iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

delimber gate

Started by redneck logger, October 19, 2008, 01:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck logger

I saw a delimber gate on a website and i was just wondering what there used for.
got to love working in the woods

Tom

They are made from heavy metal and you stand them up between two trees at a landing and chain them there.  Then, when you come in with a skidder load of pulp trees (pines), you back the load into the Delimber Gate.  The trunks will go through the holes/mesh of the gate, but the limbs won't.  They get ripped from the trunk.

There are some skidder operators who will back a load (twitch) of trees on their skidder into standing timber to take the limbs off down in the woods.  It's not a good practice, unless clear cutting, if even then, because it damages standing timber.

The delimber gate is a Yesterday's Generation of the mechanical delimber's today.

twobears

yep,its used for delimbing like tom said.i,ve never used a gate but,i do back hitchs up thur brush. the first thing i do is find the right location on my main trail.you need a large tree that you plan on cutting down later at that tree put a 90 degree turn in your trail.you pull the hitch around that tree and then back it thur the brush behind you.when,it,s cold out the limbs pop right off.if you pick the right spot it won,t hurt a thing and works very well.

delbert

semologger

I use one everyday I would be lost without it. I cut all pine. Strips them off to nothing. We made ours out of 4 inch pipe. We also use a delimber on our loader to top off the tips and take what limbs are left. I am cutting 18 year old loblolly and i back 10 trees or so thru at a time. It helps to have a good size skidder also.

The last one is how clean it makes them i took a saw and cut the tips off in no time at all. Some times its faster to take a saw than to use the loader to cut em off.

Thank You Sponsors!