iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making vinegar

Started by ohsoloco, October 29, 2008, 10:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Anyone making their own vinegar  ??? 

I was over at my folks' place this morning to check on the 'kraut, and top off a carboy of wine.  Also checked on a couple carboys of plum wine that I need to find time to bottle  ::)  The airlocks on the plum wine got some wine in them, and when I smelled them it had turned to vinegar (at least the 5 gallons below is still wine  ;) ).  Just got me thinking about making my own vinegar, and from what I've read there's nothing to it.  In fact, since my wine contains no sulfites I should be able to put some in a wide mouth jar and have it make its own "mother."

olyman

gent that we get our maple syrup from---made maple vinegar--you could drink that stuff straight its soooo good--serious--

ohsoloco

Maple vinegar  ???  Did he use the maple syrup to ferment alcohol first, or just use it as a flavoring?  That would be great on salads.  A friend of mine shared a salad dressing recipe with me and it's DanG tasty...equal parts of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil  (not extra virgin). 

I've been known to take little shots of balsamic or apple cider vinegar  :)

scgargoyle

You can actually buy special cultures for making vinegar, which is probably safer than just letting nature take it's course. It's just as involved as wine making for the aficionado. I'm thinking about trying it one of these days.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

olyman

dont know how he did it--as he said it has been going for years--and he keeps it going----

Thank You Sponsors!