iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12,000 pounds of freight delivered... on a ski trail??!

Started by Warbird, October 30, 2008, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Thought some of you truckers might like this one.  This poor guy thought the ski trail right next to the building I work in was the road to the dock.  He made it all the way out into that field and almost got it turned around before he got stuck.  There is a *very* large incline out there, the closer you get to the main road:

The other semi sitting on the road was called in, in case the stuck rig needed a tow.  They were going to detach the trailer and get the other rig out there in the field with him.  Luckily, putting chains on the stuck rig and some careful driving got 'er rolling again:

I watched him when he first drove by.  He was haulin'.  Doing at least 35 MPH.  Didn't stop long enough to think things through.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I guess it don't take long to ferm up the ground with little snow and -50F for a few mornings. Burr, that picture is too cold. I gotta go build a fire.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Heh.  We haven't seen -50 yet.  It's only gotten to -15 during the coldest night this winter, yet.  Still, yes, the ground is frozen up pretty good.  In the summer time, that field is full of grass and I'd bet it'd be soft enough you wouldn't want to drive that big a rig out on it.  He is also lucky we haven't had much snow yet.

SwampDonkey

I don't care, -15 F is still cold. I built a fire anyway. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

We have semi's show up on a daily basis and I'm amazed the some can pass a cdl. Most of the day freight guys are very good but the long haul ones are terrible. Last winter we had very deep snow at our office and the snowmobiles were going across the ditch next to our place. Lo and behold we had a driver think that trail was an entrance. He got as far as the drivers in the middle of the ditch and was sunk in pretty deep. Luckily the snow cushioned him so no damage was done. I hooked onto the back of the trailer with my big tractor and pulled him out. The look on his face was priceless as I don't think he expected the tractor to pull him out so easily. He asked what I owed him and you never saw a guy grin so big when I told him nothing.

SwampDonkey

Dad used to hook on with the skidder. Never had anyone make the mistake to follow a snowmobile trail, but quite a few couldn't back up a truck worth beans. I sure wouldn't want them backing up in some tight spaces I seen in some cities. They'd end up taking a few bricks with them.  :D

SwampDonkey

Faron

The old timers around here laugh about one farmer who couldn't back straight to the dock at the livestock market to save his life.  He would just pull in and get out.  He would find someone on the lot. " Bet you 50 cents you can't back my truck straight to that dock"  Someone always took him up on his bet, backed the truck in, and collected his winnings.   :D  Everybody left happy.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Gary_C

I wish that was the worst place I ever got stuck with my truck. If you drive one of those rigs in the snow, you learn right quick about carrying chains and putting them on when you need them. And there are many western states that require you to carry chains in the mountains and will require you to use them at times.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Maineloggerkid

How could that guy get so confused??. I wasn't even that been when I was in truck driving school.

I agree with Gary_C-- when you drive a rig in snow, you always want chains with you. Especially if you start down outta the woods and slide into a false ditch or something of the like.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

isawlogs

A lot of pride takes a beating when you put chains on a truck ... This is specailly true for the off road rigs .... Been there to many times .  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on October 31, 2008, 05:38:20 AM
How could that guy get so confused??

Dunno.  That ski trail goes over the road to the dock.  I guess this was his first time delivering to our building.  They are supposed to back down the road to the dock, as there is no room to turn around.  Not sure why that ski trail looked so good to him.  It was a topic of discussion at the office.  ;D

Mr Mom

Well i did somthing like that but we dont need to go there.
When you get to a new place you never been you dont know.
Anyone get the drivers side??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Maineloggerkid

Isawlogs- you are right about the pride, but it is better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Warbird

Quote from: Mr Mom on October 31, 2008, 11:43:18 AM
Anyone get the drivers side??

Just talked to the guy that manages the machine room and dock.  Apparently the road to the dock had not been plowed in a couple of days and the ski trail had recently been groomed.  New driver, had never been here before, from where he was sitting, the 'trail' looked good.  So off he went.

His real mistake was when he went over the hump and started going downhill in that field, carrying the heavy load.  Apparently, experienced drivers will not go down steep inclines on soft ground while carrying heavy loads, unless they know they have a way to get out.

bck

Maybe the driver came from my neck of the woods. I have never seen a ski trail, looks like a road to me , just not as heavily traveled as the other one in the picture. :D  ::)  :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Warbird on October 31, 2008, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: Maineloggerkid on October 31, 2008, 05:38:20 AM
How could that guy get so confused??

Dunno.  That ski trail goes over the road to the dock.  I guess this was his first time delivering to our building.  They are supposed to back down the road to the dock, as there is no room to turn around.  Not sure why that ski trail looked so good to him.  It was a topic of discussion at the office.  ;D

Next time he sees a scheduled load to your place he'll ask for a different load to somewhere else outta embarassment. :D

Thank You Sponsors!