iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filling in knotholes in flooring

Started by ellmoe, October 21, 2008, 08:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellmoe

I have a customer that purchased some rustic, spalded oak flooring from me. He kept all the knot holes. He wants to fill the holes in with something clear so the hole will show, but still seal up the hole. He will be using a water based urethane as the finish. Any suggestions?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

jason.weir

look into a pourable bar top epoxy, the stuff is self leveling and hard as wood pecker lips when cured.  Its expensive but just a little bit would fill a bunch of knots...

-Jason

ellmoe

Thanks Jason. Do you think that there could be a problem with the finish applied over the epoxy?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

metalspinner

The problem will be the epoxy oozing underneath the floor.  If a leveling type liquid is used, he will need to dam up the bottom of the knots prior to filling.  If he has not laid the floor yet, he can put tape on the bottom of the holes to seal them up.  Spinkle in a little saw dust on the exposed tape to match the color of the floor.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jason.weir

No idea on final finish compatibility..

-J

pigman

I have filled  nail holes in furniture with clear epoxy and the poly finsh seemed to stick to the epoxy just fine. At least it looked fine when I delivered the furniture to the customer. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ellmoe

Larry

Epoxy has worked well for me.  I also tried body putty one time dyed black.  It worked just as good as the epoxy.  I've never used a water based finish as your customer plans...he might want to test a couple of samples first.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

I've used clear epoxy with a polyurethane finish to fill knots in some cherry flooring and an apple coffee table.  It's been 2-3 years and I have no problems to report.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Chuck White

Quote from: metalspinner on October 21, 2008, 09:55:20 PM
The problem will be the epoxy oozing underneath the floor.  If a leveling type liquid is used, he will need to dam up the bottom of the knots prior to filling.  If he has not laid the floor yet, he can put tape on the bottom of the holes to seal them up.  Spinkle in a little saw dust on the exposed tape to match the color of the floor.

Another way would be to pour a little of the epoxy into the knot holes (to seal the bottom) and once it's cured, just fill the holes the rest of the way.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

and if you want it to look interesting you can drop in a few quarters or 22 shells and fill them on up. makes a nice conversation piece.

ellmoe

Quote from: ely on October 22, 2008, 11:57:38 AM
and if you want it to look interesting you can drop in a few quarters or 22 shells and fill them on up. makes a nice conversation piece.

This is Florida. I was thinking about palmetto bugs (cock roaches on steroids). :D

Mark

woodmills1

NICE, put the bugs in and then pour in the goop
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!