iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Earthquakes in Oklahoma

Started by GF, October 23, 2008, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Thought I would never feel earthquakes in Oklahoma.  I woke up in the middle of the night from sleeping to large sounds in the ground and feeling the house shake from the foundation up and doors rattle.  On Oct 21 they recorded 9 earthquakes in my area, we had several that afternoon, my wife called me at work and said I need to come home, that it felt like someone ran into the house, the house shook and the items on the wall shook.  The Geological survey sadi the first ones were around a 3.2, they are still working on the graphs for the others. 

Two woke me up last night, and my Dad called to say they had one that shook the house and rattled the doors this afternoon.  The Geological Survey said there were three today and the epicenter is near me.  They have confirmed them as earthquakes and not any type of ground fracturing of any type.

Two of them I actually heard the rocks shift deep in the ground and could hear the sound coming from the epicenter at a high rate of speed, its definitly different.  There has already been around 14-16 since tuesday morning around 1:00 am.

The worst part is that I got a copy of my house policy on the 21st in the mail and was looking at, one of the options that caught my eye was earthquake insurance option, I asked my wife why would you need earthquake insurance in Oklahoma, and then to be woke up that same night by something I had never felt in my life.   People within several miles around are hearing and feeling them also.

Guess its a kind reminder from mother nature who actually still has control of the world.

GF

Warbird

Lots os small earthquakes is good.  That is pressure being relieved in a safe manner.  It's when that pressure isn't let off a little at a time that things get dangerous.  I went through a 7.9 up here a few years ago.  Any time the earth quakes, little or small, it is a definite wake up call.  Glad you guys are handling it all right.  :)

okmulch

GF

I did not hear or see anything on the news here in Stillwater about them. Of course I could have missed  it on the news I tend to focus on the weather more than anything.
I guess since they were so small we did not feel them in Stillwater.
Hope there was no damage to anything and all is well. :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

ely

maybe gary failed to mention that he has been making wine and they have been sampling pretty heavy here lately. :D

i am just funnin ya, in the past we have felt a few  minor ones here in the SE part.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

okie

I live in Locust Grove; didnt feel a thing. Where did this take place?
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

js2743

GF

Had a couple of more last night.   Talked to the geolical seismo graph people who report these for Oklahoma that is located in Tulsa and the main seismoligist was kileed in a car accident a couple of months ago so they are trying to get all the info together.  They said the news channels had been contacting them but they have not released any info since they are still putting everything and trying to locate the exact epicenter.  Below is the chart from the seismographs from Tulsa for the one that happened at 12:45 yesterday. Its just a different feeling not ever feeling an earthquake. They are still also determining the strength of the others.

okmulch, Everything is fine and no reports of damage as of yet from anyone.

Okie,  The loaction is NE of Oklahoma City about 18 miles in that area.

beenthere

Those aren't just oil geoligists exploring or loosening up underground oil and gas deposits?

;D ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GF

beenthere, 

I asked them that question.  They have drilled about 14 natural gas wells about 7 mile from where I live.  These 14 wells are in a about 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 mile area, some well are about 300yards apart.  I thought they maybe doing some kind of fracturing but they said they do not do the fracturing that close together.  I still think they are pulling so much natural gas out of the ground that its casuing things to shift below the surface.  Anytime you remove something from underground something settles.

TexasTimbers

I was discussing fault lines in the US with my MIL about a month ago, and sent her several sites. One shows all the latest earthquakes There are hundreds a day worldwide, and dozens daily right here in the US. Hope y'all don't get a big one. Been in quite a few in Japan, none major but as few big enough to rattle your cage. It's a feeling you can't describe to someone who hadn't felt it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

GF

Its friday night and we had a pretty hard one at 9:57 pm.  I called my contact at the Geological survey center in Tulsa that monitors them to let them know.  She was out camping just south of Tulsa and prior to me calling her right afer it happened they were wondering why the horses were going crazy, then I called and she already new.  Tulsa is about 60 miles from me.  She said the animals can sense these when people cant.  I the dogs in the neighborhood were going crazy.  I hit pretty hard, shaking the house and the hutch on my sons desk.  People around several miles felt it.

TexasTimbers

The Memphis fault (has a different name I forget it) that runs from the Memphis area up to St. Louis I believe is due within the next day to 100 years or so. We have one south of us about 50 miles that's due also. Was one of the biggest ones on our continent around 500 years ago. New York sits on one as well I think.

Have you had any since your last post?

GF

Had a small one today at 4:20, it just vibrated the floor a little.  The state USGS out of Tulsa lost there 40 year veteran seismologist in August to a car accident.   They said he had all the system encrypted and password protected, the people working there are working on getting into the systems and they are having hard time.  Hopefully they start releasing some info to the media, they have given all the charts to the federal USGS to look over them to get a second opinion.  Hope to here something before long.  I talked to the county sheriff yesterday and they got a alot of calls into 911 abotu them.  It seems like the news would be more on this to get some information, but apparently they are waiting on the USGS.

They say earthquakes are normal in Oklahoma, but having som many in one area is not normal.  They said they evenutally should go away and there shouldnt be any large ones.  My concern is they dont know why we are having som many and so far have no explanation, so I hope so large one does not just show up.  I talked to a person today and he heard and felt the one we had on friday night and he lives about 25 miles away.

OneWithWood

TT, I believe you are referring to the New Madrid fault.  A real monster that will do untold damage to the midwest when it lets go. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

yeah the New Madrid. I saw a special on it some months back. They have been repairing bridges and retrofitting them with earthquake-resistant engineering for about the past 4 or 5 years I think they said, in hopes that one or more might survive. They said the whole area is apt to be leveled, and none of the bridges are likely to survive but they are making a feeble attempt anyway. Widespread devastation and mucho muarte to the peeps. Another thing to put on Tom's List of Worries.

Probably will let go about the time we are all getting around in aircars powered by micro nook-yah-leer reactors, when all of the bridges have long since been recycled into tin cans for snow peas. ;D

GF

Had another at 4:07 this morning, caused the house to shake, and I woke to a bed like someone was shaking it hard as they could.  Called several people around me and they woke to their beds shaking like mine also.  If there was not a fault where I am at now, I would almost say their is one now.

Tornadoes aren't to bad you have advanced warning, these things you hear a large rumble in the ground and everything shakes within a second.

beenthere

GF
Seen any large cracks opening up?  either in the ground or the highways?

As long as your neighbors feel it too, then it may mean you are not sitting on top of it.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin

Warbird

How big are these quakes. GF?  Here are a few pics of that 7.9 quake we had in Alaska quite a few years ago.  These pics were taken on the main road connecting Fairbanks to Anchorage.  If memory serves, they were 100 to 150 miles outside of Fairbanks.

A few homes in the outlying areas took bad hits but we were mainly okay here in Fairbanks.  It got really scary because it lasted so long.  It shook hard for over 30 seconds.

Again, many small quakes is very much preferable to the alternative, that being 1 huge one with large aftershocks.  You do get used to them after a while.

GF

No visable damage yet, the one that occured at 4:07 they said was a 2.8 which is small so must have been about on top it it or pretty close.  I went to work at 5:00, and got a call at 6:30 and they said had another and it was worse than the 4:07 one.   There was another lighter one about 7:40 said it just vibrated the floor. 

Warbird

2.8?  Wow.  Those must be *very* shallow for you to be feeling them that much.  Have they told you what depth the epicenter has been at?  One good thing is that they are being felt large distances away.  Much more likely to be an actual earthquake, as opposed to the military doing any testing or anything like that.

GF

Warbird,  the people they have reading the graphs dont even know how to update the images on their website with the new data since the veteran died in a car accident, they are asking me how.  In all honesty I think they are guessing at the 2.8 and the epicenter.   I could hear the rocks shift from SW of me and the rumble though the ground coming from that direction (only a second or two), and they are saying the epicenter is NE of me a couple of miles.  The directions they gave me from two towns is not even possible since the directions were both east,west and no north south from either town.  Anyway I put earthquake insurance on my structures effective this morning, its only $31 a year.  Others have called in yesterday and today doing the same.  Figure in a year or so I could drop it off, at least I will sleep better knowing if something happens its covered.  I have everything paid off and sure wouldnt want to start over again.

GF

Below are the date and times of the occurances for my area, it does not list some of the light ones.

Earthquake information:  All original times are in UTC/GMT    15 total
> so far.
>
> Oct. 21 2008
> Station D378D0
> LEONARD Vault
> 05:15:00  or 12:15 AM CT
>
> 05:33:31  or  12:33:31 AM CT
>
> 05:55:40  or   12:55:40 AM CT
>
> 06:02:17   or 1:02:17 AM CT
>
> 06:43:45   or 1:43:45 AM CT
>
> 09:29:35   or 4:29:35 AM CT
>
> 14:12:15  or 9:12:15  AM CT
>
> 17:41:20  or 12:41:20 PM CT
>
> 19:05:39  or 2:05:39 PM CT
>
>
> Oct 23 2008
> 05:50   or 12:50 AM CT
>
> 17:45   or 12:45 PM CT
>
>
> Oct 24 2008
>
> 23:47  or  6:47 PM CT
>
>
> Oct 25 2008
>
> 21:24:30    or 4:24:30 PM CT
>
>
> Oct 28 2008
>
> 09:07:11   or 4:07:11 AM CT
>
> 11:33:40    or 6:33:40 AM CT

Larry

The guy at the lumber yard thought I was nuts when I asked for them new earthquake nails to hold our house together...had to order online.  Send us just a little tremor so's I can get even with him.

Earthquake nails

Well I suppose you can also use em for hurricanes. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Warbird

Just to clarify, they are measuring on the Richter magnitude scale, right?  What you describe sounds way more powerful than a 2.8.  Or it is the most shallow quake I have ever heard of.

Thank You Sponsors!