iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning carb....Again

Started by brdmkr, October 28, 2008, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I fired up the mill to cut a log this evening (I needed a little stress relief).  Mill fired right up, but then dies when the blade hits wood.  Choking immediately will keep it running.  I've been here before.  I will clean the bowl of the carb as soon as I get a chance.  However, I am wondering how often this should be needed.  This will be the third time I have done this and I have less than 200 hrs on the mill.  Should I need to clean out the bowl this often?  Am I doing something that is causing this?

Thanks.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

zopi

Is there a fuel cut off to allow the carb to run dry before shutdown?

I try to store my carbs dry so the gas doesn't gum up the jets or uptake..

left the mill wet once...shot meself in the foot..had to tear it down.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

brdmkr

There is, but it is broken.  I suppose that may be my problem?  I doubt that I can fix the current valve, but I bet I could add a different valve in its place.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

zopi

Quote from: brdmkr on October 28, 2008, 10:06:21 PM
There is, but it is broken.  I suppose that may be my problem?  I doubt that I can fix the current valve, but I bet I could add a different valve in its place.

Nahh..not cost effective.

buy a bigger mill.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

backwoods sawyer

Install an inline filter and use STY-BIL in your gas.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

For no more than you are running I would say use the STA-BIL. I use it in things like my lawn mower and such that don't get run regular and I have no troubles out of them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

As Zopi says,when your done cutting shut the fuel and run dry.The new gas left in a carb is a problem when its in the tank in volume not so much.My bandmill has a gas engine always run the carb dry never a problem.You want to also have a sediment bowl and a good filter in the line,that way your millen not mechanican.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

firecord

QuoteChoking immediately will keep it running
This is usually not in the bowl, it is the high speed jet.  Search for a diagram of your perticular carb and clean the jet. Sometimes you can simply remove the jet and blast it with high pressure air to clean it.  It is a vrey small orafice {very small}!! I have found that the tiny cutting torch cleaners do a good job.  I am not a fan of running carbs dry due to the float needle, it is rubber, in most cases and will dry and crack over time.  This will cause flooding with just the smallest crack,  Use a fuel treetment and run engine on ocassion instead. 

brdmkr

There seems to be a thought that I am not running my mill enough.  I generally run it every week.   It is a rare week that I don't saw at least one log.  Given this, do you still think that this is a fuel problem?   

DanG

Mike, you gotta quit your job and run that saw at least 16 hours a day, or these guys will think you ain't sawing enough. ::) :D  If you do that, you'll still have fuel problems but you'll have a really big pile of lumber. ;D

What have you found in that float bowl when you've opened it up before?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

karl

Maybe bad gas?
We've been having lots of crud and water in our gas for several months( guess being as cheap as it is we shouldn't complain about a little foriegn material in it Eh?) ::) ::) ::)
I've gotten real quick at draining the bowls and changin' filters.
Lot's of trouble with fuel injecters on our one ton- the crud goes through the filter and plugs the injectors - we have to run 2-3 cans of cleaner to every fill up.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on October 29, 2008, 12:08:03 PM

Sawdust :o

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ARKANSAWYER

Add Sea Foam.  If sawdust is the problem then add termites to keep your fuel clean.  :D
ARKANSAWYER

backwoods sawyer

Install an inline filter and use STY-BIL in your gas.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

firecord

Id still clean the high speed jet.  You'll notice the difference immediatly.

DanG

Quote from: brdmkr on October 29, 2008, 05:42:18 PM
Quote from: DanG on October 29, 2008, 12:08:03 PM

Sawdust :o

Well ain't you getting some good help here?  Beenthere has concurred with your diagnosis...sawdust...and Arkey has given you the fix...termites. :D :D :D

I went through these same problems with my very different engine, and came up with yet another solution.  My fuel system is strictly a homebuilt affair, and consists of a plastic fuel can, a copper and rubber fuel line with an inline filter, an inline electric pump with a built-in filter, and a plastic line to the carb.  I kept having the same problem you're having, and spent a small fortune on filters and new pumps, not to speak of wearing out my carburetor cleaning it.  I finally put a tiny little filter on the end of the copper pick-up tube and solved all my problems.  The filter is of the type you would find in a chainsaw tank.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Not sure how I'd add a filter like that in my tank.  I'm sure I could figure out something.  It is strange that I have an in-line filter, but it does not seem to be doing the trick. 

pineywoods

Must be catching.  I ran the tank dry on my mill today. filled the tank, then the motor won't start or run without full choke. Pulled the top off the carb, bowl was dry, just a few specks of sawdust in the bottom. Disconnected fuel hose from carb, plenty of gas there. The Dang hole in the seat for the float needle was completely plugged. 100 psi air wouldn't touch it. Had to use my torch tip cleaner to open it up. I have a filter in the line just before the carb. It's one of them cheap plastic see-thru jobs with a paper filter element. Apparently that ain't good enuff. Any suggestions for a better filter ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

PW,probibly the best filter is the secondary filters they used on the old detroits if you have room to mount it, lasts along time even has a drain at the bottom.Those plastic see through in line filters are better than nothing but not much.Dry vs wet carb storage is the old debate,I believe the ethinol in the fuel and its water holding ability has tipped the scales to dry storage,but to each his own. I have even seen oilburner filters used but I don't think their as good.Frank C.

Captain

Insist on a 10 micron filter.  Many inline filters are as much as 60 microns.

We sell Kohler 24 050 13S inline filters almost exclusively for most applications.

Captain

slider

brdmkr , firecord probably called it right if it stumbled when you enguage the blade you have trash in the main jet . you can see it if you look close. i've had this happen to me on my old mill more than one time even with an inline filter.The problem went away when I switched to a cat diesel.  slider
al glenn

brdmkr

Quote from: slider on October 31, 2008, 07:23:10 AM
brdmkr , firecord probably called it right if it stumbled when you enguage the blade you have trash in the main jet . you can see it if you look close. i've had this happen to me on my old mill more than one time even with an inline filter.The problem went away when I switched to a cat diesel.  slider

I have thought about switching to a diesel as well.  I just think my wife might have other ideas!  I hope to get the mill running this evening.

bandmiller2

BM,usally the larger the filter the better,its important to have a sediment bowl or canister for water and rust to settle out.Wix makes a small in line filter #33046 1/8 in pipe thread one end outher barb I have one mounted on all my engines and tractors at the carb.The wix alone is not enough but it helps as a last resort.Don't overlook your air cleaner they always need more attention than they get.Oh use some sea foam additive it also has a stabilzer.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!