great source of information and entertainment ever since.  8)

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawguy21

I was looking for a site on western forestry and logging when I found FF. Knew nothing about mills but have since become much more enlightened. Also very entertained, I'm still laughing at Jeff and Tammy's Exportation.  :D What a great bunch.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iain

thedeeredude

I found this site when someone linked to the 9 foot circle saw pics.  And after joining I found out I live about 45 minutes from Ron Wenrich.  So I go pick his brain at work ;D

Quartlow

I just kinda stumbled in by accident, then they put me in a cage for amusement  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don_Papenburg

Someone mentioned it at finehomebuilding 's Breaktime  forum . So I gave it a looksee.  I am in northcentral Ill.  . I have an old Frick sawmill yet to be set up  .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

asy

Quote from: Quartlow on June 28, 2006, 10:49:25 PM
I just kinda stumbled in by accident, then they put me in a cage for amusement  ;D

Oh gosh!!!

We nearly forgot!

With the Boss and Bossette away who's on the roster to feed Quart?

What'll we do? Are we gonna feed him? Should we set him free???  what's going to BECOME of him?!

We need a CONCENSUS!!!  Ideas anyone?

I fell into here when we were looking for a farm and our own sawmill. I'm not sure, but I think if you check the forum calendar someone's coloured that day in black. :D The farm idea is on the back-burner for the moment  :'( But I liked it here so I thought I'd hang around a bit...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

PawNature

Rebocardo told me about this site, I've been around ever since. I live in eastern, Kentucky. Lawrence County.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Grawulf

Asy,
I'll feed him - I'm probably closest and I think you're WAY to busy with the FBI. I posted a thread over on Docs forum about hauling arches and some kind gentleman directed me over here to look at his - I don't remember who it was but the arch was yellow. HANG ON QUARTLOW !!!!!!!! I'M ON MY WAY WITH THE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       smiley_horserider     Should I let him out when I get there??????

asy

Hey Grawulf!

Thanks HEAPS for volunteering to look out for Quartlow, we've sorta become fond of him...

Not sure about letting him out, maybe if he's on a good strong leash..  but be careful.

Also, could you make sure he's got enough water and some cover before you leave, I'd hate the boss to get back and find we've let the budgie quartlow suffer.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

IL Bull

I was lured over here by Kirk Allen when he linked a post from the other web site. :P  Been here ever since. 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

SAW MILLER

Tom did it!
      I was starting to do some custom sawing and while looking at other sawyers web sites I stumbled on to Toms web and he mentioned this site.Man,I'm glad I found this place :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

joelmar10

I've been working my way through Doug Sherwin's links page over the last five years.  I finally gave this forum more than a glance and I was hooked.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

gary

I was at that other site and people were talking about this site. So i checked it out and decided to hang around

sawguy21

And were they saying that we are a very nice helpful bunch? ;D

badpenny

I was at another site and the reply to my question about small bandsaws was "Go to forestry forum.com, they know it all." That was 16 months ago, and I've been here ever since. Nicest bunch of people here that I have ever had the privledge to associate with. Most of my questions were answered just by reading someone elses problems or questions and the answers to them. And when I had a problem, Radar67 had an answer in 15 minutes of my original post. Just don't get no better than that. I never did go back to that other site, altho they were right, with the collected knowledge on this site, I think all of you really do "know it all", or where to ask to find out.
  So once again, my thanks to all for being here and helping this newbie over the bumps and hurdles.( and the ones to come)
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

arj

I got here like a lot of others for, something on woodweb I like it here better, much more friendly
                                                   arj

Bro. Noble

Quote from: badpenny on June 29, 2006, 09:21:04 PM
   I was at another site and the reply to my question about small bandsaws was "Go to forestry forum.com, they know it all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

I can't imagine who would have said such a thing------maybe that Roburt or Roopert-------what a pair of malcontents ::)

Personally I can't remember not being here-----course I can't remember lots of stuff.  I think maybe Al Gore sent me here,  he invented this didn't he? :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

Al who ??? ??? ??? Ent he de un hoo cant spel

oldsaw

I can't remember either, but I think it was looking for information on chainsaw milling.

Like a booger on a finger, they haven't been able to get rid of me either.  In all fairness, I don't think anyone has tried too hard though.  I guess I've just kind of "dried onto" the place.  The people just don't get much better.  Some are even classier than me!!! Whooda thunk it.

BTW, I'm a displaced Minnesotan living in the state of Misery...oops, Missouri.  But, any state with trees is a good state.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

dave7191

I wandered in here about like old saw looking for information on chainsaw mills these folk thought a lot like I do  and were  friendly i just stayed don;t say much but do quite a bit of reading and can get a good laugh here most days
Dave :D :D 8)

Raphael

I first found this place about 5 years ago when I started researching small sawmills... I think I followed a link from Wood-Mizer or Peterson's.  I read pretty much every post on sawmills and then wandered off into the great beyond.
  Second time was shortly after the Timberframing board was added, I did a web search and discovered Jim Rogers tinmberframing tools for sale list resided here as well as at TFGuild's BBS.  I followed the activity on the board for several months before I wandered off again to design my Timber Frame.
  Third times the charm... I came back about 18 months ago and have been hanging around ever since.

We're currently living with my father, in the house my grandfather built for his retirement, while we build our own home on a 5 acre parcel cut off the family land.  My family has had land here in Warren for ~200 years but my roots are from all over New England.  I was born in Virginia, my sister was born in North Carolina and my brother was born is Alaska... sometimes I'm not to sure where I'm from.

My wife is an internet war bride from Iowa and is currently the customer service rep for our local bank.

I've got a sign out at the road that says I'm dba: DreamScapes; landscape design and installation.
I've got a part time job (Sat., Sun. & Monday evenings) as a medical technologist at a VA medical center.
I'm still not completely sure what I want to be when I grow up... I'll tell ya when I get there.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

estiers

Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Markus

I came here on a big web surf trying to figure out the best use for the 200 acres of woods I inherited.

Thank You Sponsors!