iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help

Started by sgtmaconga, October 14, 2008, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

Beleve it or not i'm looking for a HEAVY duty hand crank winch to mound on my trailer. Since i'm not doing this for a living a hand crank would work best for me. i had a 12V 8000 lb winch which burned up on me.

i've lookd at all the boat winches and there too small. any sugestions?
Measure twice cut once

Raider Bill

Sarge,
I've seen some gear reduced HEAVY duty hand cranks on some big boat trailers? You need bigger that that?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Radar67

I was told this is a grain elevator winch. You might try the farm supply.

You might try ebay as well. This is an older one.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

RSteiner

There are some heavy duty hand crank boat winches out there.  Most of the larger ones have two ratios, you just move the hand crank to a different position. 

You might try McMaster-Carr industrial supply. 

Randy
Randy

Kevin

If you incorpoarate a mechanical advantage into your pulling system it will reduce the pull significantly.

rebocardo

> any sugestions?

Better electric winch, only leave enough cable on the drum to reach the back of the trailer, use additional lengths to get it closer to the trailer if you have to, use a pulley block, shortest fattest cable from battery to winch. Running a cable from the front of the truck to the trailer never works unless it is a 2/0 charge cable.

Or a $140 4 ton hand winch with 40 feet of cable with a couple of pulley blocks.

Dodgy Loner

I got two farm winches that were used for raising the doors of chicken houses from a friend of mine.  They look very similar to the one Radar posted pictures of.  I made removable mounts for the side of my trailer, and I use them in tandem to parbuckle logs onto the trailer.  I got one log on that was 38" in diameter and 10' long.  I believe I estimated the weight at 5000 lbs.  It only took me and one friend, and we never broke a sweat.  Those farm winches are beautiful things 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

raycon

I don't have a picture of the winch that was/is on my wood-mizer. There is probably a few photos in the archive.
It was slow but worked well.  Maybe wood-mizer would sell you one or give you a price and load capacity?

Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!