iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CASE POWER UNIT ??

Started by smwwoody, July 05, 2003, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

do any of you know much about a 6cyl case diesel power unit I can pick it up real cheep and it was just rebuilt

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Haytrader

Did it come out of a tractor?
Is it 541 cubic inch?
Year?
Haytrader

smwwoody

It is a factory built power unit built by case  it is a modle 410.  I will check the year and displacement
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

I think it is 541 cubic inch
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Sawyerfortyish

I think they put the 410s in backhoes I have a 310. Good moters if it's cheap i would go get it!

smwwoody

This unit is much bigger than a backhoe motor.  at least like the case 580 hoe's.

Well i bought it anyhow.  I figured I couldn't go too wrong for $600.  If nothing else the clutch, radiator, and frame will work to make a power unit out of my 6BTA cummins.  
Has anyone tried to run a band with a hydralic motor??

I have a large hyd pump and I think I am going to go full hyd on the vertical band mill I built last year.  

my newest idea is to keep the band mill and set the circle mill up in front of it to square rr ties on then I can pass the grade cants on down to the band mill.  once we get enough grade cants to saw for a day we will shut down the circle mill and fire up the band mill.

kind of like a resaw but we can still run with 2 or 3 people

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

beenthere

Your newest idea might work okay, as long as you will recover the grade lumber that is outside the 'grade' cant, and that the surface of the 'grade' cants don't degrade while they sit waiting to be sawn on the band. For some species (oak, for one) the surface will produce drying checks very quickly, reducing the grade just as quickly.
Good luck with the hydraulic idea and the circle saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

As far as the grade lumber outside the cant there shouldn't be much.  All I will do is open 4 faces on the circle mill and send a nice clean cant to the band mill.  they should only have to sit for 2 or 3 days under roof untill i saw them  on the band mill.  if I only have a few sitting and it looks like they will be there too long that will give me a good project to do by myself at night
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!