iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber

Started by frankie606, October 29, 2008, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie606

Is there anyone that knows something about coal mine ties?(what they pay,sizes,and who to contact about sellinf them) ???

brdmkr

No, but welcome to the forum!  Someone will be around shortly with an answer. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woody1

My wifes Grandfather made a good living with three sawmills in the early to mid 1900's. He logged, milled, and shipped thousands of mine ties in the central PA area. As I was growing up, many a story I would here about the sawmills, and loading traincar loads of mine props for shipment to mines in the area. I thought that mine props were a thing of the past.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

thedeeredude

If I remember right, mine props were most often black locust.  I am pretty sure there's a guy in Schuylkill that saws mine props on a woodmizer.  Where are you from by the way?  Welcome to the forum, and ask away any questions you have someone will know an answer here.

frankie606

I have a medows manual mill in Ky. and I have been sawing ties for awhile now.A couple of guys was telling me about mine ties selling in W.V. but they dont know anything about the pricing. The thing that interested me was they said you can saw popler ties :D any info

WH_Conley

What part of Kentucky ya in?
Bill

frankie606

very close to you,out on indian 377

WH_Conley

Wel, you got the best of me. Where on Indian, didn't know there was a mill out there besides Eshams.
Bill

timberfaller390

I also thought standerd practice for mine shoring was to leave pillars of un-mined coal every so far apart and extensive roof bolting.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

frankie606

I live out past eshams my mill is located in south webster, my uncle owned bolanders mill in garrison.

WH_Conley

That's the way it works most of the time anymore. There is still some call for mine timbers. I checked into it a couple of years ago and can not saw decent stuff at what they wanted to pay and would not saw the junk they wanted.

Frankie, stop in sometime. You must be selling to Koppers, say hello to Harold for me.
Bill

frankie606

yea we hauled to him on friday. having a little trouble keeping logs but popler is plentyfull thats why I was trying to find out about selling some mine ties.can you get rid of popler for mine ties?

WH_Conley

Don't know, never sold any. Never heard of it either, maybe someone else has.
Bill

WH_Conley

I did a Google search for mine ties. All I could find were a couple of references about shorter, smaller ties for tramways, no real info.
Bill

Ron Wenrich

I haven't heard of anyone in my area that sells mine ties.  I even know a sawmill that owns a coal company, and he doesn't saw mine ties.  He did saw landscape timbers.  I don't think the newer equipment requires tracks. 

Props are just a little bit bigger than 2-4" material and mostly oak, preferably white oak. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jwoods

My place of employment had me go to the mining show in Las Vegas last month.  A company/organization from Quebec had a small booth promoting wood products for mining applications. 

Thank You Sponsors!