iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Record Sale!

Started by ARKANSAWYER, October 27, 2008, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Well I have reached a new mile stone in the sawing business.  I have sold many many boards over the years and have gotten some good prices on some.  But Saturday  while here at the  mill I had a man from Memphis stop by and purchased a board from me for the sum of $350.00.  It is a single plank of 5 1/2" X 20" X11' 8" of Hedge and will be a fire place mantel in a new home that is being built.  I really hate to see the thing leave and have often planed on using it my self if I had a house large enough for it.  But it is sold and cash in the bank and I just had to brag just a bit.
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

KOOL!  You're obviously tickled to get that for a single board, even though it's a biggun.  I bet he's grinning like a  Chessie Cat and telling everybody he knows about the bargain he got!  Everybody's a winner! :) 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

That reminds me of my friend sawmill owner.  I've told the story before, but he's known for his brief answers.

A fellow looked at a thick piece he had and asked, "how much for this piece of cypress, Dewy?

Dewy said, "a hundred and fifty dollars", or something to that effect.

The man said "Whooeee, that's a lot of money by the board foot, isn't it?"

Dewy said, "yep."

Bibbyman

He's probably telling everyone "Look at this big ol' board I got for just $350.00.  The hillbilly I got it from in Arkansas didn't even know what he had."   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bull

way to go Arky--- now if everyone would learn to hold out for the big prices, we could all get rich 8) :D

Larry

It takes just a pretty good size hedge tree to yield that size of cant...sorta hard to find...betcha its almost as hard to find as a buyer with $350 in his pocket.  Is that all the money he had on him Arkie? :D ;D :D

Saw this ad on craigslist yesterday.

1880's Hand Hewn White Oak Beam - $500 (Mena Arkansas)

His cant wasn't near as big. ;)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Larry on October 27, 2008, 04:58:10 PM
It takes just a pretty good size hedge tree to yield that size of cant...sorta hard to find...betcha its almost as hard to find as a buyer with $350 in his pocket.  Is that all the money he had on him Arkie? :D ;D :D

Saw this ad on craigslist yesterday.

1880's Hand Hewn White Oak Beam - $500 (Mena Arkansas)

His cant wasn't near as big. ;)

I better get busy.  I bet I could saw out an oak beam, hack the outside faces off with a broadax and then leave it out in the sun for 6 months and it woud look just the same as the one shown.  The fact that you can see the dark sap area tells me it could be a fake.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Not saying his white oak timber is not a real 1880's type timber but I found that old timbers had very narrow growth rings and thus had narrow sap wood.  Most trees grown around here the sap wood is less then an inch thick and about 10 to 15 rings per nch.   Most old trees I have sawn and old timbers I have messed with the rings were 20+ per inch and sap wood less then 1/2 inch.  Now they would have only hacked a tree large enough to make the size timber needed which accounts for the heart wood and sapwood in the timber.  My guess would be more from the 1940's
  My plank was milled in 2006 and the hedge came from Ill.  He may of had more money but I would like for the feller to come back and visit.  His plank is still here as he could not put it in the Catty.
ARKANSAWYER

scsmith42

Arky - that's FANTASTIC!  Congrats on the big sale.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

cheyenne

Way to go!!!!! I had a guy stop by a few weeks ago and told me he'd pay me 20 cents bf to cut his trees into lumber & I said O.K. but you buy the beer. POOFFED into a pink mist down the road.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

WDH

I just sold 30 BF of hedge for $120 to a guy in Seattle who wants to make fighting sticks out of it.  Incredible.   Apparently osage orange is highly sought after.  I wish that I had some more :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kcwoodbutcher

I just sold a cottonwood cant ( 11" x 11" x 6' ) for $350. Of course I had to hollow it out with a chain saw and build a framework for a French cleat inside it to get that price. It was for a mantle. Still, not bad for cottonwood.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

ARKANSAWYER

That is a great price for a piece of cotton wood.  If you need some more I can help you out  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

WH_Conley

Seein as how we are talkin about thick pieces I have a cherry to cut into 6" slabs. How much of them should be sealed?
Bill

woodmills1

way to go on the record sale(s)

but if this is turning into the bragging board :D

I just sold 260 bd ft of planed and edged spalted maple for $1820
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Cedarman

As I've learned sittin' in the coffee shop,  First "liar" ain't gotta chance, not the second or third. :D :D  So I'm keepin' quiet.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DanG

I'm just settin' here watching these prices go up, and thinkin' about that big ol' slab of pecan I got in the barn. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Banjo picker

How big is that slab and how much you gonna get for it??? ??? Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

pineywoods

Quote from: DanG on October 29, 2008, 09:49:06 AM
I'm just settin' here watching these prices go up, and thinkin' about that big ol' slab of pecan I got in the barn. ;D 8) 8)

Yeah, y'all are encouraging me to get off my duff and go saw up that big ole cherry I hauled in last week  (4 good 8 ft cuts before the first limb)  8) 8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

Quote from: DanG on October 29, 2008, 09:49:06 AM

yeah, i'm thinkin about a big pecan blowdown up the road...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 29, 2008, 10:11:45 AM
How big is that slab and how much you gonna get for it??? ??? Tim

It's about this big right here.

A little over 3" thick, 9 feet long and 42" wide at widest point.  Ain't really thought of selling it, but if somebody has a really weak moment while gazing at it, ya never know. ;)

Banjo picker

All kind of possibilities on that... bench, table, bar....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodmills1

and I have been sitting on, and moving that spalted maple for 14 years.  Not a big slab betta wassa bigga check.  since due reporting to IRS is my first priority I will scan and copy check next time, as nowa lyin be aloowed around hea'a
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

I just had to brag a bit on that sale.  But if'n you got a good sale like that then by all means post it here.  It is good to see what others are a doing.  May give others a starting point on their sales.
  Now DanG you ought to let me hold that slab for a spell.
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

woodmills1

I cut those DanG dirty buried maple and birch almost 12 years ago and bet I moved them 6 times.  It like the denim pine, ain't no good less you get the premium customer.  Yet, when he comes walkin in sayin "I wants something different" you don't feel so bad having moved a whack that your friends say, "why ya workin on that stuff", again.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Top job Arky  ;) ;D ;D ;D and he left without the timber  ??? you could say to him when he comes back to pick it up No that was just the deposit  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D

Bibby the way I age timber is cut it and and just dump it in the mud in the logyard drive over it for 4 to 8 weeks remove and pressure wash Job Done

The best price Ive gotten was for a semi load of recycled Ironbark 12x12 x 12' to 24's 50 of at $1620 au ea for a 24' it took most of our best logs at the time tho $81000 for 4 days work and the logs cost my boss at the time $22000 log costs nowonder we got the mill paid of in under 12 months  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WIwoodworker

Nice sale Arky! I think you both made out great. He picked up a nice piece of hedge for about $3.50bf which is a pretty reasonable price when you consider it's 20" wide.
Peterson 9" WPF

Cedarman

WIwoodworker, if he picked that piece of hedge up, he is one heck of a man. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WIwoodworker

Prolly only 300 lbs or so. Who can't do that? :D
Peterson 9" WPF

artenvielfalt

Well guys, i don´t know if the prices vary so much over the ocean, but i guess it was a good sale and as i think of my little,..... sales, 
i think everybody is happy on that one you and your customer too. 
i had a thing like that too. i cut for a friend 10" by 10" blocks for putting sculptures on top, so i cut a good size beech for that, then i had another beech lying aroung and it was spalted very much ,not worth cutting,...... BUT then decided to do it anyway and and did 10x10 and cut it in different size ba chainsaw and plained it in the shop,...looked quite nice i thought and some other people too.
they payed me for a piece 10x10x10     40€  that whole tree cost me about, let me lie, less then 20€ and i have about 25 blocks of different size out of it.  you only have to find someone who likes the board or block you have,...
another good deal i have is the metall industrie close by, they need for packing small boards 80mm x 23mm 630mm that is ....waste pieces and pay 35 ct € for one.  so now i cut the top of the trees even if it is a very short one into 80mm x 23mm boards and make profit out of [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better].  they even take spaleted or eaten by insects or stained boards, so after cutting i have a cheap helper and he cuts the 630mm boards and stacks them for me. 
try to find more ways of gettingrid of the wood.  here in germany i have people come to take my waste for firewood and pick it up themselves so i get my yard clean and get payed for it,... good deal.
cheers Ulf

Thank You Sponsors!