iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why did I wait so long?

Started by DWM II, October 20, 2008, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

Well, I finally broke my last wooden peavy bar!!! I promptly got into my old pickup and drove over to my favorite chain saw shop and bought myself a brand shiny new LOGRITE 4ft peavy. It also had the nice Sthil stickers on it to match my saw. While I was there I figure what the heck why not pick up some new skidding tongs. I didnt own any until then and shoot, I didnt know how much work I was creating for myself digging under logs to wrap chains for skidding.
So, moral of the story-stop procrastinating people and rig up to do this work, these tools are specialized for the work we do and who knows, they may save you a sore back, some smashed fingers or toes and will speed up time on the job.
Stewardship Counts!

backwoods sawyer

So elaborate a little as to what is so great about the Logrite:

I have been hearing references to these  Logrite 4ft peavey's  but it has been kinda like trying to figure out what a politician really wants to do, as to the difference between a standard wood handled Peavey and the Logrite.

I have four wooden handle Peaveys and they all bite into the log differently. One works real good for the thick soft bark of big western red cedar, but you had better grab the other one when you want to move a big ol' Doug-fir as the hook is at the wrong angle. The other two work OK for smaller logs.

What is the Logrite best suited for and least suited for? 

As for log tongs, you will find that you need three of them, small, medium, and a large set. They will save you time and effort though.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dan_Shade

the best way to become a logrite convert is to use one.

I'm a pretty anti-commercial, non-endorsement type of person.  I had a pile of home made, and old school cant hooks, and I was out on a site one day with Ga_Boy, and I just happened to pick his logrite cant hook up to roll a log over...

wow, they BITE, you don't have to jam it into the log, the hook geometry is incomparable to the old cant hooks.  the aluminum handle that won't break is another advantage.

I highly recommend them.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

The Log-Rite cant hook or peavey is best suited for rolling logs. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

I have the 60 inch cant hook. It bites the first time, every time and doesn't let go until you make it let go. Big logs, small logs, thick bark, thin bark, it doesn't matter. They work!!!
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I'd also say it is the bite...no slippage. When you go to grab a log, it grabs. No extra jab needed. The handle is great too, and the weight and thin-ness of the handle is better than the wood, but it really (to me) is the bite.

Hard to really believe, until they are tried. Then as others have said, ya always grab the logrite.

Don't get fooled by the mock-ups (knock-offs) like at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 20, 2008, 08:01:12 PM
So elaborate a little as to what is so great about the Logrite:

I can elaborate on that! :)  The main thing is that Logrite makes an extremely high-quality product that you can depend on.  There are other hooks that work well, and some that don't work too well, but you can depend on a Logrite to work well every time.  When I used wood handled tools, I always had to be careful to not leave them out, but I don't have to worry with the Logrite.  Aluminum doesn't rot.  It also doesn't split or break, like a wooden handle can do.  I have a Peavy brand cant hook that grabs just about as well as a Logrite, but the handle is split off right at the grip, and it is uncomfortable to use.  I also have an old cant hook that is a thing of beauty, and it works really well, but the handle is split so that I'm afraid to use it anymore.  It is much more valuable as a wallhanger than as a daily user.

The biggest reason, as if we needed another reason, is that the Logrite folks are sponsors and active members of this forum, who help to make all of this possible.  Besides that, they are a good wholesome family who treat their customers fairly and raise their kids right.  I just can't think of a reason to use anything but a Logrite hook.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ga_Boy

Why Log Rite? 

They bite and don not slip period.  The only problem you may have (if you can call this a problem), they bite so well you may have to keep a hammer close by to knock the hook out of the log.

I like the Pevey's over the Cant Hook, as I am getting older (or lazy); the Pevey I can sick in the ground and not have to bend over to pick it up.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

JV

LogRite makes quality tools.  I have a 60" peavey, a mill hook, and

a hookaroon.  Customers would grab the peavey and would leave me with the wood

handled one.  I solved that at this year's Paul Bunyan show with another 60" peavey.

They come in different colors and if you want to discourage someone from taking yours,

you could get one in Tamiam pink.   :D  I also ordered a

contractor's pruning saw with 11' reach from them, should have it today.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Chuck White

LogRite hooks just don't miss! ;)

I have a 4-foot cant and I expect to get another one in the spring for next season!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DWM II

Yep, I was skeptical at first on how much better could they possibly be, but the first time I hooked a log with it I knew it was different. It just GRABS, no slip. Thanks LogRite for making such a good product I dont believe I will break another wood handle peavy (at least not mine ;).)
Stewardship Counts!

maple flats

I second that. So far i have a 60" and a 78" Arkey Stick. The 78" is much heavier so I only use it when the size is really needed. I have never had either slip, they grab without exerting any jambing force like I had to with my old wooden handled ones. The geometry of the hook is perfect and the hooks pivot very easily, never hang up. They are so easy to use that an untrained child can pick one up and get it to work.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

backwoods sawyer

12 out of 12 replies all very pleased with the product.
Were can you get that kind of support for any product.

I see there is even a dealer with in 50 miles of me. I may just have to try one of these things out. The price is comparable to a good wood handle Peeve.

Next questions:
1.   Is the cant hook a better option, or is the Peeve a better option, if both are the same length?
2.   What length is everyone using? And why? 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Radar67

I use the 60 inch cant hook because I turn and roll fair sized logs by myself. It gives me the extra leverage I need for the 18 to 22 inch logs.

Can't answer the cant hook or peavy question, some say it is personal preference, I just don't know.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

I find I prefer a peavey when the logs are on the ground, but the spike gets in the way when you are using it on the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don K

In my experience the peavey is good if you have to scoot very many logs on the ground. you can jam to point in the ground to get a good pivot point. I bought a tractor with a FEL to scoot logs with so I use the cant hooks to turn on the mill. I have my daddy's old wood handled peavey to do what little scooting I need but I have the 48 and 60 inch logrite cant hooks and you would get a knot on your head if you tried to make off with either one of them. ;D  I think the cant hook gives a better grab for turning cants.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DWM II

I bought the peavy simply because thats what was offered at the store. I do like being able to spike it into the ground and I havent had any trouble turning cants on the mill. I may have bought the 60" if it had been available at the store, I could use more leverage rolling big oak logs, but hey, if I need another one I may just skip the 60" and get the Arky stick. ;D
Stewardship Counts!

bandmiller2

And I thought you logriters were just ,danceing with thems what brung ya, may shake loose some coin and try one.I like a short cant hook on the circle mill ,dosen't get fouled in the overhead.Had a 2' dixie but the guy that bought the mill wouldn't leave without it,handiest little cant I ever had.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!