iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw license?

Started by marc, July 28, 2001, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

I was told I should get my chainsaw license, what are some advantages of getting it I mean should I fork out $90 for nothing?

Jeff

This is interesting, I never heard of such a thing in Michigan.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I haven`t heard of that either, could it be just a course in handling a chainsaw?

marc

I live in Ontario Canada and up here you can get a license to operate a chain saw.

Ron Scott

What is required to obtain it and what are the advantages of having it? Do you have to take a test and are only those hired that have a license?

Does the government require and regulate it or is it just a nice thing to have?
~Ron

marc

You have to go to a day long course and at the end you right a test. the government dose require and regulate it . I work for a large construction company and they want me to get mine. But I already use a chainsaw there so I don't know if it would be worth the $90 to go and get it.

Jeff

I would be surprised that at 16 you would be even eligible to take the course. In Michigan you would not be allowed to work with that sort of equipment  until you were 18.

Kevin is from Ontario also. And so is Bill Johnson. He will probably give us the low down on this if he gets on this week.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I just wrote the Ontario Ministry of Labour asking them about legislation regarding private and commercial use of chainsaws  in the province of Ontario.
Should have something in a day or two.

Tom

It's amazing, the things a Gov. can come up with to help keep the coffers filled.  Usually under the pretext of protecting you from yourself.

CharlieJ

Amazing- do you have to be licensed to run a weedeater to. how about a cordless drill.. :D

Bill Johnson

Kevin

Marc might be talking about the training program that most fellers working for industry have to take before they can work in the bush.

I think it goes hand in hand with the skidder operator training.

I don't know if it is a legal requirement, I'll wait to see what MOL sends you

Bill

Kevin

Hi Bill;
I spoke with my boss and he said there is some kind of certification for the commercial use of a saw , some of our guys have been certified but I think it`s primarily for workman compensation.

Bill Johnson

Here's a little blurb I found on the OFSWA website.

Cutter/Skidder Operator Certification Program

Designed for those persons in the forest industry engaged in logging operations.
According to the Ministry of Labour a logging operation is considered to exist where the principal activity is felling and skidding of trees for industrial and commercial purposes.

For more information check out the website at
www.ofswa.on.ca    click on the information tab and scroll down to cut and skid, there are a bunch of frequently asked questions that should put a little light on the subject.

Bill

Kevin

Subject:
       RE: Chainsaws
   Date:
       Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:16:21 -0400
       "webohs (MOL)" <webohs@mol.gov.on.ca>
    To:
       "'kvn.rob@sympatico.ca'" <kvn.rob@sympatico.ca>

There is no licence rrequired to operate a chainsaw under the OHSA in
Ontario. If you are going to be using it in a Logging Operation you are
required to have training and certification of the training as per sections
104 & 105 of the Regulation for Industrial Establishments (below). If you
are using the saw in any other workplace enviroment you are requitred to be
trained in the safe use, handling and maintenance of the equipment as
required by the Act. More information can be found on the web at:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca

104.  Every employer who undertakes logging operations shall establish and
maintain, as may be required to enable its workers to comply with section

(a)     the training program called "The Cutter Program" established
by the Ministry of Skills Development as program number P750010; and

(b)     the training program called "The Skidder Operator Program"
established by the Ministry of Skills Development as program number P750020.
R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 851, s. 104.

105.  (1)  Every worker employed in a logging operation shall take
the program referred to in section 104 that is most appropriate for the
duties of the worker.

(2)  A worker's training under this section shall be completed
within one year after the day the worker becomes employed in a logging
operation.  R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 851, s. 105.

Murray Baker
Occupational Health and Safety Branch
Ministry of Labour
webohs@mol.gov.on.ca

-----Original Message-----
Sent: August 3, 2001 3:01 PM
To: webohs (MOL)
Subject: FW: Chainsaws

-----Original Message-----
From: nssweb8@govonca3.gov.on.ca [mailto:nssweb8@govonca3.gov.on.ca]
Sent: July 29, 2001 12:22 PM
To: webmin@mol.gov.on.ca
Subject: Chainsaws

Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
 () on Sunday, July 29, 2001 at 12:21:29

Frank_Pender

It is also going into such areas as general employment.   A friend of mine had to pay $15 just to fill out an application to go to work for the local county government accounting office.   :-/
Frank Pender

timberjack240

i live in pa and i havent heard of this at all. i was fifteen when i started running a saw and im sixteen now. i hope i dont have to pay 90 bucks to get a permit to run a saw. really i dont see the piont in it because its a saw. sure they are dangerous but paying 90$ to run a saw when its your job.

Kevin

Here it's a certification certificate for people using a saw and getting paid for it.
For home owners it's not a requirement.

leweee

Obtained my certificate as  a "chainsaw  &  skidder operator"  in  96 ;D MOL course  required so employer can get Workman's  Compensation for employees. Same price then + all the required PPE :o One  Day of class room  instruction,2 Days of field work ,no written test. Instuctor was a self employed saw filer that ran a small shop in Timmins. I don't think he ran a chainsaw much if at all himself. If you showed up you passed. :o Needless to say  I was UNDERWHELMED ::)  Bureaucracy at its finest ::)

ps. MOL loop holes ....If self employed with no employees you don't need it., or your job classification doesn't contain the words "chainsaw operator" you don't need a certificate.  Now  Imagine that :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

KiwiCharlie

Hi Guys,
Sounds like the same thing we have here in NZ.  If you are working for a company using chainsaws (or want to get work with one of these co's) then they like you to do the OSH (Occupational Health and Safety) approved chainsaw course.  I dont think you get a licence as such, but for Accident levys waged on companies, I think it lowers that cost for them.  Like where Im working now, I have the official Forkhoist licence on my drivers licence, but have to have a current OSH approved forkhoist safety licence too, or no one wants to know me! <<<to the strains of ABBA>>>  Money, Money, Money.......!  ;)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
if it lowered the employers ACC rates then the employers should be paying for there workers to get it  ..sounds like a desk boys idea to make more paper work .. as long as it's not a staged /steped program  IE only you can use 40 cc and 12 inch bar for 6 months  then up 72 cc 20 inch bar  for another 6 months  but no passengers  and only during daylight hours   ;) and must be overseen by a skilled chainsaw user  with at least 10 years full license  ;D  it's a hard call if it was going to stop you from getting a job than it would be worth it  ,if it had no efect on getting a job then maybe it could be part of the crews  safety program  
unless homeusers have to do the same course  it will not lower the accidents  that happen
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

tony_marks

i am anti govt controll,on most everything.. but i see homeowners doing some really dangerouse stuff.. i  watched the progress of an homeowner felling a tree beside his mobile home.he left it up one nite in a state that looked like a strong wind would take it dn..
 his reason i think was that he got tired of working on it that day..
 he got lucky ,but he didnt have a clue as to where that tree was gonna fall..now that man didnt have any buisines operating a saw ,if he didnt have any better sense than that..the worst part is now he thinks he knows what hes doing.. next he will be doing  his neighbors trees..
   of course they got a splitlevel home..
  think i ll stop an chat with the neighbor. mabe i can slip a warning into our conversing. otherwise ,its just a matter of time..jmo
 ps i dont know none of these people or id get more involved.. just been watching as i drove by..
 around here you stay outa folks buisiness,best u can..
  but yes id support required training for beginners..
  dang i hate to say that.. :(

Varmintmist

Sounds like a standard OSHA type training. Basicly BS, but you gotta have. I have a forklift one, airal lift device (bucket truck). I even had some for tow tractors when I was in the military to drag planes around. It was a OSHA req even there if I remember right. (been a while)  :) could have been a base req. but I think the card said OSHA.

If you can get one for 90 bucks and it makes you more valuble to your current employer or another employer, get it. You never know what job might be your next. If you have the cert. and the other guy doesnt, you probably will get the job. Same goes with a raise.

I personally would LIKE to go to a REAL felling course. I am not a pro and basicly only manage my woodlot. I fell pretty well, but I have never been taught the right way. It goes down but isnt always pretty  :o I look at books and the internet and they are fine, but I have always been a hands on kind of guy. I like to do things right and as safe as I can. I was told that the tree farm program in PA runs some schools but have yet to locate them.

IndyIan

Hi Marc,
I think the official name is "chainsaw operator certificate".  I'm a bit surprised you can get it in one day.  As I understand it you should take this course if you use a saw occaisionally, the cutter/skidder course is for arborists and loggers.  

When I took mine it was about 8 hrs in the classroom taking apart your saw, learning to hand file and learning basic felling theory and then 2 days in the woods practising with supervision.  They make you buy all the gear and its the best thing I could do to learn how to saw safely.  My partner also took it with me and although she doesn't cut much she can handfile the chain better than me ;D  Happiness is when your girl hands you a gassed up sharp saw! 8)

I would take the course even just to brush up on your technique and I know my local townships require any of their guys using a saw to have this certificate.  Take it through your local college as well if you have a choice.  They should have good instructors.

Ian

lucky_cutter

When I first started cutting a chainsaw class was unheard of. That was considered on the job training.if you fell into the right crew of guys that knew what they were doing and willing to teach..Great. If you fell into another group that were less skilled and more macho.. Well... If you survived you would have some stories to tell. I think $ 90.00 is a lot cheaper than an emergency room visit. I began with a lot of bad, wrong and down right dangerous information. I was also lucky enough to run into a few experienced and caring people that were willing to enlighten me.

A class and certificate could be useful for people just starting out.Though I doubt it would be of much use to a seasoned veteran. The class needs to have a clear set of minimum standards and be universal so everyone that goes to class has the same general information. The class should be done through a community college and the govt should have little or nothing to do with it. I also do not think the class should be manditory.

It is only a matter of time befor laywers give up in the gun industry and look for something new to litigate..ie justify their existance and bloated saleries. It would be a dark day when a laywer goes to a chainsaw salesman, points to a saw and says, " How could you sell that dangerous and deadly weapon to an unsuspecting consumer? You are negligent and must be held accountable for the injuries and deaths caused by the saws you sold."

I hope this remains science fiction, but when laywers smell a buck they will circle the saw industry.

More knowledge...Less Darwin awards.

Stephen_Wiley

Unfortunately, this will or probably already is being discussed for additional revenue purposes and speared by the insurance industries.

Like many of their 'other' recent regulatory commissions. It will be managed to the basic knowledge and will not have the ability to enforce any safe practices. Thus the certificate will soon be a money grab and a manipulator to impose other government and insurance backed certificates for running portable sawmills in which 'goods' are sold for public use.

Volunteer classes taught at community colleges or through trade associations, would certainly be welcomed by employers.  But I will make it clear a government/insurace backed mandatory course will do nothing to change character traits of an ill conscience operator  >:(
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!