iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First nail

Started by woody1, October 22, 2008, 07:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Everything was going so good. Cutting sasifrass and cherry. My wife was off-bearing, everything was going ABCDEFG and then I saw a spark and another. The next cut the blade went limp and started rubbing the guide. It was getting dark anyway, so I'll just come home and watch the game. I will say, I've cut alot of wood so far, and this is the first hardware.  Just wanted to vent.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

zopi

yah...I was zzipping off some 2x6 earlier today and skinned the top of one of my dogs...didn't do much to the blade but knock the set out of a couple teeth and make the blade sing funny...it was already dull anyhow...needed an excuse to change it.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

pigman

Woody1,  That is a very strange story. I am not saying I don't believe it, just that it sounds kind of unusual  Hitting the nail is common, but having the wife off-bearing is not something that happens very often. :o ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woody1

There are a few of us lucky sawyers on here. She like doing it and I like having her there ! ;) ;)

customsawyer

Mine does it 5 days a week. Of course I have to pay her then I have to pay her again but that is all in the price of sawmilling. If you ask Dang or WDH they would tell you I got a bargin. I tend to agree.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

and then there is Bibby and the head sawyer at his place.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Quote from: customsawyer on October 22, 2008, 08:03:18 PM
If you ask Dang or WDH they would tell you I got a bargin.

DanG right ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

My wife does 90% of the off-bearing.

It's great having her at the sawmill all day.

I feel very lucky having a wife who wants to be with me 24-7!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Woody, I wish I could tell you thats the last tramp your going to hit,but that would trash the little respectability I have now.Depending how you hit them nails are not the end of the world,hit at right angle 16d and under not bad.Run upon parallel they mess up your set on one side.RRspikes,insulators, fence hardware,barbed wire,and drywall screws bad[ask Pineywoods].Nails if not too bad check for metal burr stuck to the face of the tooth flip it off with your jack knife straighten bent teeth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

If your saw went limp and moved over to the guides, you have taken the corners off of the log side of the saw.  Your saw started to cut out, due to one side of the tooth being longer than the other side, and that opened up your saw and heated it up down around the eye.  The heat caused it to get limp.

It may only be a few of the teeth that have lost the corners.  You'll have to swage the tooth out or change them.  Swaging is a quick fix if there isn't too much steel that's lost.  Use the spider gauge to get your corners even.

Was this one of your logs, or are you cutting someone else's?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

Ron..You are dead on, of course.  ;D. I resharpened and used your spider gauge at noon today. A couple of the teeth are cornerless. I am going to try my hand at swaging this weekend. I have new bits, but I want to play with this and see how it comes out. The logs were a deal with a guy who had a bunch of firewood right along the road. I didn't need it , but he said take all you want..Ok. Well, he need a few logs cut, What abunch of junk. Two t-tag loads of junk. But, a deals a deal. I an about done with them. I told Hunny " If I can cut this, I can cut anything". I'll get a picture of it tommorrow and post it. you won't believe it.
Woody

Ron Wenrich

Just remember that you want to swage from the center of the bit, not the corners.  If you swage on the corners, they'll just break off.

woody1

I think I need aroad trip for some schoolin'.  :P :P

bandmiller2

Sorry woody,I thought you were talking band blade.I'am no authority on swageing but I know you must have a sharp edge to swage a dull blunt tooth takes too much force which is hard on the saws shoulders.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 23, 2008, 06:56:01 PM
Just remember that you want to swage from the center of the bit, not the corners.  If you swage on the corners, they'll just break off.

I swaged corners for years and it served me well, unless I don't understand the term. :)  I struck the swedge twice per tooth. sliding it from one side of the toot hto the other for the alternating strikes. I have a link somewhere to how I did it. I'll see if I can find it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Ron Wenrich

The swage should be used by spreading the steel from the middle of the tooth outwards.  I have seen lots of guys use that method and had used that when I first started.  After I started to swage from the center of the tooth, they held up better.

That's not to say that you can't swage your corners.  But, that makes the steel thin.  The corners is what does all the cutting, so you want it as heavy as possible.

Jeff

Maybe I got away with it because we sawed only exclusively debarked logs?  In fact, the mill shut down whenever the debarker happen to brake down as you couldn't get logs past it.

DanG

I don't know anything about Aspen, but that may have been a factor as well.  A steady diet of Hickory might have made a difference.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woody1

Thanks Jeff and Ron. ;)

Captain

.................Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the circle mill talk keep it up please............. ;D

Captain

Jeff

Quote from: DanG on October 24, 2008, 12:11:40 PM
I don't know anything about Aspen, but that may have been a factor as well.  A steady diet of Hickory might have made a difference.

I sawed a high % of aspen, but also sawed red oak, white oak, sugar maple, beech, hickory and other dense hardwoods on a regular basis. A steady diet if you will, but feasting on aspen.  :)

woody1

I love cutting cherry. We have been cutting some walnut, but it smell gets to me.
Jeff I wish I could see your swaging technique better.
Woody

zopi

I thought I had never hit a nail...I laid out a 1x6 I had cut for some sub-flooring...1 nail sheared
perfectly flush in the board...but no damage to the blade..it's the one I skimmed the top of the dog
with, and the only damage to it was a couple teeth out of set.  Wierd.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ron Wenrich

The corner to corner method of swaging is simply put the swage over to the right as far as you can and hit it.  Then move to the left as far as you can and hit it.  It takes that "U" shape of the swage right on the corners.  You can flare them out pretty well.  It also wears out the edges of the swage.  Then you have to flip the swage over and square it off.

Thank You Sponsors!