iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Phillies Win!

Started by DanG, October 29, 2008, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

What a great ballgame to wind up the season!  The Phillies won it, and they deserved to.  The Rays had a great season, and are to be honored for it.  Baseball 2008 is history.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

I am sure Roxie and Cowboy Bob are real excited. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

I was pulling for the Rays, being a Florida boy and all, but it is always neat to see a team win it all in front of the home crowd.  I'm about as happy for the crowd as I am for the team! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Happy is an understatement.  We're estactic!!   8)  Both teams played great, and the Rays showed some real class last night. 

The City of Philadelphia has broken through the Billy Penn curse.   :D  If you're not familiar with our curse problem, it all began back in the early 1980's when sky scraper's began to rise above the head of the William Penn statue on City Hall.  Prior to then, it had been a gentleman's agreement not to build over his hat.  Some call it coincidence, but undeniably, our Philly's began to lose, lose, lose.  Our sport's teams became the International Symbol for choking.   ::)  Now, the Comcast Building is our tallest, and the good folks at Comcast, placed a two foot statue of William Penn on the roof of the building!

It worked!!!  There will be dancing in the streets all weekend!    smiley_turkey_dancing
Say when

Roxie

Here is an article about the curse:

In the category of strange and wonderful comes the story of William Penn's hat. Not the real hat, but the sculpted metal hat on top of Philadelphia's City Hall. For decades, nobody was allowed to build a Philadelphia building taller than that hat. In 1987, One Liberty Place rose above the hat, and a 25 year sports championship drought followed. This led to the story of Billy Penn's Curse.

Well, as the Comcast Tower was completed and became Philadelphia's tallest building this year, ironworkers of Local Union 401 attached a small figurine of William Penn to the final beam of this new icon, in the hopes of breaking the curse. What can I say? It worked. It's one year later and the Philadelphia Phillies have won the World Series, for only the second time in franchise history and for the first major sports championship in Philadelphia in a quarter century!

Here's to curses and their subsequent breaking!
Say when

Texas Ranger

Who, or what, is a Phillies ::)?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dodgy Loner

I didn't know folks from Alabama were so excited about the Phillies... ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!