iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How thick for White Oak Decking?

Started by Larry, October 16, 2008, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I need 500 square foot for my deck.  Thinking about using white oak...all heartwood.  I would like to end up with it being around 1 1/8" as it would be easier to dry check free than thicker stuff and also conserve material.  It will all be under roof and the joists are 16" OC.  Any thoughts?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tyb525

I'd say 5/4 or 6/4, but it depends on the spacing of the joists too.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ladylake

1-1/8 should be plenty thick 16" on center. I think treated decking is close to that and some are 24" on center.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dodgy Loner

My dad's deck has 5/4 treated pine over 16" joists, and it's rock-solid.  I think you'll be very happy with 1 1/8" white oak decking.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Kansas

1 1/4 by 6 inches wide is what our customers usually want. They put them down green, and either dont gap or gap very little. That usually gives them about 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap when they dry. I wouldnt go too  thin... you want a nice strong deck to hold the hottub up.

backwoods sawyer

That hot tub don't need a single deck board to hold it up. What is needed is a good under carriage to support a hot tub.

I build my decks undercarriage so that they are strong enough for me to drive my truck on them and not wobble.

I would cut it standard dimension 1 5/8". I had a 350 lb calf step thru a 1 1/8" Oak board in a trailer. when oak brakes it gives all at once, and will shear off at the joist. You want your deck to support anything and everything that you may decide to put on it over its lifetime. Like having a couple of your largest buddies moving the big refrigerator with a dolly that has small wheels. (Do not take that wrong)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Larry

Quote from: Kansas on October 17, 2008, 01:43:44 PM
you want a nice strong deck to hold the hottub up.

Absolutely...a little spirits, couple of lady friends for company, and I'll watch the sunset over the mountains. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

I'm guessing you won't even notice the sunset. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!