iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for hardwood chips...what are they worth?

Started by Banjo picker, October 13, 2008, 11:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I know anything is worth what you can get for it....but......There is a market for hardwood chips about 15 miles from me....they will take drops also.. up to 18 inches  no more....from a tie log .....they are paying in the $15  per ton range right now....this will get rid of all the waste side wood that cant be sent to the pallet mill....any suggestions as to chipper for slabs......( some don't get too high of a review chipping slabs it seems) and is this in the profit range....?   It would at least get rid of the waste..and offset cost of the side wood I could not normally sell...even being that it is less than half what I paid for the raw product....Would I be better giving them away or filling up a gully?????   I know some of you have already been there....Hoping to learn from your exp.... Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

backwoods sawyer

A Norman chipper will handle slab wood like no tomorrow.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ron Wenrich

It depends on your volume.  Running a chipper isn't really cheap.  Prices for chips in our area are about $30/ton and that's delivered.  So, you'll need a trailer to go along with the chipper.  You'll also need someone to sharpen your knives.  Also, figure about 2 tons of chips per Mbf of lumber.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Banjo picker

Thanks guys,  The purchaser indicated that they might move the price up some before too long...With a little work one of my box trailers could probably be used...they have a truck lift....Hopefully someone can come up with an est on cost per ton to chip....We do not have 3 phase...would probably have to be combustion eng of some type...chipper would not be fun untill it could be fully utilized...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ron Wenrich

Before we were of the size to have a chipper run full time and had electricity, we run one with a Detroit 671.  They used to save the slabwood and have 2 guys run it through the chipper on a Saturday morning.  Production was probably 20-25 Mbf/week, which would yield about a trailerload of chips.

woody1

I had a call from a local sewer authority wanting to buy hardwood chip. They said they needed a steady supply. I quess it would be worth checking into, if you had the chips.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Ron Wenrich

I think they use them for digesting the sludge.  I know of one guy that was taking trailerloads down to the Philly area.  I think it depends on the type of treatment.

Are chips in short supply in your area?  Seems like you have quite a few mills, not to mention the big one just up the mountain from you.

cheyenne

Could you buck it up for firewood. Thats what i do & i sell a ton of it. Both hard & soft wood. Campground users love it....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Brian_Rhoad

Ron, $30 a ton. Is that for clean (debarked) chips or with bark? That seems pretty good compared to a few years ago.

Ron Wenrich

Its a clean chip, but it goes for mulch and bedding.  I'm pretty sure that's the price, and Glatfelter is up in price.  Fewer mills are cutting so their chip supply is less. 

Thank You Sponsors!