iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making your own chain

Started by Good Feller, October 22, 2008, 01:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I'm trying to make my own chain with a punch and spinner I purchased from Baileys.  The only part I'm nervous about is spinning the rivet.  I'm having visions of the chain flying apart once I start up the saw.  How do you do it and how do you know that you've done it right to prevent an injury???  Thanks
Good Feller

kelLOGg

I used to make my own chains for many years by pounding the rivets on a small anvil. Maybe I was lucky but I never had a chain come apart and I made many. I would pound them until they flared out as much as the other ones and check frequently that I had not pounded so much to bind the link's hinge action. With proper equipment it should be even more assuring that you've done it right.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Rocky_J

When I first started spinning my chains, I would spin and spin and spin while pressing in the rivet verrrrrrry slowly. I thought I was being 'careful' but I was doing it wrong. You need to press quickly while giving the spinner a few turns to flare out the head, otherwise the rivet will not swell up tight in the hole in the side plate.

I've been spinning all my own chains for about 3-4 years now and none have failed yet.

Al_Smith

A little tip ,put a drop of oil on the rivet head before you spin it .

My spinner only has  the anvil to do 3/8" and .404  which are my common two sizes .The ones that I rarely use such as 1/2" .325 and 3/8 " lo pro I peen using a set of concave punchs I made from grade 8 bolts .

The punch will form a rivet head as nicely as the spinner but takes some learning to get the end results to a perfection .I too have never had a rivet fail .

bandmiller2

Good Feller,be sure you don't spin too much it tends to bind the link,as stated a little lube on the rivet helps.Chain coming apart is not a big problem I have reused pressed out links and respun them with no problems, when I've had to.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I don't have a chain breaker .I just grind the rivet heads off with a die grinder so there is no reusing of the rivets .

It takes a little practice on the spinner to get that hang of it but you will get it pretty quick . You might get a few too tight ,just pop em out and do another one ,no big deal .

Brian_Rhoad

When I make chains I have a specila punch that is concaved. It rounds off the rivet head. You can't tell the difference between the factory rivet and the ones I do. Never had a chain come apart.

Good Feller

Sounds like there's not much to worry about as long as you make your rivet look like the rest of the factory rivets in the chain.

Good Feller

sawguy21

I spin until the flare just touches the strap, don't want to see a gap but it must move easily without binding. With practice, you will consistently feel the right pressure on the screw. Don't worry about speed.

Spin in the direction that is most comfortable. Being a southpaw, I find clockwise works best for me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!