iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Scaling Stick

Started by inspectorwoody, July 04, 2003, 05:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Looking into buying a Doyle Log Scale Stick but need some help on how to use them. I am a cheater and use the charts that are provided and maybe I should continue to do that but I am tired of using the good ol' tape measure so I figured I would go with something that does it all!

I know that the 3 numbers listed on either side towards the metal end are your log lengths and the numbers in the little boxes all the way down the stick are your bf figures but what about the numbers on the edges of the stick? I am assuming that the 20 etc. is the scale for a 20' or 10' log if divided in two and the other side is for measuring the diameter inside the bark as it goes from one to 36.

Am I right and just making myself think I don't know?  ;)

smwwoody

what brand of stick are you looking at??
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Sawyerfortyish

IW Yes your right that must be just like my stick except mine is scribner.one edge dia other 20' face of the stick 8-10-12' back side 14-16 and so on with bd footage in boxes coresponding to the dia on the edge

inspectorwoody

Ron Wenrich

If you need to check volumes of different scales, try clicking on the red toolbox on the left side.  You'll find several calculators that will help you figure log volumes.  It might help you figure your scaling stick.

For doyle, I've always used the folding type.  They seem a lot more convenient.  If I need to, I can crank the volume out by hand.  Volume = (diameter-4)^2 * length/16
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

inspectorwoody

Smwwoody

It is a conway cleveland.

Ron

Thanks for the info

smwwoody

Yea just what sawyer40 said
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Larry

Measure the small end of the log inside the bark and measure again at right angle and average the difference. The numbers at the left end (unless you read upside down) are the log lengths and the rest of the big numbers are the board footage.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!