iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I guess someone thinks I should open the mill.

Started by Part_Timer, October 29, 2008, 08:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well I've had the mill shut down for most of the year with only a few firewood logs laying in the yard.
I came home the other day to find 3 24" white oak logs in th yard.and a walnut.  A few days later 3 sycamore.  A friend had left them hoping I'd cut some semi trailer deck out of the white oak for him and I could have the sycamore just cause he knows I like it and hed split the walnut 50/50. 

2 days later another friend called saying he had "saved 3 buckeye logs for me.  All of them about 6' long.  Just bring the trailer."  "Oh and by the way dad is probably cutting down 4 sycamores this winter 6' across and about 60 feet tall.  Can you bring the mill and saw them on site so we don't have to try to move them whole."

Tonight I got a call from a neighbor saying that he was back in the woods cutting tops for fire wood and found 8 logs the loggerrs left last spring.  Hickory and Ash with a cherry to boot.  Would I be interested in buying them for firewood price. 

I guess someone is trying to tell me it's time to re-open the mill. 
salvage creek timber  open for business
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Sprucegum

Ya didn't think ya could just up and quit did Ya ??  :D  :D

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Good deal, PT!  I haven't run my mill since Spring and was just about to pronounce Last Rites to the business, but the phone has started ringing again and someone brought me a load of pine logs yesterday.  Maybe I'll give it another shot! ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmilllawyer

Good fpr both of ya. Dang just when you think you getting out they pull ya back in. Andy.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

bandmiller2

This is why its important to have low overhead ,and a roof over your mill ,slow times just let the mill lie fallow.When work appears your up like mushrooms after the rain.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

P timer and DanG its good to hear you blokes have more work coming in ;D Like the old saying If it dosent rain it pours fellas  :D :D :D 
Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 30, 2008, 05:57:59 AM
This is why its important to have low overhead ,and a roof over your mill ,slow times just let the mill lie fallow.When work appears your up like mushrooms after the rain.
thats rite Frank   ;) :D ;D ohh and dont forget to have a partime  job in between sawing jobs ifin your a young bloke like me ;) :D :D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

JV

PT

Be glad it's cooler weather with the logs showing up.  Last fall and winter I couldn't buy a

saw job.  This summer when I was very busy with a dirt work job, everyone wanted to saw

in the 80 degree plus heat.   ::)  Did you get the slabber?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

HUMS MILL

Thought maybe I was only one slowed down this summer. Got caught up on some honey dos. Started some new projects. Now projects unfinished. lots of logs in yard. Snow on ground. In sawmill every nite and lovin it.

Captain

If you folks want to talk slow, I was off over 80% this year in sawmill work leading into October.  Now it is business as usual.  I havn't gone off property on a portable job since April, an I usually average 2-3 per month.

Captain

Burlkraft

Quote from: Part_Timer on October 29, 2008, 08:52:05 PM

I guess someone is trying to tell me it's time to re-open the mill. 

It's about time ya broke that thing outta the mothballs  ........  Now git yer butt out there and saw   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Ya know yer gonna be stiff and sore after the first full Saturday of sawin'
Why not just 1 pain free day?

backwoods sawyer

You sure don't want to lock the gate, or you will find a nice deck of logs smack dab in the middle of the driveway that you have to move to open the gate. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MGHGrand

What are you waiting on Tom? Get the mill fired up and get to making some sawdust!

Part_Timer

Thanks guys,
It hasn't been for lack of possibilities just a day job gone amuck.  I've turned more business way than I care to think.  Things seem to be slowing down a bit now, so the dust will fly.  The free logs have even started to show up again here and there.

JV nope I haven't got a slabber yet.  Maybe for Chirstmas if I'm good  ::).  Ok that shoots that idea.  I would like to get one though.

Dang, what ya making out of the pine?  ???  ???

Burlkraft, I rolled them white oaks with the farm jack and cant hook yeasterday.  Yikes I've been smothering a chair with my butt for way to long.  It is going to be a long day milling tomorrow.   8) 8)   2 1/8th x 7x 12 foot white oak.  Anybody want to help.  :)

Backwoods, every time I get the log yard emptied or the fire wood pile split and stacked, you can just about count on somebody dropping off something.  :D  hate to have that kind of luck.

MGH  I get that buckeye sawn I'll bring some in and leave it in the office for ya. 

I'll try to get a few pics for y'all if I remember.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Thank You Sponsors!