iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rosettes

Started by tyb525, October 19, 2008, 07:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I was looking at the new Grizzly catalog, and saw these rosette cutters. I had never seen them before, but I realized that that's how they are made.

Anyways, I wondered, could one make a profit selling rosettes(if there is a market)? It seems like you could use the small scraps that tend to collect, and those areas between knots that are too small to use for anything else.
I looked at some cutters on the internet. I see that Woodstock, Amana, Grizzly, Big Horn, Wood River, Roman Carbide, and others, make them.

How does HSS compare to carbide, for a medium amount of use (about 50 uses at first). Carbide is more expensive ($60+ more), but does the longevity make it a better value? I'm guessing you can sharpen the HSS cutters, to a certain extent.

As for the method of doing it, which is the best way? A drill press (would have to have hold downs), or chucked in a lathe?
Making rosettes seems like it could be fun.

Thanks, Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don_Papenburg

I think chucked in a lathe would be the better way .  The best way would be set up in a bridgeport.    I think that if you wanted to make money with rosettes that you would have to offer the trim to go with them.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

Member Pappy from Maine has a Rosette business along with some other stuff.

GF

Even the carbide cutters after making several hundreds normally require sharpening, you will know they need sharpening when they tear out some.  I ran mine in a milling machine with a special jig I built for it.   I had about 6 carbide cutters with the same pattern, so if one started to tear out I put in another.

GF

tyb525

I kinda figured that I would have to sell trim/moulding also for anyone to buy rosettes. I couldn't run a "business" just selling rosettes-I don't think there is a big enough market. It looked interesting but it doesn't seem like it would be profitable.

Thanks, Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tim L

They say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask . Whats a rosette ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

woodmills1

they are the corner blocks with circular designs that you see at the tops of windows and doors.

I have a rossette cutter that I used with a jig set up on my 1/2HP drill press.  It works and I have made at least a hundred, but be prepared to sand out the grain tear that almost always occurs where the rotating cutter crosses the grain.  I bought it to fill a large order years ago and almost sanded away my finger nail making them look good. :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

lacapic

There was an old timer around here who could build just about anything and he usually did. He made himself a rosette cutter and I bought some from him to put around the doors and windows of my sister's house. I asked him if he made any money at it and if he had much business. He smiled and said the business kept him busy because he was supplying the local building stores. Within a year he lost all his business because the bigger molding companies set themselves up. Years later when I built my house, I bought a rosette cutter and a drill press and made all the rosettes for my house (2400 sq.ft.)... that's a lot of rosettes! I don't know if I could compete with the big outfits but it was rewarding to make my own rosettes.

getoverit

I thought you were talking about making wood rosettes for acoustic guitars. Luthiers are always looking for small scraps of unusual wood for this use, and the unusual wood can also be used for headstock overlays so that everything matches.

Dont expect to get rich with them, but should prove to be another way to make a little pocket change for otherwise useless wood.

Spaulted wood, burl, curly wood....anything unusual will work. Has to be about 5" square in order to be of any value. Thickness doesnt really matter.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine made a big pile of them for some restoration job. He set up the vise on his milling machine to position them and also set the depth and just started punching them out. Milling machines are so cool. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

My dad has a milling machine out in the barn...hopefully we can get it moved into my shop sometime so it wont completley rust.

Larry

Nephew bought one of the cutters.  We never could make it work in a drill press...maybe a milling machine is the answer. 

I did make some for nephew using a cobbied up router setup...it was way to slow for any production work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

I would think the best way they would sell would be if your are in the carpentry business. I can't see anyone coming around here to pick them up unless you set out a box or bin, had finished lumber in another bin/stack and pieces of custom furniture in another section. I guess you just have to be in the right market where there are not a lot of do it your selfers bringing demand down. Might work in populous areas, but probably not here. Too rural, and not a huge volume of housing going up. I know that is defeatist attitude, but usually a lot cheaper outcome. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GF

When I tried them in a drill press they didnt work well, once I started using the milling machine they worked great.  

GF

I sold alot of boxes of 200 rosettes on ebay a couple years back when home building was booming.

isawlogs

Courious as to what the diference witht he drill press versus the milling machine , was it the speed of the machine or less vibration ... just wondering what made it easier to make them on the milling machine .  :P   ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

The milling machine has the mass that stops side thrust from the turning tool sticking in the grain.  It also has a power feed that slowly cuts into the wood at a steady rate.Because it was made for machining steel ,wood is a piece of cake .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bck

I have a cutter I use in the drill press, works good as long as I clamp piece to drill press table. I have also used the cutter with a plunge router but liked the drill press better.

When I first got interested in woodworking there was a guy in his 80's I used to go talk to. He did a lot of reproduction furniture work. I have been in several houses he built and he loved to use rosettes. He didnt use a rosette cutter though he just put a block of wood in the lathe and using regular lathe tools and made them. I wish I could have had the chance to spend more time with him  :(

tyb525

I wonder if a lathe would be any better than a drill press. Still probably not as good as a mill though. Maybe I should try my hand at it freehand on the lathe. Even if I can't get them exactly the same, if I built my own house they would be neat to have.

pigman

I have made a few rosetts  with a lathe using lathe tools. I only needed them for some furniture and I wanted the handchafted look. I just screwed a square block to the face plate and turned away. I sure wouldn't want to make verry many that way.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodmills1

since the rossete cutter is sharp half way on each side how would someone go about resharpenig one?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bck

I made probably 15 or 20 on the lathe and was able to get some pairs that matched good. they all didnt match when layed out together but if you only use two at a time it wasnt to hard to get pairs that matched good.

Thank You Sponsors!