iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally doing something with wood I've milled.

Started by zopi, October 23, 2008, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Sawed out the joists the other day, and raided my stash for sub floor for my 100 year old smokehouse.

A friend of mine in construction gave me several hundred square feet of clear pine T&G flooring and some concrete decking for the roof..the building is 12X12, ought to make a nice tight little workshop...I need to find a little pot belly stove for it though.

I'll eventually put a lean two on two sides of it...wifey wants one for an outdoor canning kitchen.

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

On the subject of woodstoves in workshops, don't they dry the air a lot? Would putting a little pot of water on top of them help get a little moisture back?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

zopi

yep, It's a good idea to keep a pot on..we live in an old house with wood heat...we keep a pot on top
of the stove to keep the woodwork from getting too dry..

There are alot of variables though..how wet is the atmosphere, how big is the shop, how tight is the shop building..how much wood is stored there? Is is greater concern to keep machinery dry, or keep wood from drying out...what kind of finish work is done in the shop?

but in general, i like a pot on the stove..besides, I drink alot of coffee.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

I have an old woodstove that I'm probably gonna put in my shop soon. It's about 30x30. I'm hoping it'll keep it somewhat warm. I'll have to see how dry it gets, I'm hoping to keep it so that the wood doesn't dry out too much, but keeping my tools from rusting. Either way, it should be better than being unheated like it is now. (although right now I occasionally use a forced-air kerosene heater).

You're smokehouse-turned-workshop sounds like a neat project. Pictures?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LeeB

30 x 30 is a fair sized stove ifn it's tall enough. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

We always keep 2 buckets of water on the woodstove at the cabin. It's free warm water for coco or to help save you from heating it up on the gas stove when you need wash water. No hot running water in the cabin. It still gets pretty dry but it helps a little.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tyb525

sawmilllawyer

Wow; If the stove is that big, then how big is the shop? 3000' x 3000' ?
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

tyb525

I meant the shop was 30x30, in case you didn't catch that.  :)

zopi

My next door neighbor is building a 35x40 shop building, and offered me hs certified drawings...my wife said no.

Because she wants a 45x60....wish I had the $$ to pull that off anytime soon.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Zopi,if you can swing it insulate your shop,two reasons first easier to heat, more important it will help keep condensation off your tools when the weather changes.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: zopi on October 24, 2008, 07:53:56 PM
My next door neighbor is building a 35x40 shop building, and offered me hs certified drawings...my wife said no.

Because she wants a 45x60....wish I had the $$ to pull that off anytime soon.

Go one better... Use the plans, but build two of them butted together, omit the common wall, wind up with 40X70...

zopi

won't work...the drawings are for the bureauRats at the county...gotta be eggzact.

I hates me some bureauRats.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

I got alot done today...ripped the front off the building, replaced most of the studs (partnered them)
and started putting up furring for the vertical siding...started raining on me so I ducked inside and nailed down the subfloor and started laying the T&G pine floor...that's gonna be a sexy floor...wifey cut loose and got me a couple cans of red mahogany stain and some floor urethane...

I'll get out in the morning and put the siding on the front before we go off to Busch Gardens for the last day of the season.

hint to the wise...2" nails don't work well with 2x4's....doh...hadda go to the lumberyahd..3-1/4 much better.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

oh...and air nailers rock..I may never swing a hammer again.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

Last summer I helped my dad build an addition on to our house, and we used air nailers for everything. We wouldnt have got it done near as fast without them. I've yet to try a screw-gun. I wonder what they are like.

zopi

I've got a screw gun...for doing sheet rock....they are awesome!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bck

I had a wood heater one time that was at least 30x30 and if you were 10 feet away you were cold  :D   For a few years I had my shop in a 50x90 brick building that wasnt insulated. Dont miss it at all.

DanG

Quote from: zopi on October 25, 2008, 11:45:14 PM

You got it Zopi!  A little tip for ya:  I have a 10 gallon air tank, and it will shoot about 60-80 nails through my DeWalt framing nailer.  It's real handy when you're away from power/compressor. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Quote from: DanG on October 26, 2008, 12:46:12 AM

You got it Zopi!  A little tip for ya:  I have a 10 gallon air tank, and it will shoot about 60-80 nails through my DeWalt framing nailer.  It's real handy when you're away from power/compressor. ;D

Go ya one better...I've got a 16ft trailer, about four compressors, buttoads of hose and extension cords and a generator...<GRIN>

Overkill....call it a hobby...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Air tool tip,if you need a long air line or want to use a big tool like a 3/4 impact to break something loose,have a tank with an unrestricted valve near the tool.Gives you a burst of air with good volume tank replenishes during down time.The tank also doubles as portable air to fill tires and blowoff sawdust. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tyb525

I have a 25 gal air compressor tank on wheels, without the air compressor, so that it is easy to move around. There are 2 valves. Like bandmiller said, its good for a mid-line boost, and as a portable air tank when you need a little more air.

SamB

Quote from: zopi on October 25, 2008, 11:45:14 PM
Air nailers can save alot of time in constuction  and wages if you're paying for help, but they can also put you on the disabled list if you get careless. So be carefull !!! Personally I haven't been injured, but have some buddies who've had some serious down time due to air nailer miscues.

zopi

I got the front wall roughed in this morning before we left, and part of the siding up, hopefully I will finish the siding tomorrow, at least on that wall...

Mt neighbor was looking at some flitches i had laid out to rip into furring battens and was all agog at how pretty the lumber was..so when I started pulling out 18" cypress boards 16 ft long to rip in half for the siding boards he was kind of blown away...what did he think I was doing with a sawmill?
Making chopsticks?

Oh..going to go with dark barn red and white trim...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

submarinesailor

Ok, Ok OK,  WHERE are the pictures?????????  The Senior Chief wants some pictures!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;D

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!